Author Topic: Ultimate Hacking Keyboard  (Read 47627 times)

Offline blackbox

Re: Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 06:33:32 »
Split sixty sounds great! As said its pretty self explanatory.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:28:43 »
Ndrew has been brainstoring all day and here are some possible alternatives:

His first idea was Twin Sixty given that it's a 60% keyboard of two (twin) halves.  Turns out there's a ridiculously expensive watch on the market with that name. Not sure whether it's trademarked but there's a good chance it is.

My next idea was Twin Thirty given that 2*30% = 60%. According to Ndrew's opinion this doesn't sound that good and the formula is not that important. For example there's an engine called Twin 600 that features 2x300cm3 cylinders which is illogical if you think about it.

His next idea was Split Sixty with which I'm pretty much in love at this point. It describes this keyboard fairly well regarding the size and ergonomics and also sounds cool.

But prove us wrong! What is your opinion?

"Split sixty" is great.

Please reconsider the shape of the case. When the two halves are put together, this should be a rectangle. The pointy ears are a big turn off.

Please get rid of that LED display.

Even though I said the same thing, I have to +1 this again. I think the idea is awesome but that case design and display has to go.

A lot of people here buy keyboards because of their design. It is usually equal to the appeal functionality has. What enticed me to even become a keyboard enthusiast is how good they looked.

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
  • Lead developer of the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
    • Ultimate Hacking Keyboard
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:35:58 »

His first idea was Twin Sixty given that it's a 60% keyboard of two (twin) halves.  Turns out there's a ridiculously expensive watch on the market with that name. Not sure whether it's trademarked but there's a good chance it is.

My next idea was Twin Thirty given that 2*30% = 60%. According to Ndrew's opinion this doesn't sound that good and the formula is not that important. For example there's an engine called Twin 600 that features 2x300cm3 cylinders which is illogical if you think about it.

His next idea was Split Sixty with which I'm pretty much in love at this point. It describes this keyboard fairly well regarding the size and ergonomics and also sounds cool.

"Split sixty" is great.

Please reconsider the shape of the case. When the two halves are put together, this should be a rectangle. The pointy ears are a big turn off.

Even though I said the same thing, I have to +1 this again. I think the idea is awesome but that case design and display has to go.

A lot of people here buy keyboards because of their design. It is usually equal to the appeal functionality has. What enticed me to even become a keyboard enthusiast is how good they looked.

What you are asking for is a monumental redesign that's pretty much infeasible for the first version.  Also, I think split keyboards are a lot less trivial than non-split keyboards in this respect because of the bridge cable and because of the extra space is that's needed for the connectors (in our case 6P4C connectors).  Should you have any concrete ideas, we're open to it but probably not for the first version.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 12:52:48 »

"Split sixty" is great.

What you are asking for is a monumental redesign that's pretty much infeasible for the first version.  Also, I think split keyboards are a lot less trivial than non-split keyboards in this respect because of the bridge cable and because of the extra space is that's needed for the connectors (in our case 6P4C connectors).  Should you have any concrete ideas, we're open to it but probably not for the first version.

No problem. I'll wait for the second version then. Or the third one.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 06:57:34 »
I'd say leave the led display - it would be useful to know what layer the board is currently set to.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:35:51 »

"Split sixty" is great.

Gocha. I was just giving some feedback as I thought that was the purpose of the thread. I don't mean to sound like I'm dumping on your project. I truly wish you the best of luck.

As for concrete ideas, I'd say go with something a bit more rectangle and proportioned. It doesn't need to look exactly like every other 60% out there, but the curved area for the LED display looks like it leaves a lot of wasted space for a space saving split keyboard design. Also, the curved screen makes the font look crooked.

I would also vote to have the screen on the bottom portion but on the lip facing the user. Sort of where the code is on an FC660C(M)

I'm also not crazy about the "space mod" writing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:38:02 by OnTheBrink »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:42:51 »
I like it.  I don't really care what it's named.  Like others have mentioned, the durability of the cable worries me as I too have had countless of those things die.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 14:27:41 »
I wonder how well a keyboard like that would do in a wireless configuation?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 01:31:03 »

"Split sixty" is great.

Gocha. I was just giving some feedback as I thought that was the purpose of the thread. I don't mean to sound like I'm dumping on your project. I truly wish you the best of luck.

I didn't misunderstood your intention.  I really appreciate your feedback and thanks for the best wishes!

As for concrete ideas, I'd say go with something a bit more rectangle and proportioned. It doesn't need to look exactly like every other 60% out there, but the curved area for the LED display looks like it leaves a lot of wasted space for a space saving split keyboard design. Also, the curved screen makes the font look crooked.

