Author Topic: iOS 8  (Read 11701 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: iOS 8
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:01:13 »
Any good widgets recommendations? I kinda like Wgdt which is a collection of cool widgets such as a timezone and currency converter. Very useful!

Not really... The Verge has a post of them but non of them are that great... I can't even get the NYT site to work lol

Offline Belfong

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:08:15 »
I think iphone 6 and 6+ is not targeting at Android users. You made a good point. No sane Android users who care about specs will go for iPhone 6. But an iPhone users will consider it. As well, ex iPhone users who went to Android seeking bigger screens might return back to Apple. But yeah, if you always been an Android users, you probably does not know how sweet the grass is here at the walled garden of Eden. Ha ha.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:13:15 »
I think iphone 6 and 6+ is not targeting at Android users. You made a good point. No sane Android users who care about specs will go for iPhone 6. But an iPhone users will consider it. As well, ex iPhone users who went to Android seeking bigger screens might return back to Apple. But yeah, if you always been an Android users, you probably does not know how sweet the grass is here at the walled garden of Eden. Ha ha.

Oh I have an iPod touch (well I don't use it anymore). So I know iOS. Used to jailbreak it and mod it to hell and back. Modern Andorid phones (with Android 4.x) run just as nice as iPhones. I had quite some reservations before I got my Nexus, but they have not turned out true.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:16:28 »
One thing I do find is true - the non tech savvy people - tend to like Apple. There's still a huge, huge market for Apple. The tech people will still like Android due to spec comparison. I guess Apple are not targeting this denomination.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 10:40:57 »
I believe the simple answer is that they listened to their customers? Sure - probably Jobs is too stuck up to listen to customers but I think Cook is wiser in this case.

Not sure if that was a wise decision. Now the iPhones have to really compete against Android and Windows phones. Like for example for me, when I see the iPhone 6 I would have no reason to buy it. My Nexus 4 is 2 years old now, cost half the money, has a screen as big as it with a tad lower resolution (326ppi vs 318ppi) and twice as much RAM. The camera on the iPhone is probably better and maybe it has more memory but that's not something that would convince me.

Sure those people who had iPhones all the time will probably buy them again. But I'm not sure if you could convince an Android user.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Apple is the one company making huge profit on every device sold, while most of not all Android makers are fighting each other for price and specs.

The iPhone is the best looking phone on the market and the best built, it also had a history of having the best cameras.

A phone isn't a luxury item anymore in developed nations, yet Apple have managed to make there phones just that.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:03:10 »
The iPhone is the best looking phone on the market and the best built, it also had a history of having the best cameras.

Best looking is not really objective. I really liked the look of the iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S looked just weird to me because of its aspect ratio, and the 6/6+ goes back to a rounded back like the 3G/3GS had which I don't really like. Same reason I don't like Samsung phones look-wise.
Best built - also not sure about that. Have you ever opened one up? I'm not sure how to measure that. Is a glued in battery a good or a bad thing for example?
Best cameras - wasn't that the Lumia series? Or at least some of them?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:17:27 »
Best looking is subjective true but the all black 5 and the black 4/4s are two of the best looking phones they are just so handsome.
Best built, by this I mean general build quality. The iPhone 4 onwards are super sturdy solid phones, alot of the Android plastic phones suffer with flex and just feeling cheap. The only one I think that comes close is Nokia.

To be honest I'm no camera expert but from what I've heard and seen the iPhone produces the best images.

Sorry really struggling with a SwiftKey for long posts haha

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:48:12 »
1. Best looking is subjective true but the all black 5 and the black 4/4s are two of the best looking phones they are just so handsome.
2. Best built, by this I mean general build quality. The iPhone 4 onwards are super sturdy solid phones, alot of the Android plastic phones suffer with flex and just feeling cheap. The only one I think that comes close is Nokia.
3. To be honest I'm no camera expert but from what I've heard and seen the iPhone produces the best images.

