Author Topic: 20+ year old PS/2 keyboard - Multimedia keys don't work correctly  (Read 977 times)

Offline 43615

• Not lazy, just minimizing entropy growth
Hey guys! I'm new here, please be gentle^^

I've recently picked up an ASUS KB-9885 (from 1998 I guess) from my grandparents' house. It was the first keyboard I ever touched in my life, and it also has lots of nifty multimedia keys (photo attached, yes I'm Russian). Thus, I'd really like to use it again.
So, because my current PC has the unfortunate design flaw of not having a PS/2 port, I've bought a cheap PS/2 to USB converter (https://www.ebay.com/itm/173937101066). I intend to use an MSI X299 motherboard for my next PC build, which has a PS/2 port.
With this adapter, the normal keys work completely fine (even though the special character layout for the Russian part is quite different1). However, the multimedia keys at the top seem to be mixed up, as if the wiring is scrambled. I remember them working perfectly fine on my grandparents' old WinXP computer (which sadly "broke"2 and got thrown away). The problem for me is that I haven't been able to find any software that could rebind them, as they are not standard keyboard keys.
I should probably also test it on a machine with a built-in PS/2 port, but I wasn't able to find one I could use so far.

And so, I'm asking you for help! Maybe someone has had this problem before? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

1 Haven't been able to find information on such a layout, I should probably just make a KLC.
2 Probably the power supply, quote marks because it could've been fixed and this infuriates me.