Please note that the upper part cannot be as thin as other non-split boards because a 6P4C connector occupies a fair amount of space.  The shape can change in future version to be more rectangular but it'll be a little bulky around the top compared to non-split keyboards.  The current design has been chosen because it's at least not bulky all the way, only where necessary.  It might have not been the best compromise, though.  I believe the current one is the most minimalistic design possible given the constraints.

I would also vote to have the screen on the bottom portion but on the lip facing the user. Sort of where the code is on an FC660C(M)

I think there's hardly enough space on the bottom portion for a reasonably sized display.

I'm also not crazy about the "space mod" writing.

Do you mean the writing on the case?  Users should be able to see the function of the bottommost keys.  Do you have alternative suggestions?

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 01:33:07 »
I like it.  I don't really care what it's named.  Like others have mentioned, the durability of the cable worries me as I too have had countless of those things die.

How about providing not only the original retractable cable but a coil cable, too, guys?  It'd almost look like a telephone coil cable but shorter.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 07:06:08 »
I never quite understood modular connectors. What advantage does 6P4C have over, say, 4P4C? What's the advantage of having two unused contact positions in a situation such as this?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 12:51:58 »
I never quite understood modular connectors. What advantage does 6P4C have over, say, 4P4C? What's the advantage of having two unused contact positions in a situation such as this?

Good question, didn't give it a lot of thought so far...  Wider availability of various cables is the only significant advantage that I can think of.  6P4C may also be slightly more robust because of its larger size.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 03:51:50 »
gross

I spacebar with my left hand, so this would be like torture.
Yay another leftie-spacie. I thought I was alone!

I didn't know it was weird until a few days ago lol.

It's not weird, it is normal.  Anyone who says otherwise can take it up with me.  :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 03:56:57 »
gross

It's not weird, it is normal.  Anyone who says otherwise can take it up with me.  :)

Doing research for my portable board layout I discovered that a significant number of people use left thumb for space. Having them at least switchable is vital for a commercial product.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline aklt

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 18:37:30 »
Just found out about this keyboard.  A lot of good ideas I think...  Maybe too many
for a first keyboard?  Curious to see the reviews when it comes out!

Offline ika

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 21:39:31 »
Doing research for my portable board layout I discovered that a significant number of people use left thumb for space. Having them at least switchable is vital for a commercial product.

I once made a thread poll at Anandtech and I think it came out close to 50/50 for "only using left shift" vs right shift, and "only using left thumb" vs right thumb for space. Personally I would be unable to type on a keyboard without a left shift and left thumb space. I don't use my right hand for any modifiers, unless I'm messaging and go for ?->return. That's the only time I ever use my right shift.

Offline bryan11

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 08 September 2015, 23:32:44 »
The idea is good.  Personally, I'd prefer the ctrl and super keys to be swapped. 

Offline aklt

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 04:02:01 »
I am hoping that all keyboard layouts will be programmable, not just the custom key layouts.  It
would seem like an obvious thing to allow this kind of customization.

Offline crazystu

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 04:28:51 »
gross

I think my left thumb space bar typing style came from playing a lot of Counter-Strike/FPS games, where you hit space with your left hand to jump.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 12:57:31 »
I don't know much about hacking, but if its anything like coding you are going to spend more time trying to find that god damn bug than actually typing

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 15:35:23 »
I really like the idea of a split 60% keyboard so that it can be positioned more ergonomically.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 15:41:46 by ctm »
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 12:51:30 »
Their campaign just went live

Pity about the name...

Offline ika

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 13:01:28 »
Sounds like they're using pad-printed keycaps. That's too bad. I was hoping it would land closer to $150 but this seems to be engineered quite nicely.

Offline richfiles

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 01:38:43 »
Just out of curiosity: why did you choose those bendable leafs instead of (for example) pogopins that seem to be more prevalent?

Excellent question!  We've choosen this connector primarily because of space constraints.  Also, pogo pins are fabulously expensive costing > $10.  Even though I think this shouldn't be a huge pain point we can still revise this further given that we'll be able to find a pogo pin that is small enough, easy to source and not so terribly expensive.

I am doing a custom personal keyboard and wanted to have a magnetically detachable number pad. I was going to use pogo pins (being a one-off, I don't care what it costs). What I'm more uninterested in, are those steel magnetic interlock thingies. Is that an off the shelf component, and if so, what are they called and where can I find them? Are they fixed, or do they magnetically extend deeper when engaged?