1. I agree with that. Really great looking phones.
2. Oh that really depends. For example the HTC One has a metal body, or my Nexus 4 has glass on both sides (Gorilla Glass 2 on the front, not sure what's on the back). No bending or creaking there.
3. Some of the Lumias have insane cameras. The 1020 has a 41MP camera and produces really good shots (I can only find German tests but feel free to look up some tests of it).

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:13:34 »
Yeah I don't doubt they are great, but I wouldn't say they compete with anything because lolWindowsphone :P

And your right about the m8 etc but it's taken along time to get there and the marketing had already been done by Apple and so still the most popular Android phones are horrible ****ty Samsung made from the cheapest nastiest **** they can find lol

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:38:09 »
One thing I do find is true - the non tech savvy people - tend to like Apple. There's still a huge, huge market for Apple. The tech people will still like Android due to spec comparison. I guess Apple are not targeting this denomination.

Im a huge Tech nerd, I just simply Despise Android and Windows mobile. :)

Though, Im starting to hate Apple now. Why cant they just let us jailbreak..  :-[ Would be the PERFECT OS.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 13:58:53 »
I have a 4S and was going to update today, but I'm thinking I best hold off. This thing has to last another couple months as I don't yet have the funds to upgrade to a 6 Plus.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:25:56 »

Though, Im starting to hate Apple now. Why cant they just let us jailbreak..  :-[ Would be the PERFECT OS.

I don't quite agree to jail breaking and it's not because of Apple I'm thinking of, but of all the small indie developers that make a living from the app ecosystem. Jail breaking will affect sales of their app for sure and how will one continue to develop and grow if they are not generating revenue? I'm glad that Apple exert control here which is the reasons apps for iPhones are way better and had good quality compare to Android.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:37:14 »
I don't quite agree to jail breaking and it's not because of Apple I'm thinking of, but of all the small indie developers that make a living from the app ecosystem. Jail breaking will affect sales of their app for sure and how will one continue to develop and grow if they are not generating revenue? I'm glad that Apple exert control here which is the reasons apps for iPhones are way better and had good quality compare to Android.

Jailbreaking does not mean that you also pirate apps. I did it for changing out icons and applying different styles. If Apple allowed more customization, there would be no need for jailbreaking apart for pirating - then you could say that jailbreaking is "bad".

...apps for iPhones are way better and had good quality compare to Android.

You mean like Apple maps?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 19:45:59 »
Well, jailbreaking make it so much more enticing to pirate apps.

As for Apple maps, my statement on quality is not about apps by Apple but the quality third party apps in iOS vs Android and this is only possible because Apple disallow jailbreaking, thus 3rd party developer can thrive and develop better apps.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 23:36:19 »
I believe the simple answer is that they listened to their customers? Sure - probably Jobs is too stuck up to listen to customers but I think Cook is wiser in this case.

Not sure if that was a wise decision. Now the iPhones have to really compete against Android and Windows phones. Like for example for me, when I see the iPhone 6 I would have no reason to buy it. My Nexus 4 is 2 years old now, cost half the money, has a screen as big as it with a tad lower resolution (326ppi vs 318ppi) and twice as much RAM. The camera on the iPhone is probably better and maybe it has more memory but that's not something that would convince me.

Sure those people who had iPhones all the time will probably buy them again. But I'm not sure if you could convince an Android user.

Android had widgets and extensions and such first, but Apple took the time to implement them in a very secure manner. Android is very malware prone. Many people only put up with Android so they could have have a bigger screen without going to a tablet. Most others put up with Android because the devices are cheaper.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 23:44:23 »

Best looking is not really objective. I really liked the look of the iPhone 4/4S, 5/5S looked just weird to me because of its aspect ratio, and the 6/6+ goes back to a rounded back like the 3G/3GS had which I don't really like. Same reason I don't like Samsung phones look-wise.
Best built - also not sure about that. Have you ever opened one up? I'm not sure how to measure that. Is a glued in battery a good or a bad thing for example?
Best cameras - wasn't that the Lumia series? Or at least some of them?

