Author Topic: Dvorak/Colemak users?  (Read 38763 times)

Offline PieterGen

Re: Dvorak/Colemak users?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 06:47:26 »
I use a Dvorak-like layout, which is AdNW.  How about this list that I made? Five questions for finding your optimal layout

1. Works anywhere?
If you want a layout that works everywhere, your best bet is Qwerty (or its variants azerty/qwertz)

2. Custom hardware?
If you use your own custom hardware, such as an Ergodox or a DIY board with different key-locations (split spacebar, matrix layout etc.) then a custom layout may be optimal

3. Rolls or alternation?
As Davkol correctly writes, there are basically two paradigms: rolls and alternations. Since there is no hard evidence what is better, let your hands decide what you like best. Try out Colemak (=rolls) and Dvorak (=alternations) on your keyboard(s) and decide what feels best for you.

4. Similarity to Qwerty ?
If this is important to you, chose Colemak, Minimak, qwpr or one of the minimal change Carpalx versions.

5. Ready-made or custom?
Within each paradigm, there are several "ready made" layouts. Ready made " rolls"  layouts include Colemak and (stock) MTGAP; ready alternating layouts include Dvorak and AdNW. Alternatively, you could calculate your own, using software that you can find on the Carpalx, MTGAP and AdNW-websites.  Reasons for designing a custom layout can be: you type in a language very different from English; you code and use special symbols all the time; you have special wishes like less use of pinkies, no use of left ring finger etc; you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and think that the ready made layouts are not good enough ;-)

Is it worth it?
Yes. It is definitely a nicer typing experience. However, in the grand scheme of things I would say that learning to touch type and using a good keyboard.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:14:31 »
on my 4th day of using colemak on my ergodox. i decided to take the plunge because i wanted to do something more ergonomic, and to prove something i guess. i also own 9 custom keyboards i can natively remap.

i have the layout fully memorized and can touch type, the ergodox makes that very easy with its matrix layout, i could use blanks if i wanted to

i range between 14 and 20 wpm right now, wrote this post with it and have been writing my work emails with it so i am essentially trowing myself in the deep end

i decided on colemak over dvorak or workman because it looks to be the easiest transition from qwerty and i like the focus on the home row, it feels immediately more ergonomic

i didn't map the left hand backspace, i feel control belongs there :)

i will say though i hate the r/s swap and i think this is permanently damaging my ability to type 90wpm in qwerty so it better be worth it

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 20:29:47 »
Edit: the only problem I can see with it is not having the keysets to support the layouts :(

you know i thought about this today, "Damn the world for no dvorak/colemak DCS/CHERRY/GMK!!!" and there is only 3 SCULPTED SA sets i know of for these layouts, but as i am learning i am learning to touch type amazingly fast, in the end it really wont matter what is on the legends, you can do training wheels with stickers and/or DSA (what i am doing) but down the road there is little benefit to hunt and pecking these layouts. these legends should be purely cosmetic if you are a good typest. that's not to say i wouldn't jump on lets say a colemak GMK kit, we can only dream, damn these MOQs!!

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 05:08:45 »
because I have been using qwerty, I try to use a different layout.
between dovark and Colemak , I'm more interested in the Colemak because it was closer to a sentence in a language that I use compared qwerty  ;D

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 05:14:18 »
Its been 2 months since I used dvorak and my typing speed increase by 10 wpm really recommended to use dvorak and it doesn't cause finger strain like qwerty keyboard does

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 05:25:45 »
With my custom boards finished I've been alternating between Dvorak and Qwerty: while my Dvorak WPM is not nearly up to the same speed as Qwerty, I've found it a lot more comfortable to use. I've also noticed small bursts of really fast typing which I don't get on a Qwerty layout. I've decided to use Dvorak on my custom, linear layout board and keep to Qwerty on my staggered boards so I retain muscle memory for both. It's working well so far.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 06:17:15 »
Dvorak converter reporting in. I'm still in the process of converting, but I feel more comfortable on Dvorak now compared to QWERTY. I switched because I felt QWERTY was stupid and archaic. I feel that dvorak is alot more comfortable to type on, also I reccomend making Caps lock into backspace as its alot easier to use. you dont have to move pour hands as much. im up to 30 wpm now after 2 months, but only one month full conversion.
TP4 fanboy

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 07:28:06 »
For those on the fence: both rolling and alternating layouts have their strong points.