Without those steel pegs, I'd basically expect my number pad to just connect purely by magnetic alignment. hit would have no secure strength or connection if I were to pick up or angle the keyboard to move or adjust it.

Also, I planned on using pogos similar to this one:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0900-8-15-20-76-14-11-0/ED1124-ND/3737527
These are only $0.81 in single quantities (presuming 5 connectors, $4.05 in single quantities). That being said, the parts have quantity breaks, so depending on how many of these keyboards get made, you could cut that down to $0.30 per pogo/$1.54 per keyboard for 100 keyboards made, or $0.21776 per pogo/$1.09 per keyboard for 500 keyboards made. That's just using that one particular part as an example.

This one costs a little more, but is still sub $1 pricing in single quantities, and offers a through hole mount. You'd need a small 90° PC board to mount them too, but if through hole solves complexities in basic pogo pun alignment during manufacture, then that's an option to consider as well. Maybe SMD pick and place can handle those pogos? I dunno. I probably will personally spend a little extra on a through hole variety, just to I can solder these to a small PC board that will maintain my alignment. All I need to do then, for my keyboard, is just snag a small PC board with the correctly spaced gold plated pads to act as contacts to the pogos.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0906-1-15-20-75-14-11-0/ED8181-ND/1147049
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2015, 02:08:10 by richfiles »
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)
Bluetooth Apple //c keyboard with Alps SKCM Amber Switches. (Build in Progress)

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:07:26 »
gross

The UHK being fully programmable / configurable, this shouldn't be a problem.

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:08:29 »
The idea is good.  Personally, I'd prefer the ctrl and super keys to be swapped. 

That's exactly my preference, too!

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:09:44 »
I am hoping that all keyboard layouts will be programmable, not just the custom key layouts.  It
would seem like an obvious thing to allow this kind of customization.

The UHK is full programmable / configurable.

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:11:25 »
Sounds like they're using pad-printed keycaps. That's too bad. I was hoping it would land closer to $150 but this seems to be engineered quite nicely.

According to our plans we'll be using laser-engraved keycaps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:23:22 »
Looks like an interesting idea but I HATE keyboards that use unusual key sizings. They've butchered the entire right hand side just for the sake of symmetry, instant turn off for me.

It appears that designers took some decisions with no input from keyboard aficionados, it may mean that the design is oriented more to a wider audience, which is good; but some at GH and other similar boards may not jump into it.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:24:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:10:25 by alienman82 »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:26:07 »
Looks like an interesting idea but I HATE keyboards that use unusual key sizings. They've butchered the entire right hand side just for the sake of symmetry, instant turn off for me.

It appears that designers took some decisions with no input from keyboard aficionados, it may mean that the design is oriented more to a wider audience, which is good; but some at GH and other similar boards may not jump into it.
They "asked" for feedback and then ignored it.

For example, it still has the same atrocious name.

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:31:20 »
Just out of curiosity: why did you choose those bendable leafs instead of (for example) pogopins that seem to be more prevalent?

Excellent question!  We've choosen this connector primarily because of space constraints.  Also, pogo pins are fabulously expensive costing > $10.  Even though I think this shouldn't be a huge pain point we can still revise this further given that we'll be able to find a pogo pin that is small enough, easy to source and not so terribly expensive.

I am doing a custom personal keyboard and wanted to have a magnetically detachable number pad. I was going to use pogo pins (being a one-off, I don't care what it costs). What I'm more uninterested in, are those steel magnetic interlock thingies. Is that an off the shelf component, and if so, what are they called and where can I find them? Are they fixed, or do they magnetically extend deeper when engaged?

Without those steel pegs, I'd basically expect my number pad to just connect purely by magnetic alignment. hit would have no secure strength or connection if I were to pick up or angle the keyboard to move or adjust it.

Also, I planned on using pogos similar to this one:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0900-8-15-20-76-14-11-0/ED1124-ND/3737527
These are only $0.81 in single quantities (presuming 5 connectors, $4.05 in single quantities). That being said, the parts have quantity breaks, so depending on how many of these keyboards get made, you could cut that down to $0.30 per pogo/$1.54 per keyboard for 100 keyboards made, or $0.21776 per pogo/$1.09 per keyboard for 500 keyboards made. That's just using that one particular part as an example.

