Author Topic: [IC] FjordBoard; A 75%-ish keyboard with a slider | Final IC update before GB!  (Read 25692 times)

Offline Frugivore

286710-0

A 75%-ish keyboard with a slider!

290686-1

The website is in active development please forgive incompleteness and bugs.

The Gist
FjordBoard is a top-mounted 75% keyboard that removed the PrtSc, Pause, Ins, End, PgUp, and PgDn keys. In the place of the Ins-PgDn keys are replaced with a slider that has knob-like functionality without the overused knob. In my opinion, knobs are cool but are being overused so instead of just removing these keys because I don't like them I added a slider. Full Vial, VIA, and QMK functionality/support. A CNCed aluminum case (6063) anodized in Pantone 533 C blue (see at the bottom of page) The weight will be brass and should weigh just under half a kilo. As for the plate, It will ship with an FR4 plate but I am going to provide plate files so that you can get plates cut yourself in whatever material you want. A 5° typing angle and hot-swap PCB that supports ANSI and ISO.

The Specs

Slider on the right side of the board where the Ins-PgDn keys are on a 75%
Top mount
5° typing angle
CNC aluminum case (6063)
~Half a kilo brass weight
Total unbuilt weight ~2200 g (~4.8 pounds)

Estimated price is ~350 to 400 USD.
Please remember this is an estimate and there are no promises. don't be surprised if the price is raised or lowered

The Vendors

US-Dangkeebs
UK and EU- Proto[Typist]
CA-AlphaKeys
OCE- Allcaps
JP- Basekeys
Vietnam- Uniqmeck
SEA and China-Hex Keyboards

The Sound Test

The Prototype Photos

291535-5   291539-6

291541-7

Unbuilt manu photos below!
More
289214-8   289216-9

289218-10

289220-11

289222-12   289224-13

The Renders

287704-14     286691-15

287700-16     287702-17

286689-18     

More renders in the google drive folder!

What is a Fjord?
What is a Fjord? A Fjord is a long thin stretch of water going inland with steep cliffs or mountains right to either side. Fjords are most famously found in Norway but also appear in New Zealand and Iceland.

Conservation of Fjords
While this project will likely not make that much I want to donate some of what I do make to nature conservation. Fjords are a very limited resource and if we don’t properly protect the habitat then Future generations won't be able to experience one of the greatest natural beauties.

Who should I donate to?
You might think this is simple and there is just a Norway fjord conservancy. But it turns out there really isn’t a fjord or even Norway-specific nature conservancy. So I turned to one of the other places where fjords exist, New Zealand. New Zealand has almost many nature conservancies to choose from. Both my dad and I love kākāpōs which just happen to live in Fiordland (spelled slightly differently but means the same thing). The kākāpō is a critically endangered flightless parrot that currently lives on an island in Fiordland, one of three islands they currently inhabit. So as of now, I plan to donate to Kākāpō Recovery A NZ government program to save the Kākāpō.

The Updates

Click the folder below to see the latest update so you don't have to find it in the comments.

More
It's time for the final IC update before we move to a GB page!

There is very little to tell here because things like the date and price are going to be part of the GB page but I can say that Hex Keyboards is officially the vendor for the rest of Asia! You can visit them here at https://hexkeyboards.com/

Stay tuned for the GB page coming within the next few days!

This is where you can see a timeline of updates starting from right now, the updated IC! (Top is the most recent)

Fully Updated IC and WIP updated Website [6/23/22]
First prototype photos from the manufacturer are coming in. Check discord for the latest updates [7/12/22]
Prototype and first vendor announced [8/4/22]

The Color

So far the below color is the only one confirmed. But E-white is being evaluated as the second color option. You can take a look at the white in the google drive folder.

Contact Me!