Rolling feels fast & easy. I also found it easier to remember (tried Colemak and Mtgap). The disadvantages to me was that there are many not-so-nice rolls as well - think of traps in Colemak. Plus, it felt like I was typing some chunks of letters left, then some chunks right, etc. This gets worse if the " chunks"  on one hand are on average longer that those on the other hand. This does not show in statistics, a perfectly balanced 50/50 layout may be (left hand typed letters L,   right hand typed letters R)

LLLL RRR L R LLLL RRR LLL RR LLL RR LLL RR LLL RR LL R LLL RRRRRRRRRR.     This is a line of 18 words, 50% left hand typed, 50% righthand. But it feels very un-even, because most righthanded words are shorter that the lefthanded words.

The difference between rolling an alternating is, by the way, not a sharp one. All layouts have some rolls and some alternation - so when do you start calling it "rolling"  or " alternating" ? 

Alternating layouts are (to me) harder to learn. Also, they can feel slower, because there is not the fast and familiar "roll". But, they feel more even, more steady, not the clusters of letters, but a nice steady "flow"  of letters.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2016, 07:30:08 by PieterGen »

Offline nickw

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 17:44:06 »
I've been using colemak for a couple months now.  I'm still not up to my qwerty speed, but am already fast enough that it isn't a burden, and I am liking it so far.  It's actually  pretty hard  to give an objective opinion on it.  I do notice when I need to type on qwerty that I have to move my hands a lot more to be efficient, where in colemak I can leave them on the home row for the most part.

I have tried to learn dvorak a couple of times in the past, but always failed, because I couldn't really tolerate the speed drop of going back to hunt and peck while I learned the new layout.  (When you're trying to do your job on a computer, 5-10wpm is insufficient.)

Anyone who wants to learn colemak, forget trying to go 100%, and check out tarmak.  It's a set of 4 transitional  layouts for switching from qwerty to colemak.  Each one moves 3-4 keys, so you can learn it a bit at a time.  Because only about half of the keys change, it can be done without much overhead in relearning.   The only key that gets moved around repeatedly is the j.

Because it's only 3-4 keys out of place, it's not too much of a penalty to your typing speed.  You need to think about where those keys are, which will slow you down, but you should still be able to maintain a usable speed.  once you get back up to say 40wpm, you move  onto tarmak2, where another few keys get scrambled, and so on.

It was around 10 days before I was switched fully to colemak (the first couple steps went very quickly) but I maintained a usable typing speed throughout.  If I hadn't used tarmak, I might have gotten to the same point a couple days sooner, but I wouldn't have been able to work normally in the mean time.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 19:50:32 »
its been about two weeks since i switched to colemak and right now i am up to 35 wpm average, the highest i got was 40wpm, im using my atreus which has no legends, dsa blanks, so i really threw myself in to deep end. i think i would have faster wpm if i was using sculpted key caps and not dsa.

Offline droshi

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 09:47:18 »
I've switched a long time ago to Dvorak before Colemak came out. It was great and I liked it for many years, but the biggest problem for me had always been the copy paste functions. Just before trying out Colemak, I found AHK and it was nice, but certain AHK shortcuts nagged me because they were all remapped, and I was kind of used to the weird Dvorak equivalent. Ctrl + T...and so on.

A couple months ago I switched to Colemak. I like it. I used to type around ~70 wpm on Dvorak, now I'm up to 55-60 wpm on Colemak. My biggest mistakes are usually +-{} which I use in programming frequently and were switched in Dvorak.

I thought about programmers Dvorak, but ultimately I really like Colemak for the shortcuts. Pretty much same benefits I found in Dvorak for typing (except typing L no longer kills my pinky), and better productivity on a computer. With buying a Pok3r, it's even nicer as everything is contained in the board for switching Colemak and generally remapping keys. I just wish I could find Colemak keycaps for my pok3r that keeps the secondary Fn layer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 18:53:46 by droshi »

Offline hoosieree

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 15:39:47 »
Just tried both Dvorak and Colemak for the first time recently.  As a qwerty touch-typist, Colemak's learning curve is shorter, but Dvorak's consistency might win me over.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 00:33:10 »
Loving Colemak, at 55-60wpm on both matrix and staggered layouts all touchtype, Got it programmed into my atreus, Satan gh60, phantom, ergodox and autohotkey for everything else.

