Author Topic: Model F AT arrived and it is different to others I've seen.  (Read 1696 times)

Offline 486

So the F AT arrived today and I am so happy. It is not in perfect condition as I had said before. Needs work but very good for the $154 i paid for it.
When I opened it though, I new something was different immediatly. The IBM badge colour was bronze rather than silver! I checked if it was dirt but it is not. It is actually bronze. .
I have never seen a F AT with a bronze badge before. Weird isn't it.
But it gets stranger.
I looked on the back of the keyboard to find the Model number and found it to be a UK board.
I looked at the date and was shocked. 21 of April 1987! How is this possible?
Production of IBM AT's stopped on 2 April!
I checked the model number to see if the case was from a different keyboard but it is not!
The UK model number for F AT's is 6450200 and that is what was written on the back!

Has anybody got a Model F AT like this?
I checked over at clickykeyboards.com and they not seen a Model F AT out of 1985!

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 December 2014, 05:16:45 by 486 »

Offline mbc

• -delete-
AW: Model F AT arrived and it is different to others I've seen.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 03:34:15 »
I think the silver label has still the plastic protection layer on it, hence color (.?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2012, 03:45:14 by mbc »

Offline 486

Re: Model F AT arrived and it is different to others I've seen.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:03:57 »
I don't think that would make the logo colour change as plastic is transparent.

Offline 486

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 04:13:58 »
Also I need to get a  1/4" nut driver to undo the case so I can clean and realign the feet as they are pushed in.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 06:03:59 »
You don't need a 1/4 nut driver to take apart the case.  It should be possible with a flat head. 

As for the badge color, I've heard of bronze badges before (both on XTs and ATs), but have never personally seen one.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 06:34:41 »
I don't think that would make the logo colour change as plastic is transparent.
Unless it has yellowed...?

Offline 486

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 July 2012, 06:52:47 »
Hasn't yellowed. I checked on the side of the badge and it is that colour all the way through.

You don't need a 1/4 nut driver to take apart the case.  It should be possible with a flat head. 

As for the badge color, I've heard of bronze badges before (both on XTs and ATs), but have never personally seen one.
Only one screw had a combo hex/flat head The rest are all hex head only. Tryed a bic pen but to no avail
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2012, 06:57:48 by 486 »