Best != most megapixels. I went and tried out a 6+ and while shaking the phone very aggressively and panning around took several pictures - I was amazed how clear they came out. And the technologiy is impressive in other ways too. Besides, the best Lumia isn't a phone with a camera, it's a camera with a phone. And when you think about it that way, it isn't very great compared to other devices engineered primarily to be cameras.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 23:50:28 »

"Better" specs != better overall balance of performance, battery life, and experience. I saw LOTS of people standing in the long iPhone 6/6+ purchase reservation line using android phones when I went to the Apple Store Friday to have a look at the new devices.

(Typed on an iPad mini Retina running IOS8)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 05:27:42 »
Best != most megapixels. I went and tried out a 6+ and while shaking the phone very aggressively and panning around took several pictures - I was amazed how clear they came out. And the technologiy is impressive in other ways too. Besides, the best Lumia isn't a phone with a camera, it's a camera with a phone. And when you think about it that way, it isn't very great compared to other devices engineered primarily to be cameras.

I'm aware that pixels don't mean quality. Still if I want to get a phone with a very good camera, I'd rather go for the Lumia.

Android had widgets and extensions and such first, but Apple took the time to implement them in a very secure manner. Android is very malware prone. Many people only put up with Android so they could have have a bigger screen without going to a tablet. Most others put up with Android because the devices are cheaper.

Widgets and extensions shouldn't provide attack points for malware. And if it took Apple 4 years to implement Widgets in a secure manner, that does not really speak for Apple. They didn't implement that because they didn't want to, not because they tried to make it very secure.
And to "malware-prone": you're aware that every jailbreak is using a security exploit, right?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 05:56:42 »
I'm aware that pixels don't mean quality. Still if I want to get a phone with a very good camera, I'd rather go for the Lumia.
If you want to get a phone with a very good camera, get one of these:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151671/panasonic-leica-cm1-android-cameraphone

I think the Lumia 1020 is roughly comparable to the previous generation iPhone (5S) w/r/t photo quality. It has more pixels, but its white balancing doesn’t seem as good to me, the flash isn’t as effective, and in low light situations both perform about equally. In bright daylight, if you take the output from both and heavily edit in Photoshop, you might be able to eke out a better picture from the Nokia phone, but typical pictures are going to mostly be comparable, and in many marginal situations the iPhone 5S pictures will come out a bit better.

I suspect that in most circumstances the iPhone 6 will make similar pictures to the Lumia 1020, better in some conditions and perhaps a bit worse in others. I wouldn’t worry too much about the resolution difference per se: none of these lenses or sensors are actually big enough to resolve 40 megapixels. A 5 megapixel DSLR from a few years ago with a nice fixed 50mm f/1.8 lens at about f/5.6 is still going to get you a noticeably sharper photo than either one – for why, see
and
and other talks in that series – just search youtube for PhotoTechEDU.

If you plan to shoot video (especially high framerate video), if you care about focus speed or burst shooting, if you are looking to take pictures with flash, if you care about white balance straight out of the camera, or if you want to play around with the hundreds of iOS image editing apps, I’d go for the iPhone 6. If you want the sharpest picture (because the lens/sensor are a bit bigger) in optimal daylight conditions, you might want to consider the Lumia.

Overall, I’d probably decide based on which phone operating system you like best. I think both are pretty great nowadays, and there are some neat apps on the Lumia such as the Nokia Maps app. But obviously iOS is more popular so there is a much wider selection of software for it, if you care about that.

« Last Edit: Sun, 21 September 2014, 07:18:36 by jacobolus »

Offline Altis

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 10:47:11 »
...I think the Lumia 1020 is roughly comparable to the previous generation iPhone (5S) w/r/t photo quality. It has more pixels, but its white balancing doesn’t seem as good to me, the flash isn’t as effective, and in low light situations both perform about equally. In bright daylight, if you take the output from both and heavily edit in Photoshop, you might be able to eke out a better picture from the Nokia phone, but typical pictures are going to mostly be comparable, and in many marginal situations the iPhone 5S pictures will come out a bit better.