I feel like I've reached the point of difficult return as I can no longer touch type in QWERTY, and at one point I was typing 100 wpm in QWERTY.

The problem with my QWERTY typing was I wasn't doing it proper, I only used 2 fingers on my right hand and would cramp up my left hand, by learning Colemak strictly touch-type correctly from the beginning, everything feels distributed and healthy, and I feel less like needing to use ergo boards even though I love my atreus.

Side note,
Also changed my Android Google Keyboard to Colemak under languages to download and I swipe with it pretty fast, it helps keeping consistent across platforms.

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 00:49:34 »
So I thought I would do as Glod and come back here and make a quick update.

I feel I can no longer type on QWERTY, but I don't see why I would want to.

I have never been a fast typist but I am now reaching speeds about the same as I did on QWERTY, and I feel I can still get quite a bit faster.

I am really glad I decided to make the plunge and get away from the old outdated QWERTY layout.
TP4 fanboy

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 18:03:08 »
Necro Post

The day finally came for me

GMK with Colemak

I mean it really was not necessary, I really dont look at my keyboard, I touch type, But it is still cool as F**K!

I currently peaked at 75wpm with Colemak, I have yet to get any faster than that. I do much less typing than i did in the past though which could be the reason. And when I travel and work with other people's PCs I have to use QWERTY which confuses my mind.

I still consider it a success, fingers feel so much better.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 12:39:11 by Glod »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 07:47:23 »
I've been thinking about switching. I've been considering Dvorak, but would like some feedback on my thoughts about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the math behind Colemak is based on English. So the pros of using Colemak would be the pros of typing in English.

My native language is Swedish. I type in both Swedish and English. Both quite often. To me it sounds like alternating hands is a better suited option as it is language-neutral.

Colemak doesn't have, to my knowledge, any official Swedish layout, meaning all Swedish layouts I see online are various individual solutions. My impression is that Colemak prides itself on optimizing how often certain keys are struck by what fingers. That math quickly becomes irrelevant when you introduce letters from other languages than English as well as untested keymapping.

While there are 2-3 Dvorak layouts to choose between in Swedish, there's actually an official Dvorak layout in Norwegian and Norwegian uses the same extra vowels that Swedish do. In fact one of the Swedish layouts is pretty much the Norwegian one straight off.

All the above is probably old news, but there's something else I'm considering too. I've been considering dropping ISO in favor of ANSI for practical custom-keyboard reasons. I'm thinking the extra vowels in Swedish could be remapped to the same positions on an English Dvorak layout using Alt Gr (or Alt Gr mapped to split spacebar) - I think this could work with Dvorak as I'd Alt Gr with my right thumb and then alternate to a vowel with my left hand.

What are your thoughts? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Have I misunderstood the intentions of Colemak? Are there any Colemak users typing in a language other than English? Anyone try experimenting with languages and layers and if so, how did it turn out?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:24:03 »
Heatmaps for a language significantly different from English:

As you can see, it's still quite reasonable.

I don't have a good visualization of keystroke sequences (yet), but the numbers translate pretty well between languages.

Offline Nixon

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 11:23:26 »
Started using Dvorak to stop colleagues from using my workstation PC at work. Got use enough to it that all my computers and laptops are now set up for Dvorak.

Offline rebus

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 15:46:06 »
Language certainly matters. I started with Colemak years ago but soon discovered that Dvorak was better suited for Italian. Or at least, I do feel more comfortable with Dvorak. Don't know about Swedish, anyway both are far better choices than Qwerty.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline ADNW

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 08:11:09 »
Language certainly matters. I use the adnw analyser sometimes (source code is on adnw.de) . My languages are Dutch and English, sometimes a bit in other languages.

Qwerty is even worse for Dutch than it is for English. Colemak is a huge improvement over Qwerty - in English! But in Dutch it is no so impressive. Of the "Big 3" (Qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak), Dvorak is the best choice for Dutch and German. Colemak seems to be so for English.

