Author Topic: What do you hate about your keyboard  (Read 4589 times)

Offline bokipr0

What do you hate about your keyboard
« on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 08:54:41 »
Hello Guys,
Throughout my 5 years of continuous keyboard addiction, I've searched and followed dozens of Groupbuys, Interest checks, and potential keyboard designs, My eyes saw more than 500 custom keyboards, my body has been into 2 Meetups across the world, and my hands assembled over 80 keyboards with more than 200 lubing services they’ve suffered through.
As time passed and I got to know more enthusiasts, entrepreneurs, and vendors who made me understand how a keyboard is thought about from the idea concept to researching about it and develop it to finally produce and manufacture it,
Each of their failures or misses made me wonder even more about people’s and enthusiasts demands and needs.
Therefore, I want to ask you a simple question:
What is a thing that you don’t like about your keyboard?

Offline selsik

Re: What do you hate about your keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 11:44:29 »
Owlab spring
- lack of split BS, even on the solder version of the pcb
- arrow placement was weird asf

So I sold it
Topre >>> MX

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 19:28:03 »
Keychron Q1
It's missing a right shift (It broke and I don't use right shift nearly enough to bother replacing it.
Very heavy for something I got for college
Sounds poor enough that I ended up putting boba U4s into it (I love these switches btw)

NCR80
It didn't come with enough standoffs for the plate so I have the most jank plate setup ever.

One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 21:23:02 »
my 67 lite is a 67 lite

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 20:49:44 »
My realforce ain't got no qmk

Offline Zytyx

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 September 2022, 22:54:52 »
My Aegis doesn't have a lock light indicator.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 05:04:37 »
My hotswap LW67 doesnt have iso support. It was like a $400 kit. I have a $130 kit that came stock ISO and ANSI support on the same hotswap PCB.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 07:59:28 »
Bakeneko60: idk, i cant think of any real issues since it is a budget board

HHKB Pro Classic: Stock stabilizers rattle a little but its a cheap easy fix. The most irritating thing is universal with all Topre keyboards (besides novatouch) and that is the fact that there is such a limited amount of keycap options unless you spend $100+ on new sliders.

Unicomp New Model M: idk its coming tomorrow so ill update when i get it lol

Leopold FC660M: Honestly I can't think of anything to really hate about this board. I still use it any time i play video games. The only thing i can think of is that the layout isnt standard so it adds another step to getting replacement keycaps, however im not sure why anyone would want to do this because Leopold stock caps are better than any standalone cap sets imo

Keytronic Ergoforce: Not the keyboards fault itself but the previous owners'. there is like 50 pounds of cat hair, human hair, and dust inside of this thing. Hopefully ill borrow a shopvac from a family member soon so i can finally clean this thing.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 11:20:23 »
RealForce RGB

I hate that:
  • It has RGB backlighting (luckily I can turn it off easily, but I'd rather it just not have it at all).
  • I had to paint the case white myself.
  • Nobody makes an aluminum replacement case.
  • It will eventually wear out and become unusable.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 15:02:17 »
Usually, if there has been something that I do not like, I just get rid of it. I am super picky.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 16:20:24 »
I hate that I can no longer find Dupli-Color Beige Primer in any store, for repainting my worn daily driver ...

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 00:31:37 »

I hate frames/bezels around the edge of the keyboard.  The best thing about my GMMK keyboards is how easy they are to keep clean.   

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 08:15:28 »
the fact that i have 122 keys and yet can't reprogram them as i wish... (running an unicomp PC122)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 September 2022, 17:43:48 »
My corne doesn't use the right brass spacers so it looks twice as tall. Also, acrylic plate so switches fall off really easily.

Offline TheMastermind

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 September 2022, 20:16:51 »
I wouldn't use hate per say but I really dislike having to reflash and rebuild keymaps on older / lesser known pcbs. I feel like I've been spoiled with my VIA compatible boards.

Offline magicmulder

• Resident Evil
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 05:17:31 »
Not wireless. That's basically it.

I try to keep my desktop wireless, the only exceptions are my Stream Deck XL and, as of now, my new keyboard.

I'd also prefer if it were ISO but I think transitioning from ISO (German) to ANSI will help me when coding because all the frequently used characters are no longer hidden behind awkward key combinations (such as {[]} requiring use of AltGr).
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2022, 05:19:49 by magicmulder »
Home: "Goldeneye" - Idobao ID87 Crystal, Durock Shrimp, DSA PBT Retro beige, mstone crystal wrist rest
Work: "Luscious Lime" - KBDFans Tofu 96, Gateron Silent Yellow, SA Lime, Razer wrist rest

Projects:
"Codelicious 64" - CA66 Light Sand, ?, MT3 WoB [planning]
"kAwAii" (SO) - Melgeek Mojo 84 / NextTime X75, Silent Alpaca, Akko Prunus Lannesiana [planning]
"Milky Chance" - Zoom 65/TKL Lilac + Mirror Gold Plate, Silent Alpaca, [TBD] [planning]

Offline norm

• My kingdom for convex blanks
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 September 2022, 23:31:29 »
TW40
I have the old version and I really dislike the huge bezels on the sides of the keyboard. I know P3D fixed the issue with their newer invisibolt cases and I am not denigrating them in anyway, but I had bought mine a couple months before they came out. If I would have known I would have waited. I understand the rationale of needing room to stack the acrylic layers but it just makes a small board big.