This one costs a little more, but is still sub $1 pricing in single quantities, and offers a through hole mount. You'd need a small 90° PC board to mount them too, but if through hole solves complexities in basic pogo pun alignment during manufacture, then that's an option to consider as well. Maybe SMD pick and place can handle those pogos? I dunno. I probably will personally spend a little extra on a through hole variety, just to I can solder these to a small PC board that will maintain my alignment. All I need to do then, for my keyboard, is just snag a small PC board with the correctly spaced gold plated pads to act as contacts to the pogos.
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0906-1-15-20-75-14-11-0/ED8181-ND/1147049

We use off-the-shelf magnets but the steel parts that face the magnets are custom made. Our case has been designed so that these parts can fit into it. You should be able to investigate our design by checking out or page and our blog.

In the meantime, we've also decided to use pogo pins that are very similar to the SMD pogo pins that you showed. We'll be using a vertical PCB with holes, put the pogo pins into the holes, solder them, and then solder the vertical PCB to our main PCB in a perpendicular fashion.

Offline richfiles

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 14:49:31 »
We use off-the-shelf magnets but the steel parts that face the magnets are custom made. Our case has been designed so that these parts can fit into it. You should be able to investigate our design by checking out or page and our blog.

In the meantime, we've also decided to use pogo pins that are very similar to the SMD pogo pins that you showed. We'll be using a vertical PCB with holes, put the pogo pins into the holes, solder them, and then solder the vertical PCB to our main PCB in a perpendicular fashion.

Nice! Pogos are well worth it. I know I'm late to the game on this thread, but it always pays to shop around when finalizing a design and generating a bill of materials. Regardless of if it's for rev 1 or rev 10.  ;D

One thing I did notice while visiting your blog, is your strong support for Right to Repair. VERY awesome! I am curious though... Does that mean you will make replacement parts available for purchase to individuals? I can imagine that the steel interlocks are a component that is vulnerable to damage (dropped, accidentally flexed, dinged, etc), considering that it is external. If that were the case, and they were made available to simply purchase as parts, I'd be potentially interested in simply buying a set of the steel interlocks to use for my custom number pad. I can't argue with a good design!  :cool:
"75% + 1" Keyboard with "Danger Zone" keycaps and magnetically detachable Number Pad. Dyed Gateron Blue switches with amber sub lighting. Blue anodized plate and wood trim. (Firmware in Progress)

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:37:37 »

Nice! Pogos are well worth it. I know I'm late to the game on this thread, but it always pays to shop around when finalizing a design and generating a bill of materials. Regardless of if it's for rev 1 or rev 10.  ;D

One thing I did notice while visiting your blog, is your strong support for Right to Repair. VERY awesome! I am curious though... Does that mean you will make replacement parts available for purchase to individuals? I can imagine that the steel interlocks are a component that is vulnerable to damage (dropped, accidentally flexed, dinged, etc), considering that it is external. If that were the case, and they were made available to simply purchase as parts, I'd be potentially interested in simply buying a set of the steel interlocks to use for my custom number pad. I can't argue with a good design!  :cool:

Glad you're also considering repair friendliness important! The steel guides are probably not the best example because they're super strong and not prone to wear but we definitely plan to provide some parts. I can think of the plastic parts, the assembled PCBs, and who knows what else. The steel guides are custom-made and I'd love to offer a set, just not in this early phase because prototyping stuff is incredibly time-consuming and expensive. :)

Offline richfiles

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:11:47 »
Glad you're also considering repair friendliness important! The steel guides are probably not the best example because they're super strong and not prone to wear but we definitely plan to provide some parts. I can think of the plastic parts, the assembled PCBs, and who knows what else. The steel guides are custom-made and I'd love to offer a set, just not in this early phase because prototyping stuff is incredibly time-consuming and expensive. :)

Yeah... I was very disappointed in my state when they did NOT pass a Right To Repair law this past summer. Wrote in to the local government, signed the petitions, and everything.

My keyboard won't be completely done till early next yearn, I guess, since the keycaps I bought will take a while to get molded and shipped. Ship date is next February.
If you ever need "beta testers" to test the durability of those steel puppies, I'd be sure to offer my services! LOL! :p :)) ;D

I suppose I could try to make some. I have access to a machine shop, but I'm not sure if we could do the hardening. I wonder if it's possible to spring load the pegs, so the magnet in one side pulls the peg out of the other to engage, but then retracts when not engaged with the magnet???

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 21:41:10 »

Yeah... I was very disappointed in my state when they did NOT pass a Right To Repair law this past summer. Wrote in to the local government, signed the petitions, and everything.