You could also "roll your own" layout, optimized for your use. Options are:
- trial & error on patorjk.com
- use an offline analyzer. I've used the mtgap, carpalx and adnw analyzers. Of which I prefer the adnw one. Although the mtgap analyser is fine too.

Offline dustpuppy

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 07:50:37 »
Does anybody here use Dvorak or colemak? If so, why?
I'd like to hear opinions, as qwerty is getting tiresome.

I too am going to switch. I am thinking of moving to DVORAK in a change to what I said in the bothering you thread, because I think it's the easiest to work with ISO. And I really don't fancy getting rid of my Caps Lock.

I am wondering if it is good to have QWERTY in one place and DVORAK in another? As I don't know if I can change my Keycool to DVORAK  :))

Edit: the only problem I can see with it is not having the keysets to support the layouts :(

Keysets would be a big problem for me, because I have alps... Although if you stuck with qwerty keycaps you wouldn't be able to cheat and you could easily change it back to qwerty for friends who need qwerty and can't touch type.

If you’re going to switch to dvorak, and you’re serious about it, do yourself a favor and completely ignore the keycaps / labels. You are now entering a world where you don’t even look at your keyboard once. You should position your hand and type by feel, there is no need at all to have any labels on keycaps. In fact, blank keysets make the most sense when switching to dvorak. QWERTY keysets are acceptable also, but i’ve never seen anyone in the mechanical keyboard world who actually switched their keysets to dvorak. Doing so would be counter productive in my opinion.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:51:36 »
I'm now up to 4 years of colemak and still loving it.
Never tried Dvorak. I don't think I'd like it because I find I have trouble coordinating alternating hand movements.
I can still type in qwerty when I have to, such as on my laptop. I find using two different shapes of keyboard helps a lot with switching from one to the other.
Ergo boards on colemak, qwerty on standard boards.

Offline KPrepublic

• * Vendor
    • KPrepublic
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 04:07:52 »
Tried colemak a few hours. not familiar with it.  :) I mean I was not used to it. Maybe I am used to typing w/ qwery.  I think I would get used to it someday, but it would take me a long time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 March 2018, 04:15:45 by KPrepublic »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 04:36:15 »
Tried colemak a few hours. not familiar with it.  :) I mean I was not used to it. Maybe I am used to typing w/ qwery.  I think I would get used to it someday, but it would take me a long time.
So, what's the point of your post, other than spamming links to your store? Hail Corporate!

Offline KPrepublic

• * Vendor
    • KPrepublic
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 04:37:38 »
So, what's the point of your post, other than spamming links to your store? Hail Corporate!

Nope. My point is I am not used to typing with colemak. That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 04:57:45 »

Cool, now you've added that mobile-client spam.

What does you post contribute to the discussion again? Uh, you don't use Colemak. Yeah, neither does vast majority of computer users. Should they all fill the thread with posts about how they don't use Colemak without any original reasoning?

…and there's some interesting debate about different consideration higher in the thread.

Offline KPrepublic

• * Vendor
    • KPrepublic
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 05:03:42 »

Cool, now you've added that mobile-client spam.

What does you post contribute to the discussion again? Uh, you don't use Colemak. Yeah, neither does vast majority of computer users. Should they all fill the thread with posts about how they don't use Colemak without any original reasoning?

…and there's some interesting debate about different consideration higher in the thread.
Ok. I tried the colemak, and tried used the layout typing Chinese. However, I found it is difficult. Then, I switched back to qwerty.

Alright, It’s my bad. I don’t mean to spam. Just intend to join the chat.  If you said the thread is for the higher user, so I cannot argue, just accept what you think. Thank you.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 06:09:26 »
Could you avoid spamming the forum with at least the Apple and Tapatalk advertisements? Thank you.

On-topic, if you could _elaborate_ on Chinese and Colemak compatibility, that would be actually informative and add to the discussion. Quick googling "colemak chinese" returns a bunch of threads and blog posts, but few go into detail.