Discord server- https://discord.gg/wJx64q4ydD

Email- Frugivore@fjordboard.com

Discord DM- Frugivore#5051

Add this to your signature to show your support!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116532.0][img width=540 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/f0WLwEP.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2023, 13:28:14 by Frugivore »

Offline chat and team

Re: [IC] Fjord!; A 75%-ish keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 21:39:14 »
What is going on today.
You should collaborate with https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116529.0 you guys seem to have the same ideas kinda??
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 21:43:58 »
Forgot to save the first spot so I am going to use this comment going forward. A bit awkward but it will do.

This is where smaller timeline updates will go.

As of 6/23/22, I am waiting on my prototype.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2022, 15:37:57 by Frugivore »

Offline wndy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 21:48:44 »
I think the board looks pretty promising, although the IC feels a bit incomplete. Huge fan of the slider for sure, hope to see those on more boards

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 21:49:55 »
I think the board looks pretty promising, although the IC feels a bit incomplete. Huge fan of the slider for sure, hope to see those on more boards

Sorry, it's my first IC. What can I do to make it better?

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 March 2022, 23:17:38 »
interesting project but the proto looks sus
any price estimates?

Offline panka

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 03:05:22 »

Sorry, it's my first IC. What can I do to make it better?

render with keycaps is a must, but from what i can see the keyboard looks pretty cool! definitely a fan.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 06:17:23 »
interesting project but the proto looks sus
any price estimates?

Adding a bunch to the IC today to make it more complete. Price will be under 300 but if I can ship 50 (might be lower I need to look at Chinese manu)

May I ask what makes the proto sus? It's a quick and cheap FDM proto just to get something in my hands.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 06:40:46 »
Any plans of building your prototype? That's what prototypes are for, I think. Also your CAD renders don't have a USB port, might want to look into that.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:11:57 »
Any plans of building your prototype? That's what prototypes are for, I think. Also your CAD renders don't have a USB port, might want to look into that.
Yes, I do plan on building in my photo I am waiting on my plates. I have a PCB that fits from another board that I have already tried and I will use that until I get my PCB done. I also plan on getting a Final CNC proto soon-ish.

Opps one of those is a bit old will update that.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:41:25 »
All of the colors that have been requested via the IC form I rendered and put in a google drive folder.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Tn6Q17cXucw6fidR7vJO0VaeB7YecV3I?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:43:20 by Frugivore »

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:46:26 »
What is going on today.
You should collaborate with https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116529.0 you guys seem to have the same ideas kinda??
I'm not seeing the similarity.  This has a right shift. In fact it's a fairly standard 75% layout, just replacing the vertical nav row with a slider.

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 07:48:26 »
Looks interesting, but I'll wait until this is a bit more fleshed out, and a PCB designed before I make a judgment on it.

Offline Rpmorrison10

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 12:26:40 »
Sliders need to be used more often.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 12:49:53 »
IC updated a bit. Look at the specs, pricing, and vendors. Keep looking at the google folder for more renders.

283695-0

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 15:34:27 »
Slight name change back to my original name. Feel free to still call it "Fjord!" But the official name will be FjordBoard.

Re: [IC] FjordBoard; A 75%-ish keyboard
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 March 2022, 19:46:13 »
Cool design but the top blocker isn't for me. Any chance of making that optional?

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 09:55:29 »
Cool design but the top blocker isn't for me. Any chance of making that optional?

I could try to make it modular and provide files so that anyone could do whatever they want with it. Would that be good? I am talking to someone that has a lot of CNC and 3d molding experience in a couple of days so I can ask and see what the right way to do that would be.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 17:59:15 »
I have a model with keycaps! will be posting more renders soon.

283776-0

283778-1

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 07:55:15 »
I think it's about time I give an update here.

First of all, yes I did increase the expected pricing. I really didn't want to but after being advised to do so by a vender and just doing some numbers I realized I didn't really have a choice. Again I never said this was final and this updated price isn't final either.

