Author Topic: Thinking of buying an NCR80  (Read 7394 times)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Thinking of buying an NCR80
« on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 23:24:29 »
Hi all,
I was recently recommended the NCR80 as a vintage style chassis to put some switches in. I was initially excited, but that excitement was somewhat dampened when I learned that it was based off of a Cherry G80. I've heard only bad things about the build quality of cherry boards (No plate, extremely flexy, horrendous durability, etc.) This on top of the lack of windows keys (Which I'm willing to sacrifice for sound) put me off from the endeavor. I was wondering if any owners of an NCR80 or people with experience can weigh in on this, or suggest a similar product to put these switches in. Thanks!
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline AeternusCo

Re: Thinking of buying an NCR80
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 12:18:01 »
Hi all,
I was recently recommended the NCR80 as a vintage style chassis to put some switches in. I was initially excited, but that excitement was somewhat dampened when I learned that it was based off of a Cherry G80. I've heard only bad things about the build quality of cherry boards (No plate, extremely flexy, horrendous durability, etc.) This on top of the lack of windows keys (Which I'm willing to sacrifice for sound) put me off from the endeavor. I was wondering if any owners of an NCR80 or people with experience can weigh in on this, or suggest a similar product to put these switches in. Thanks!

I typed on an NCR80 at a meetup and really enjoyed the sound and feel. It's cheap as hell, too. Also there is an optional plate for it, carbon fiber (though I personally like plateless builds as well). WKL is great, embrace it  :D

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 14:13:45 »
Good to hear! I just bit the bullet and decided to buy one that's setup for hotswap from aliexpress. Even if it's complete ass then I'll at least be able to let future buyers know :P
WKL is great, embrace it
I use the winkeys 250% more than an average human should, so this is going to take some getting used to.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 15:30:15 »
NCR80 owner here! I don't see why the inspiration makes you disappointed, I think it's really cool to have a TKL G80 but I might be biased since I love the look of the 3000 series boards by Cherry.

No plate is a feature and not a negative thing, it brings a softer typing experience and it stays true to the inspiration. If you wanted, you could use the available CF plate add-on for it, of course. The flex and durability won't be an issue unless you regularly throw your keyboard against the wall, plastic is much more durable than you might imagine. It's not going to collapse into itself after a few years of use, if anything, there are still used G80s from 1980s around that have held up great. The NCR80 also has better build quality than G80s because it doesn't use clips for the assembly, it uses screws. The lack of Windows keys isn't a big issue since it's fully programmable and you can bind your Windows key anywhere you want or even use it on a function layer.

If you're a on a relatively tight budget or love the look/sound of G80s I'd definitely recommend it. The finishing looks good, the price is great, it's QMK/VIA compatible, has USB-C connection, and the tray mount posts are arranged well so there's no stiff spots anywhere on the alphas.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 17:47:32 »
Thanks for the response! That's good to hear, I personally love the look of it but I'm always worried about spending money on things that might not work out. Probably going to be using the PC plate that's coming with mine :)
If I could buy you a beer I would, but for now you have my sincerest thanks!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 19:31:58 »
If you are even remotely interested in an NCR-80, then go ahead and buy it now.

I have one [R1, gray, WKL (of course) and plateless], and it is exactly what is promised.

It is 'inspired' by the old Cherry design, as you noted. You have to understand, the plateless/mass-produced plastic construction has a logic of its own.

Yes, it's not built like a Filco Majestouch 2. But it doesn't need to be. It never did. From a pure function standpoint, the chassis and non-plate is enough.

It doesn't flex while typing, feels stable enough, plateless is a wonder for Cherry tactiles. [Switches like MX Brown were originally meant to be plateless, half-plate, or soft-plate.] This whole "put it in inch-thick plastic/metal and a heavy metal plate straightjacket" is a modern trend.

Mine is built with Ergo Clears [MX Clears using 63.5 G Progressive Spirit springs, lubed with 3204], C3 V2 stabilizers, and CRP keycaps. The only thing that turned out to be important was to use an old-style Cherry stabilizer for the spacebar. It thocks like mad now, and is as stable as a laser.

The only build-quality problem I noticed was that it seems to rock a bit, or be a bit unstable, when laid flat on a surface. But I think that's a problem with my surfaces, honestly, as my IKKI68 Aurora often does that. I just use the feet, and then it rests stable. Because of the light construction, you don't want to carelessly toss it around, but you wouldn't do that with an expensive custom anyways. Sound-wise [using tape mod] it sounds kind of like wet cardboard, as promised, but much thockier and more delicious thanks to all the tape-modding, PBT and 3204.

https://www.keebtalk.com/uploads/db8059/original/3X/0/e/0e220878e42547a32167bdc4ff590444267f5505.jpeg

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 19:55:02 »
A wonderful idea? Any GB?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 20:21:21 »
A wonderful idea? Any GB?

ZFrontier often handles the NCR-80 in GB phase. The current GB period has already passed by.

NCR-80 is on R3 now, although some R2 are left over.

NCR-80 goes from GB to "In-Stock" on Zfrontier:

https://en.zfrontier.com/products/in-stock-ncr-80-r2-vintage-mechanical-keyboard-kit?variant=39941116067918

They are also available on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003345941543.html

Maybe with Chinese manufacturing accelerating, there may be another GB. Still waiting for a correct "Cool Gray."

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 17:35:05 »
How do you guys mod your ncr80?
I just got it and want to make it sound nice.
I have plate with it - should I take it off?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 August 2023, 17:06:50 »
OK, there is a problem with PCB - Capslock, on hotswap, having both hotswap sockets, they partially cover the switch center stem hole. I cannot mount a switch there! :(
I had to cut the main switch stem in order to mount it.
Anyone had this problem?

301322-0

Its built, but what the hell?!

301324-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2023, 18:21:45 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 03:02:43 »
Nevermind, pixelpusher just explained me that this is a known issue, just need to pick one capslock position and de-solder one socket. :thumb:

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 16:32:02 »
Congratulations on your NCR-80. Looks lively.

For better sound, you can try removing any dampening material, and tape modding the PCB.

Or you can try using shelf-liner, which seems to work noticeably better than the provided foam.

NCRs want to be mostly hollow, so it's best to celebrate the resonance. You can tape the PCB, maybe some strategic shelf-liner, but no need to stuff it with foam. [This is especially true if using clicky switches.]

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 17:35:13 »
Congratulations on your NCR-80. Looks lively.

For better sound, you can try removing any dampening material, and tape modding the PCB.

Or you can try using shelf-liner, which seems to work noticeably better than the provided foam.

NCRs want to be mostly hollow, so it's best to celebrate the resonance. You can tape the PCB, maybe some strategic shelf-liner, but no need to stuff it with foam. [This is especially true if using clicky switches.]

Thanks. Yep, I did tape mod and it sounds really thocky. I took out plate and foam. Only thing I don't like is that some switches are crooked, cause there is no plate. I don't think I like that. Weird when I type.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 17:58:18 »
Jeez this thread is a blast from the past :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 18:08:27 »

Yeah, I resurrected it, cause just got one :)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 August 2023, 18:41:11 »

Oh super cool! I love mine, even though I don't tend to use it too much. Such an amazing value board and it sounds amazing! Hope you enjoy yours :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 03:27:06 »

Oh super cool! I love mine, even though I don't tend to use it too much. Such an amazing value board and it sounds amazing! Hope you enjoy yours :)

Yep, sounds super thocky, what I like. Its cheap quality is forgiven by that sound to be honest :)