I suspect that in most circumstances the iPhone 6 will make similar pictures to the Lumia 1020, better in some conditions and perhaps a bit worse in others. I wouldn’t worry too much about the resolution difference per se: none of these lenses or sensors are actually big enough to resolve 40 megapixels. A 5 megapixel DSLR from a few years ago with a nice fixed 50mm f/1.8 lens at about f/5.6 is still going to get you a noticeably sharper photo than either one – for why, see
and

The thing is the 1020 has 4 times the area on its sensor. It doesn't actually record at 41 MP, it downsamples it. But having a 1/1.5" sensor instead of 1/3" is going to make a big difference. As for the flash, the 1020 has a xenon flash instead of LED, making it substantially more powerful and useful.

You can say the white balance is off, but that just refers to the JPEG engine itself, and can be changed later (especially since the 1020 shoots in RAW, IIRC),

That said, the iPhone does take great photos, and is perfectly acceptable in most shooting situations and for most people.

Best != most megapixels. I went and tried out a 6+ and while shaking the phone very aggressively and panning around took several pictures - I was amazed how clear they came out.....

See above, but that really isn't how optical stabilization works. You get, at most, a few degrees of stability. Shaking it aggressively won't really be helped by OIS, but rather by a very fast shutter speed.

- - -

Anyways, back to iOS 8. I'm trying to figure out if I should update my 4S. I seriously regretted putting 7.0 on it as it was absolutely terrible (and not just on the 4S, but on everything). 7.1 addressed the speed issues to an acceptable level, but it took half a year to get there.  :eek:

I'm wondering how it performs after it's had a chance to index and settle down. Realistically, I should probably wait til a .1 or just avoid it altogether.

I often forget just how fast and snappy iOS 6 is until I use a 4S or 5 with iOS 6 on it... it's so fast. Unfortunately, my muscle memory seems to still be set up for that kind of speed, and 7 is constantly missing taps/swipes because of the animation delays.

I really don't want to burn this thing by putting 8 on it, then finding out it's unbearable and not being able to revert. It's honestly one of the things I despise most about Apple... they don't care if they ruin your devices with one-way, arm-twist updates.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:35:51 »
If 7 runs terrible on 4S, 8 will be worse. Don't even think about it. Some iPhone 5 (not 5s) users are complaining about lag using iOS 8.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 19:37:38 »
The 6S is so silly looking, that goofy behemoth makes me giggle every time I see it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:36:52 »
The 6S is so silly looking, that goofy behemoth makes me giggle every time I see it.

The 6 Plus?

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 01:45:19 »
I have a 4S and was going to update today, but I'm thinking I best hold off. This thing has to last another couple months as I don't yet have the funds to upgrade to a 6 Plus.

Dont do it! My 5 lags.. Going to get a 5S eventually..

If you want to get a phone with a very good camera, get one of these:
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151671/panasonic-leica-cm1-android-cameraphone
Show Image

I think the Lumia 1020 is roughly comparable to the previous generation iPhone (5S) w/r/t photo quality. It has more pixels, but its white balancing doesn’t seem as good to me, the flash isn’t as effective, and in low light situations both perform about equally. In bright daylight, if you take the output from both and heavily edit in Photoshop, you might be able to eke out a better picture from the Nokia phone, but typical pictures are going to mostly be comparable, and in many marginal situations the iPhone 5S pictures will come out a bit better.

and

If you plan to shoot video (especially high framerate video), if you care about focus speed or burst shooting, if you are looking to take pictures with flash, if you care about white balance straight out of the camera, or if you want to play around with the hundreds of iOS image editing apps, I’d go for the iPhone 6. If you want the sharpest picture (because the lens/sensor are a bit bigger) in optimal daylight conditions, you might want to consider the Lumia.