Now that that is addressed, I got my first plates in! I kinda thought these would be final but people told me to make a few changes so I did. I am still going to use these since they are functional the same as the updated ones just have a bit more meat in some places and use slots, not holes for mounting.
284102-0

The google drive folder has a crap ton more renders than it did before so go check it out! here

I am working with someone of PCB and it's looking good so far. The slider is a bit of a challenge but I think we will get it working.

I think I have found a Manu and Proto which is good.

A few small design changes for the sake of manufacturability. I think makes it a bit better looking as well.

A lot of people have been suggesting I put a badge on the other blocker (currently blank). I would love to do that but I kinda suck at art and hiring someone is not absurdly expensive but I would rather save the money. I do really want to do it but I want to do it right. I will price it and see what I can do but no promises.

The last thing is the discord server. I thought that having a place where interested people can get smaller updates and ask questions would be useful. You can join here.

And that's it. Quick update on a few things. The IC has been good so far.

284104-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2022, 08:17:02 by Frugivore »

Offline bloodparticle

• A through hole keyboard fan!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 08:21:51 »
Is it possible the pcb have ISO layout?

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 08:29:32 »
Is it possible the pcb have ISO layout?

I will see what I can do I am defiantly not opposed. I am just literally not sure if I can replicate what I did to my plate to get it to how it is now lol. Nut I can try.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 12:33:26 »
Not a fan of this at all, that row of keys is extremely useful and a knob is useful because it's 1U, rather than 4-5U. I know mechanical keyboards are getting niche but this seems a bit far for the sake of difference, feels very form over function.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 16:05:08 »
Time for an update!

I will officially be supporting ISO and ANSI!

It will be one PCB but I haven't decided if the plate will be together or separate. ISO map below

A few big things have happened. I have someone doing the PCB. After trying for a few months, I decided I don't have the requisite skills to make a good PCB. So now that I don't have to worry about that I have moved to get some proper renders. Two, I am learning blender and some really nice renders should be on the way. I got KRK (keyboard render kit) meaning renders with keycaps are going to be much better. Keep checking the google folder for updates. One fairly big thing that just came up with the PCB is that since I am not using a USB daughterboard for (simplicity and cost reasons) The USB port will be moving to the other side of the board under the (so far) blank blocker. Yes, I said "so far", I would love to have a badge there but the I suck at art meaning I would have to commission it. As long as proto PCB doesn't come back a crap ton more than I think it will I will have a budget to do that. So hold on just a bit more. The last thing is what colors I am thinking of offering. I am thinking of a dark Blue (this will be what the proto is), black, and E-white. E-white will likely cost more so be prepared. I am also going to add a to-do list to the main post.

I will likely be MIA for a bit or at least less active since this week is the end of the quarter and the next I am on vacation.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 10:11:59 »
Very big update!

The PCB is here and working great! This is a huge step forward and means I can start to write documentation for the slider on how to install the firmware. The slider works perfectly in Windows and Linux and I am working to see if I can get macOS support. I will share more specifics on how it works and a video showing it in the near future.

286244-0

286246-1

In other news, I have decided on a Pantone for the blue color. Its Pantone 533 C is a very dark navy blue. There will be three color offerings 533 C a black ano and e white.

I am still planning on getting some graphics made (I might even do it today) so I am not going to make new renders till I have that finished. Sorry for the flip flop of certain elements of the design I had some core things change when designing the PCB and then one of those changed back again. 

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 12:06:14 »
id like to suggest a version with blocker and 7u spacebar
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 12:24:00 »
Before making a IC please provide the actual prototype what the buyers will get and maybe a built variant, Right now there is almost no info here about the final product, For the rest not looking terrible GLWIC :thumb:

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 14:40:34 »
Before making a IC please provide the actual prototype what the buyers will get and maybe a built variant, Right now there is almost no info here about the final product, For the rest not looking terrible GLWIC :thumb:

Yes I know I started it a bit early. I am almost ready to send it away for a prototype. I wanted to make sure the PCB and slider functionality worked completely before I got a prototype. And like I said things have changed a lot and I am waiting on some art (since I can't draw myself) before I do the final renders.