My keyboard won't be completely done till early next yearn, I guess, since the keycaps I bought will take a while to get molded and shipped. Ship date is next February.
If you ever need "beta testers" to test the durability of those steel puppies, I'd be sure to offer my services! LOL! :p :)) ;D

I suppose I could try to make some. I have access to a machine shop, but I'm not sure if we could do the hardening. I wonder if it's possible to spring load the pegs, so the magnet in one side pulls the peg out of the other to engage, but then retracts when not engaged with the magnet???

You're welcome to fill out our tester submission form at https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/wanna-test

I'm afraid these guides are not so easy to make but Andras is certainly more knowledgable in this respect than I am. I rather wouldn't use spring loaded pegs as it's just another thing that can break on the long term.

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 21:43:50 »
This looks pretty damn awesome
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline JBert

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 06:50:56 »
I don't know why but the "early bird - $ 50 off" stock still hasn't run out. If anybody wants one slightly cheaper, you still have the option.

Also, trackpoint / trackball / touchpad modules are now available for preorder.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2015, 06:53:36 by JBert »
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline rpilgrim

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:33:40 »
 :thumb: It's amazing! Now they also have add-on modules: trackpoint, trackball, trackpad and additional key cluster!

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 15:28:52 »
How safe is CrowdSupply? 

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:02:21 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:19:59 »
Vortex knows the importance of using standard keys, these guys don't.

Offline JBert

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:06:32 »
I wouldn't compare a Vortex against this keyboard though, while Vortex make stuff at decent prices the build quality or feature set is not fenomenal.

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline JBert

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:08:52 »
How safe is CrowdSupply?
In what ways? Do you think Massdrop or Kickstarter are safe? (real question)

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:46:21 »
I wouldn't compare a Vortex against this keyboard though, while Vortex make stuff at decent prices the build quality or feature set is not fenomenal.

Vortex's quality is not the point, how these guys handle the feedback of mechanical keyboard users is it. Besides, Vortex is an established manufacturer, with a record of products consumers are already familiar with; in the other hand, this new offer has not been tested; one thing is having a nice design and some prototype units and other different one is to handle a manufacturing supply chain, add to that they may outsource the manufacturing of units in China and you may end with a very steep learning curve.

Offline JBert

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 07:51:40 »
Ok, you're right that going with an ad-hominem is beside the point.

To make a more substantial argument: I feel that having a split reprogrammable and possibly "hackable" keyboard is a bigger feature than having a "standard" layout with common keycaps. I tend to switch between a model F XT and a classic ISO layout without too much trouble even with it's different right side - it can be done.

It would have been better if actual people from the mech community could have had their hands on a prototype. However, that's still no guarantee that it'll be a good fit: sixty and webwit reviewed the Poker X KBC prototypes (Poker 1) and complained about a few silly things (e.g. Esc was Fn + ` with no reliable way to switch it permanently), yet when I bought one from the first batch the problem was still there. It's only in the community-run groupbuys like the GH60 or Ergodox that designs can be properly iterated, and even then things get to be delayed to some future next version. Like the UHK's designer said: it is about compromises, even though you might not like some of them.

In this case I've given them my money though, even if that means I'll have to wait on someone asking Signature Plastics for custom molds if I want to change its caps.

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 10:12:31 »
Molds are very expensive tools whose cost can only be justify by large production quantities; therefore, it seems your "argument" is empty; besides, fully programmable mechanical sixties are already available.

Of course, it is your money, it is your call, you are free to put it wherever you want.

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 04:58:49 »
Molds are very expensive tools whose cost can only be justify by large production quantities; therefore, it seems your "argument" is empty; besides, fully programmable mechanical sixties are already available.

fully programmable, truly split mechanical sixties that can be extended with add-on modules?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 07:25:09 »
Being part of a new venture is a great thing in itself, kudos for those involved in this project, they deserve their product to success.

Product wise, it is not clear what the target market of the UHK is, as it includes some features that may attract keyboard aficionados, but it also appears to have some others that don't. The reason for that may be to target a broader market that includes PC users that may be interested in give mechanical keyboards a try for the first time with the UHK. Even the name of the product is a clear try to profiting on the well know HHKB, while the product has very few in common with it, unfortunately.

Let the time to say if the chosen compromises lead its sales in the proper way.

Godspeed!

Offline mondalaci

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:44:10 »
Even the name of the product is a clear try to profiting on the well know HHKB

To you it may seem that way, even though your assumption has nothing to do with the truth. It doesn't take a genious to come up with the name and the logo of the UHK without ever hearing about the HHKB. Not only I haven't ever heard about the HHKB but neither about mechanical keyboards back in the days. But you're welcome to believe whatever you want and none of us can prove anything anyways. Moot point.