Author Topic: SS 6gv2 DIY Keycap Paint  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Moorhouse

SS 6gv2 DIY Keycap Paint
« on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 17:57:21 »
Welp, I decided to customize my keycaps on my 6gv2. I did it in 2 hours just a quick project.

I used Plasti Dip instead of rit or spray paint. I did some research on the nets and didn't see anything on Plasti Dipping keycaps. I dived in and it came out decently.

Used 4 layers on all the keys, only re dipping 13 keys (num pad) because they caught some wind and dried funny.
24228-0

I bought one can of Black Plasti Dip ($5.99), used about 60% of the can.

I particularly like how it dried, the letters show thru so its not totally blank. The Dip has a rubbery feel to it which i like. After a week the dip looses some of its "roughness"
24222-1

If you don't like how anything came out, you can just peel the dip right off no problem!
24226-2

Cheap and easy way to customize your caps.

Let me know how you like it. Ill update if I have any problems, but so far this has worked out well.
24224-3
If this is the wrong place for this I apologize.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Re: SS 6gv2 DIY Keycap Paint
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 02:49:27 »
This is very cool, If this is actually undo-able then it would be cool to do on space-bars to keep them new.

Offline Moorhouse

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 08:57:56 »
Exactly, Steelseries keyboards are known for having the lettering come off by normal use. My lettering was really dirty (smoker) and wouldn't come clean, and the space and area where i rest my pinky was getting worn. Hopefully this will help with that.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 14:42:03 »
What plasti dip did you use? Also how come it first looks silver, then turns black? I think I'm gonna paint some keys :D. Thanks for the post! It looks good by the way.

Offline Moorhouse

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 21:06:02 »
Just the Plasti Dip in a can, I took some of the pics outside/drying. I was very impatient lol Post some pics when u finish.

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100131010/11-oz-plasti-dip-black-rubber-coating-spray-reviews/reviews.htm

Offline WONDERBRIGHT

• Steelseries !
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 06:04:51 »
This is better than the original one ! ;)

Offline Moorhouse

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 14:31:07 »
This is better than the original one ! ;)

how'd you change the LEDs on ur locks?