I expect to order the prototype within a month or less. and lead time will likely be about the same amount of time.

id like to suggest a version with blocker and 7u spacebar

Note 100% sure what you mean here but I do plane on using this same idea of the slider with other layouts in the future.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 May 2022, 15:09:26 by Frugivore »

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 June 2022, 15:15:45 »
Hi! this is the New and Updated IC come take a look. The website is still being worked on but should be ready soon.

Don't really bother reading through the above comments since the design and changed so much and basically, everything has been addressed.

I'm also glad to announce that some (yet to be determined) portion of the proceeds will go to fjord conservation. Read more about it in the Conservation section of the IC.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2022, 15:20:55 by Frugivore »

Offline alper_maestro

Re: [IC] FjordBoard; A 75%-ish keyboard with a slider | IC overhaul!
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 01:45:13 »
Hot swap PCB is nice!

Estimated price?

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 10:58:07 »
Hot swap PCB is nice!

Estimated price?

The estimated price is ~350usd at least that's what I am aiming for. No promises.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 14:52:35 »
huge fan of the slider def better than knobs. need more keyboards like this.
the top mount instead of gasket also sounds good.
but there is one problem as i am a budget user i need it in abs. this in abs and im in. are you willing to open source this project so i can make this myself for cheaper (hopefully)
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 July 2022, 15:50:17 »
huge fan of the slider def better than knobs. need more keyboards like this.
the top mount instead of gasket also sounds good.
but there is one problem as i am a budget user i need it in abs. this in abs and im in. are you willing to open source this project so i can make this myself for cheaper (hopefully)

Unforchanentaly I'm not going to make it OS anytime soon but I would consider at some point making a "Light" or "C" version that was plastic. I get that 350 is a bit much for some people but that's just what it has to be :(.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 13:08:21 »
that is great to hear. how much do you think it would cost? and i would prefer prtsc instead of delete key but that is a minor thing

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 16:43:22 »
that is great to hear. how much do you think it would cost? and i would prefer prtsc instead of delete key but that is a minor thing

No idea what it would cost I don't have any experience with injection molding. No reason that you can't rebind Del to prtsc. It's via, qmk and vial so you got lots of options.

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 July 2022, 02:19:36 »
it definitely should be cheaper than metal. forgor that you only sell a kit without keycaps and switches, renders fooled me

Offline Frugivore

Re: [IC] FjordBoard; A 75%-ish keyboard with a slider | Prototype and Vendors!
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 04 August 2022, 08:12:59 »
BIG UPDATE!

The prototype is here!

But before we get too excited I have a bit of bad news. I screwed a dimension on one piece. It's ok It can be fixed with the right tool. I'm working on that. It will be a bit before I have a sound test but in the meantime, we can look at the case and beautiful weight. I have ordered a photo box (lightbox/seamless paper with a light) to do some proper photography. Hopefully, that should come in soon. You may have noticed that the current photos are all from the manu and that's on purpose. I am waiting for the photo box.

I also have some other big news! As you can see I have a section for vendors. The first vendor to sign on is Allcaps.store who will be my vendor for Oceania.

Also, check out Kākāpō Recovery https://www.doc.govt.nz/our-work/kakapo-recovery/

That's it for now!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2022, 08:16:33 by Frugivore »

Offline Frugivore

Re: [IC] FjordBoard; A 75%-ish keyboard with a slider | Prototype!
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 31 August 2022, 16:44:11 »
It's that time again!

It's been almost a month since the last Geekhack update and things have moved along well.

The most notable thing to say is that I finally have the replacement piece that will allow me to build the prototype. I am just waiting on some screws that my local hardware store didn't have. This time for real, expect a build very very soon!