Offline nickw

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 19:35:55 »
I posted on this thread about a year ago about my switch to colemak.  I've since gone back to qwerty.
While I did find colemak a little nicer to type on, The inconvenience when using other people's keyboards outweighed it a bit.

The good thing is that  changing back was pretty trivial for me.  I made some typos for  a couple days before I was back to my full speed on qwerty, but nothing too serious.

I still recommend colemak via tarmak if you want to try an alternate layout, as I had a much better time with it than I did when I tried switching to dvorak several times in the past, but even so, don't be surprised if the benefits don't turn out to be worth it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:40:47 »
How many obi's does it take to kenobi?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:41:00 »
Only wan.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:41:16 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:41:26 »
i am posting in the wrong thread

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:41:42 »
sorry  :-X

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 02:16:18 »
i am posting in the wrong thread

you know normally ****posting to pad post count is my job
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Cynamin

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 00:45:46 »
I used dvorak for a few weeks and it's a really nice layout and felt really comfortable to use, but I literally can't play games with it unless I spend half an hour rebinding everything, and then with some games I either can't or there are certain keys that conflict (fallout with the tilde console, also my button to switch layouts) which made me drop it. A shame because I really liked it otherwise and I'd go back if I had a better solution.

Offline superbia

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 08:32:12 »
I used dvorak for a few weeks and it's a really nice layout and felt really comfortable to use, but I literally can't play games with it unless I spend half an hour rebinding everything, and then with some games I either can't or there are certain keys that conflict (fallout with the tilde console, also my button to switch layouts) which made me drop it. A shame because I really liked it otherwise and I'd go back if I had a better solution.

The easiest solution would be to quit games, get a programmable keyboard, install something that allows you to switch layouts with 2 clicks (most desktop environments support it out of the box). And to conclude, there are modern iterations of both colemak and dvorak which are not the same as the original layouts, but that are 'maintained', and thy change slowly as language and way we type changes over time.
Keebio Iris 2.8 (Alps) X Colemak Mod-DH

Offline etatauri

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 20:10:52 »
Been using Colemak for over a year now and now I'm comfortably touch typing at around 70 wpm.

I'm really enjoying the layout as I am noticing way less finger travel compared to Qwerty. I don't type any faster but it is way more comfortable having the most used keys on the home row. I haven't tried Dvorak, but there are just so many changes that the transition seemed too daunting. Plus, the shortcuts zxcv are in the same place which makes it very convenient.

Keycaps: I'm secretly glad there aren't that many keycaps that come with Colemak layouts because otherwise, I'd be broke buying all of them haha. There are however very nice sets that do come with Colemak/Dvorak compatibility.

Games: Gaming isn't that much of an issue. Once you download the layout, and have it configured to Win+Space shortcut to switch layouts, it's very easy to switch between layouts. Some games will even switch bindings for you like with Overwatch.

Anyways, I am definitely sold on Colemak, and haven't looked back. Yes, it can be annoying sometimes when I have to use someone else's computer, but I still use Qwerty on my phone so it's not like I forget where the keys are. I just use two-finger typing so my muscle memory doesn't kick in.

Overall, very happy with my switch!
Input Club K-Type / Vortex Pok3r / Magicforce 21 / Razor Blackwidow
MX Clear / MX Blue / IC Halo Clear / NK Box Pale Blue / NK Box Navy
SP DSA HC Dolch / SP Dye Sub DSA / SP SA Dasher / MD MT3 /dev/tty / KC Strong Spirit

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 02:09:39 »
I just thought i'd way in as a qwertz User.

I tried both dvorak and colemak for an extended period. Several Reasons i stick with qwertz:
- It's default on every machine everywhere. You litterally have to do nothing to use it.
- You never have to switch layouts because of coworkers, other machins, laptops (even my phones keyboard gave me trouble when i switched)
- I'm a sys admin. Keyboard Layout mapping through RDP is abysmal. So you'd have colemak on your PC and qwerty on every Server you connect to. This gets soooo confusing fast and isn't changeable.
- Same as above for Teamviewer. Alternate Layouts are really inconsistent.
- I'm not an author or Programmer. Yes my job requires me to type quite a bit, but i'm not earning my money typing away 8 hours a day.
- The ergo benefits of those layouts are 1. at least questionalble and 2. miniscule compared to a proper desk, seat, position and keyboard split/tent.