Overall, I’d probably decide based on which phone operating system you like best. I think both are pretty great nowadays, and there are some neat apps on the Lumia such as the Nokia Maps app. But obviously iOS is more popular so there is a much wider selection of software for it, if you care about that.

Uhhhhhhhh...... This thing looks fricken SWEET!

Jailbreaking does not mean that you also pirate apps. I did it for changing out icons and applying different styles. If Apple allowed more customization, there would be no need for jailbreaking apart for pirating - then you could say that jailbreaking is "bad".

...apps for iPhones are way better and had good quality compare to Android.

You mean like Apple maps?

Exactly, I love it for customizing and tweaking things Apple should have done and or just simple things like colors.

If 7 runs terrible on 4S, 8 will be worse. Don't even think about it. Some iPhone 5 (not 5s) users are complaining about lag using iOS 8.

My 5 lags, Id love to get a 5S one day. :]

haha .. Like a Note.. ;o

Offline sobe

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 05:04:05 »
All this talk about iOS8 lag, iOS8 actually made my 5S a bit snappier overall..... No issues from personal use so far, at least not yet. We'll see if anything crops up.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 08:06:29 »

All this talk about iOS8 lag, iOS8 actually made my 5S a bit snappier overall..... No issues from personal use so far, at least not yet. We'll see if anything crops up.

Sobe, did you update via computer or over the air?  I've heard folks who update 5S via computer have experienced far fewer issues.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:31:55 »

I would argue that the overall quality of pictures taken with the iPhone's camera is pretty far up there, and perhaps even better than the Lumia.  But really, if you care about great pictures, you don't use an all-in-one device to take them; instead you purchase something dedicated and specifically optimized for the task.  A smartphone is an all-in-one device.

And to "malware-prone": you're aware that every jailbreak is using a security exploit, right?

Sure, a "security exploit" that requires me to plug in a cable to my own computer, and unlock my device to work.  Real life is that malware issues about on Android phones, for whatever reasons, and they don't on unjailbroken Apple phones.  It doesn't matter the specific reasons or specifications so much - Apple is all about delivering an overall nice and well-balanced experience, and they do better than anybody else in this.  Yes it costs a small premium, but personally I think it's worth it.

Offline caseyandgina

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 09:44:59 »
Best != most megapixels. I went and tried out a 6+ and while shaking the phone very aggressively and panning around took several pictures - I was amazed how clear they came out.....

See above, but that really isn't how optical stabilization works. You get, at most, a few degrees of stability. Shaking it aggressively won't really be helped by OIS, but rather by a very fast shutter speed.

I don't really know the implementation details, except that I thought that was the only difference between the 6 and 6+ cameras.  I did observe more blur when taking pictures in the same manner with the 6, which didn't happen on the 6+.  Maybe it was mere coincidence as it wasn't a controlled experiment, but it was pretty impressive.  I wouldn't buy a 6+ though it was unwieldy, but expect this better camera technology will trickle down into smaller models over time.

For the record my cell phone is a 5-year-old LG Net10 device that cost $20 new, which has only basic calling and text functionality (no MMS or internet).  Works fine (rarely used) and I don't plan to replace it any time soon.  The original battery will keep it powered up for about a month between charges, but in practice I charge it maybe once or twice a year as it stays turned off in my glove box most of the time.

I'm wondering how it performs after it's had a chance to index and settle down. Realistically, I should probably wait til a .1 or just avoid it altogether.

I'm personally an early adopter, but I do agree that the best idea is probably to wait for a point update.

I really don't want to burn this thing by putting 8 on it, then finding out it's unbearable and not being able to revert. It's honestly one of the things I despise most about Apple... they don't care if they ruin your devices with one-way, arm-twist updates.

Eh, you can always restore the phone to an earlier IOS version, no?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 10:04:50 »
Apple usually disallows old versions when they come out with a new one.
I'm back.

