Author Topic: Help with Model F77 keyboard firmware please  (Read 1991 times)

Offline phoenix_fire512

Help with Model F77 keyboard firmware please
« on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 08:48:04 »
Hello. I'd like to kindly ask for help getting a "stock" firmware for my new Model F77 keyboard (one of the ones from Model F Keyboards).

Long story short, I haven't been able to get it to work (devices show up when plugged in but keys don't function, and I did follow the manual and checked/reseated the keys multiple times) since I got it. It came with an old ibm-capsense firmware installed, which (per support email reply) appears to be the issue. However, I was unable to determine which firmware option was correct for my keyboard.

It's a compact F77 with split right shift and split backspace, and 0-9 and cursor keys for the right side block; I have attached a picture for reference.

I feel dumb not figuring this out myself but I honestly couldn't figure out which firmware is the right one for my keyboard's layout (none of the provided F77 options quite seemed correct for it). So I'm humbly asking if someone could simply point me to the correct default firmware for my keyboard, please. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 August 2023, 09:42:06 by phoenix_fire512 »
IBM Model M 1391401 (1991-09) | Unicomp New Model M (PS/2) | New Model F FSSK Ultra Compact

Offline qeebored

Re: Help with Model F77 keyboard firmware please
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 August 2023, 11:47:23 »
The keyboard is a F77 and HHKB layout with split shift and split backspace. As far as I know, the default for the keyboard is the firmware called F77_-_HHKB_split_backspace_-_0-9.hex. (Might be called something else for other firmware options than qmk, though.) It can be found on the modelfkeyboards.com manual page: https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/QMK-layout-files.zip

Offline phoenix_fire512

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 August 2023, 17:41:45 »
The keyboard is a F77 and HHKB layout with split shift and split backspace. As far as I know, the default for the keyboard is the firmware called F77_-_HHKB_split_backspace_-_0-9.hex. (Might be called something else for other firmware options than qmk, though.)

Ok, gotcha. I thought it had to say both "split shift" and "split backspace" to be the right firmware for my F77; that explains why I couldn't find the right one. (The firmware for the F62 is listed that way, with the file name indicating both split shift and split backspace, so I thought the correct F77 firmware would also say both.) I'm about to try getting it in to bootloader mode and flash it now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2023, 17:53:58 by phoenix_fire512 »
IBM Model M 1391401 (1991-09) | Unicomp New Model M (PS/2) | New Model F FSSK Ultra Compact

Offline phoenix_fire512

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 August 2023, 17:56:56 »
Well, it took me entirely too damn long, but my F77 is finally working (I typed this from it)! Thanks a ton @qeebored for helping me find the correct stock firmware for it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2023, 18:47:53 by phoenix_fire512 »

Offline qeebored

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 August 2023, 15:56:04 »
Well, it took me entirely too damn long, but my F77 is finally working (I typed this from it)! Thanks a ton @qeebored for helping me find the correct stock firmware for it!

I'm happy to help, and enjoy your F77. When my coworkers leave the office in the afternoon, it's hammer time with the solenoid. :cool:

I also found the firmware names a bit confusing. HHKB keyboards all have split shift and split backspace, which helped me sort it out.