All of this let me to the decision that any alternate keyboard Layout is just more work and hassle than they are worth it for me. I feel like a lot of dvorak hype comes from just wanting something different (which is fine) or because it's the "hip" or "right" thing to do. Everyone needs to do their own evaluation to see if they need to change.

Though i do vouch for actually giving it a try. Properly for some time. dissmissing it out of principal isn't good. Just look if it works for you and your situation.

Offline superbia

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 02:51:44 »
I just thought i'd way in as a qwertz User.

I tried both dvorak and colemak for an extended period. Several Reasons i stick with qwertz:
- It's default on every machine everywhere. You litterally have to do nothing to use it.
- You never have to switch layouts because of coworkers, other machins, laptops (even my phones keyboard gave me trouble when i switched)
- I'm a sys admin. Keyboard Layout mapping through RDP is abysmal. So you'd have colemak on your PC and qwerty on every Server you connect to. This gets soooo confusing fast and isn't changeable.
- Same as above for Teamviewer. Alternate Layouts are really inconsistent.
- I'm not an author or Programmer. Yes my job requires me to type quite a bit, but i'm not earning my money typing away 8 hours a day.
- The ergo benefits of those layouts are 1. at least questionalble and 2. miniscule compared to a proper desk, seat, position and keyboard split/tent.

All of this let me to the decision that any alternate keyboard Layout is just more work and hassle than they are worth it for me. I feel like a lot of dvorak hype comes from just wanting something different (which is fine) or because it's the "hip" or "right" thing to do. Everyone needs to do their own evaluation to see if they need to change.

Though i do vouch for actually giving it a try. Properly for some time. dissmissing it out of principal isn't good. Just look if it works for you and your situation.

Thank you for your opinion.

1) If you needed a good layout, you would find a way to use it
2) People developed and still develop layouts, they are here and people use them (weirdos, programmers, ergo-fangirls, etc.)
3) The extreme ergonomics are not accomplished by a proper desk, proper seat and seating position (because the thought of having to 'sit' to use a computer is superfluous); rather the ideal position should be lying  :cool:

Offline domsch1988

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 03:20:16 »

2) People developed and still develop layouts, they are here and people use them (weirdos, programmers, ergo-fangirls, etc.)
3) The extreme ergonomics are not accomplished by a proper desk, proper seat and seating position (because the thought of having to 'sit' to use a computer is superfluous); rather the ideal position should be lying  :cool:

Concerning 3:

While lying would indeed reduce stress on the body, wouldn't this also deteriorate your muscles over time? I mean a big part of a healthy body is training your muscles (all of them). I always thought that the biggest problem is a lack of movement which a standing solution fixes, not the sitting position per se. Though, given only the sitting or lying choice, lying should be better (i have no scientific data on that matter).

Apart from that at my office, a standing solution isn't provided and to expensive to buy myself, and a lying solution is completely out of the question. We all have to make the best out of the given circumstances.

Offline superbia

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 08:22:15 »

Concerning 3:

While lying would indeed reduce stress on the body, wouldn't this also deteriorate your muscles over time? I mean a big part of a healthy body is training your muscles (all of them). I always thought that the biggest problem is a lack of movement which a standing solution fixes, not the sitting position per se. Though, given only the sitting or lying choice, lying should be better (i have no scientific data on that matter).

Apart from that at my office, a standing solution isn't provided and to expensive to buy myself, and a lying solution is completely out of the question. We all have to make the best out of the given circumstances.

If you don't trust ordinary medicine and their scientific research, you can always look into Computer Science.
There is a branch of Computer Science called Computer Ergonomics (google this to get relevant data).
This picture shows the load on your spine:

Main problems are the spine (even kids have bad postures), eyes (screens are still terrible), carpal tunnel (don't google this), and general diet (not easy with everything being GMO).
For overall muscles you could do something like parkour (the art of moving efficiently).  :thumb:

This is not really on topic, but I hope mods won't punish me  ^-^

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 09:35:32 »
There is a branch of Computer Science called Computer Ergonomics (google this to get relevant data).
???

general diet (not easy with everything being GMO)
???