Alopow Resin
I thought the alabaster white would actually match more keycaps then it does. I know it is picky, but whats the point of spending good money on keycaps that don't look good? I learned with that one to always get a neutral color.

tl;dr Big bezel = unaesthetic/defeats the purpose of small keeb. Be loud with keycaps, not board.

Offline yui

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 September 2022, 12:35:12 »
Not wireless. That's basically it.

I try to keep my desktop wireless, the only exceptions are my Stream Deck XL and, as of now, my new keyboard.

I'd also prefer if it were ISO but I think transitioning from ISO (German) to ANSI will help me when coding because all the frequently used characters are no longer hidden behind awkward key combinations (such as {[]} requiring use of AltGr).
all my keyboards are ISO, some even ISO-US (see the PC122), and all of them are set to US-international keymap on all my PCs so i do not have to care for AtlGr for coding, but still have access to all the accented letters when i need them (we use them a lot here) and i still have my ISO enter key :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Bigtailcat

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 22 September 2022, 01:19:49 »
Short battery life, with backlit on, my keyboard works only 2-3days...

Offline skeucore

• My website
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 October 2022, 05:11:42 »
I have the TH80. I love this keyboard but the backspace and shift buttons are a bit rattly. I may mod the stabs in the future.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 07:20:03 »
Bakeneko60: idk, i cant think of any real issues since it is a budget board

HHKB Pro Classic: Stock stabilizers rattle a little but its a cheap easy fix. The most irritating thing is universal with all Topre keyboards (besides novatouch) and that is the fact that there is such a limited amount of keycap options unless you spend $100+ on new sliders.

Unicomp New Model M: idk its coming tomorrow so ill update when i get it lol

Leopold FC660M: Honestly I can't think of anything to really hate about this board. I still use it any time i play video games. The only thing i can think of is that the layout isnt standard so it adds another step to getting replacement keycaps, however im not sure why anyone would want to do this because Leopold stock caps are better than any standalone cap sets imo

Keytronic Ergoforce: Not the keyboards fault itself but the previous owners'. there is like 50 pounds of cat hair, human hair, and dust inside of this thing. Hopefully ill borrow a shopvac from a family member soon so i can finally clean this thing.

Totally forgot to upate so here it is now.

Unicomp New Model M: The QC is pretty iffy. The case creaks and flexes a bit and some springs are misaligned. My biggest problem though is that it doesn't have a detachable cable. I obviously do not use this thing for gaming so when I want to switch to my gaming board i have to pull the cable allll the way around my desk and monitors. Then when I want to use it again i have to wrap it back around to plug it back into the back of my PC lol. with my gaming board i just unplug the cable from the board and leave the connector laying on my desk for the next time i wanna use it.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Nerif

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 October 2022, 14:15:44 »
Luckily there's nothing I hate in my daily driver (Anne Pro 2 with Kailh Box Dark Yellow switches)

but i want to make some sort of list about the things i hated in keyboard i've had before

Blackwidow 2013/Logitech g710+ — unavailability to record the macros without downloading the godawful software
Anne Pro 1 — the first time i've hated clickies, seriously, gateron blue switches are terrible
Razer Deathstalker — offcenter keypress binding
BTC 5339R — too loud for a foam and foil keyboard tbh
Sun Type 7 — 2KRO (the keyboard was actually really cool in other ways)
Bloody B760 — is literally awful in every single way

and also about certain switches i've used

Cherry MX Blue — *UNPOPULAR OPINION WARNING* although i really like the sound of the clickjacket, the worst thing is, the click is tend to become less audible and pronounced when broken in
Cherry MX Silent Red/Brown/Kailh Box Red - the spring is too light
Lightstrike 1.7 Black — not as smooth as you might expect from an optoelectric switch, awful sound and spring ping
Kailh Box White — click is mismatched with actuation (that's also the reason i like their linears more)
̷C̷M̷ ̷Q̷F̷ ̷X̷T̷ ̷[̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷u̷e̷ ̷→̷ ̷C̷h̷e̷r̷r̷y̷ ̷M̷X̷ ̷B̷l̷a̷c̷k̷ ̷H̷y̷p̷e̷r̷g̷l̷i̷d̷e̷]̷
Anne Pro 2 [Gateron CAP Brown → Kailh BOX Dark Yellow]