The next thing is, for lack of a better word, less happy. The slider handle has become the bane of my existence. I got a fully metal prototype and it is gorgeous, it's something out of a design studio. But the problem is the word that will send shivers down any engineer's spine... tolerances. The part itself is CNCed but the slider has wide tolerances. This means that the dimension I have to design around (the drawings that are provided) are not what it ends up being in the real world. In this case, the part is wider than what it's supposed to be by 0.03 of a mm but that's enough to make the slider not fit. The reason this is not a problem for most uses is that metal sliders (like the one used here) are designed to be used with a plastic knob. But In my opinion, a plastic knob feels cheap and I would guess that opinion is shared by most if not everyone reading this.

So what's the solution?
Well at the moment there isn't one but don't fret I have some ideas. I don't want you to have to modify your slider or lube it with graphite. The answer might be a two-part design where there is a metal piece with a plastic piece glued into it so that there can be that sweat sweat plastic on metal press fit. The only problem with this is the cost.

So my plan is to build the board and just use the 3d printed plastic slider I have so that there is a sound test out. Expect that very soon. In the background, I'll be working on the knob. Even if it means there is a month delay and it cost a few bucks more I think it's worth it to have the best product I can make.

Offline Gerzerker

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 22:43:02 »
This board looks super sleek, especially with the slider. But, can we have the logo instead of the FB wordmark? Haha. The logo looks cool. Fjord sounds great. Fjordboard sounds okay. FB sounds meh. >.<

Offline rezonated

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 September 2022, 23:19:42 »
I'm a fan of the slider, not so much for the top row bcs of the logo. Otherwise, cool! :thumb:

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 06:59:27 »
This board looks super sleek, especially with the slider. But, can we have the logo instead of the FB wordmark? Haha. The logo looks cool. Fjord sounds great. Fjordboard sounds okay. FB sounds meh. >.<
I'm a fan of the slider, not so much for the top row bcs of the logo. Otherwise, cool! :thumb:

Yep, I'm not sure exactly in what way but that blocker will not be the same in the final version. It may just be blank or it could have an adaptation of the logo but I agree the FB has to go.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 07:47:54 »
She's done!

I'm so glad I can finally say I have a fully functional built keyboard that I designed. Here are some very early photos form my phone. The light box photos will come when I get more time.

291097-0

291099-1

I'm going to try to get a sound test out later today.

Lastly, come join the discord server for more updates! Link at the top of the IC.

Offline Gerzerker

Re: [IC] FjordBoard; A 75%-ish keyboard with a slider | Proto Sound test!
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 04 September 2022, 19:31:18 »
That looks sick my guy. Congrats on the first proto.

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 19:20:59 »
Alright, it's been just over a month since the last update and some things have changed.

If you haven't seen it already the sound test is up! Check it out here!

In similar news, there are now some proper product photos; you can check them out above.

Next is a bit more in the weeds but hopefully, it brings good news. I am switching my manufacturer which means a new quote and new pricing estimates. I should be getting that very soon so keep your eyes peeled. My hope is that I can lower it; it may stay the same but ideally not any higher.

Check out the vendor list! it's not final but it's very close!

If you on the Discord you will know that the official BG date estimate is sometime in early q1. I will be having Alex (Alexotos on YT and Twitch) do a prototype build either right before or during the GB. And lastly, I am still trying to find a SEA and CA vendor.

The logo on the front is very likely going to be removed for the final version but because of the cost of prototyping and the fact that it's not structural (just aesthetics), I am not going to make a new prototype with the change. When I get time I will render it without the FB and logo so you can see what it looks like. As for the prototype, just try to imagine it being blank :)

That's it for now, expect another update soon!

Offline Frugivore

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 19 November 2022, 08:34:22 »
It's time for the final IC update before we move to a GB page!

There is very little to tell here because things like the date and price are going to be part of the GB page but I can say that Hex Keyboards is officially the vendor for the rest of Asia! You can visit them here at https://hexkeyboards.com/

Stay tuned for the GB page coming within the next few days!