Offline Altis

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 15:55:30 »

Basically what heedpantsnow said. Once the new version of software is released, Apple stops signing the old software.

So if you restore a phone in iTunes (or have it done at the Apple store if there's an issue), it will always put you on the most up to date software that's available.

The issue is that you get burned by such a tactic. For example, the iPhone 4 really couldn't handle iOS 7. It ran okay on 6, but you couldn't put it back on 6.

To make matters worse, right after releasing 7, the whole SSL vulnerability fiasco happened, and they patched it. Although an iOS 6 patch was available to iPhone 3GS users, everyone else had to go on 7 to get the patch.

It's an arm-twist method at best. The whole idea is to have everyone on the latest software so developers don't have to support multiple versions (in theory)... but it also works in getting people to upgrade.

Think about it... an iPhone 4 struggles to just navigate the OS and do things like text messaging. It was nice and fast when it came out at doing these tasks... and there's little reason that it should run that much worse when doing them. Yet, you can't go back to having it work how it did before, only replace the device.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 16:11:15 »
Right. However it's even worse than arm twisting. Apple created an iMessage compatibility issue with iOS6 & then wouldn't patch it on iphone 4 or 4s. Only upgrading the OS would fix it, even though it previously worked fine. That kind of thing pisses me off: breaking devices that worked fine and then using that to force updating or upgrading.
I'm back.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:11:02 »

Basically what heedpantsnow said. Once the new version of software is released, Apple stops signing the old software.

So if you restore a phone in iTunes (or have it done at the Apple store if there's an issue), it will always put you on the most up to date software that's available.

The issue is that you get burned by such a tactic. For example, the iPhone 4 really couldn't handle iOS 7. It ran okay on 6, but you couldn't put it back on 6.

To make matters worse, right after releasing 7, the whole SSL vulnerability fiasco happened, and they patched it. Although an iOS 6 patch was available to iPhone 3GS users, everyone else had to go on 7 to get the patch.

It's an arm-twist method at best. The whole idea is to have everyone on the latest software so developers don't have to support multiple versions (in theory)... but it also works in getting people to upgrade.

Think about it... an iPhone 4 struggles to just navigate the OS and do things like text messaging. It was nice and fast when it came out at doing these tasks... and there's little reason that it should run that much worse when doing them. Yet, you can't go back to having it work how it did before, only replace the device.

You used to be able to use TinyUmbrella for local signing but I haven't kept up to date with their releases to know if it works with iOS 8 or not ...

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline sobe

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 20:04:53 »

Sobe, did you update via computer or over the air?  I've heard folks who update 5S via computer have experienced far fewer issues.

I updated via iTunes. If you've been with Android for as long as I have(the 5S is my first iPhone, but I quite like the more simplistic feel of the UI), you'd be aware of some issues that can crop up with those OTA updates :P

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 01:26:01 »

Offline Altis

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 11:29:09 »
Right. However it's even worse than arm twisting. Apple created an iMessage compatibility issue with iOS6 & then wouldn't patch it on iphone 4 or 4s. Only upgrading the OS would fix it, even though it previously worked fine. That kind of thing pisses me off: breaking devices that worked fine and then using that to force updating or upgrading.

I'm not sure about iMessage issues but I know FaceTime doesn't work anymore. My better half still has iOS 6 on her iPhone 5, we just found out when I went out of town that it no longer works. So there's that and the SSL security vulnerability that she can't patch without moving to iOS 7/8 (would be 8 now).

She also can't get the recall for the battery or sleep/wake button without being bumped up. I think she'll go as long as she can, then replace it with something else.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 15:50:23 »
Anyone else's GPS not working since the update? >_< so frustrating..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 05:36:52 »
Anyone else's GPS not working since the update? >_< so frustrating..
Mine ok, dustin. iPhone 5S 16GB.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 07:50:00 »
Anyone else having issues with using SwiftKey? Had my iPhone crash to a black screen three times when trying to use it /switch to it :/