Author Topic: Noise dampening feet?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Aardwolf

Noise dampening feet?
« on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 06:49:26 »
Hello,

My keyboard (with cherry brown switches) is on a typical white desk table. This desk seems to amplify the sound of the keyboard, and I don't want to disturb others too much. Putting two writing pads under it dampens the sound a bit. But that is quite big and annoying.

Do there exist good sound dampening feet for sticking under a keyboard? What materials are good? The keyboard already has some rubber pads but those are clearly not enough.

Thanks!

Offline zslane

Re: Noise dampening feet?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 11:52:48 »
Rubber feet probably aren't going to help much. The problem is that the high frequency noise of MX switch slider impacts reverberate along the entire surface of the case. Resting the bottom of the case on a soft, noise-dampening material helps more than rubber feet. I have used folded microfibre cloths and microfibre sweeper pads to good effect.

Offline Data

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 13:31:31 »
I'd probably try one of those wide mouse pads first.  Can be cut to size.

2nd option would be a thicker sheet of neoprene.  Both can be found on Amazon.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 November 2016, 17:01:35 »
I have been resisting shamelessly plugging the rubber mats that I sell, but here goes.

This may or may not be the right thing for you. This material is thin and tough - think about a tire inner tube but at least 3-4 times as thick and of a firmer and denser rubber.

If you really want to cut sound, then the thicker the pad the better, but if a flexible "break" layer between laptop and table top is all you need, this might be good for you.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.msg1359377#msg1359377
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16