Author Topic: Father's Day  (Read 1219 times)

Offline scribble

Father's Day
« on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 19:29:31 »
So this upcoming Father's Day, I'd like to give my dad a gift.

He used to be a user of the IBM buckling spring keyboard which he LOVED. Now he uses rubber dome keyboards at work (he is a coder).

I will be buying him a Cherry MX Blue I believe, does anyone want to recommend one? Currently I use a filco but I got it for really cheap.
What are the "best bang for the buck" Blue cherries out there? I might just get a Das + student discount since that will be around 100.

I encourage all of you to get your dads a keyboard though! :D
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blue | PLU ML-87 Cherry MX Red

Offline Parabellum

Father's Day
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 19:35:24 »
Ducky's 1087 and 1008 are dirt cheap over at pchome.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Father's Day
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 19:52:01 »
Dude, for reals? You should just get him a Unicomp. They're made from the same machinery as the old IBM Model M's (I believe). If he loved the buckling spring, then he'll love a Unicomp cuz they're the same thing :)

Offline scribble

Father's Day
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 21:05:08 »
Quote from: Parabellum;355699
Ducky's 1087 and 1008 are dirt cheap over at pchome.
Thanks, i'll check those out!
edit: checked it out, they're 1990 Chinese Yuan... which is equivalent to 300 dollars.
hahah where did you find the dirt cheap ones? link? :D

Quote from: daerid;355707
Dude, for reals? You should just get him a Unicomp. They're made from the same machinery as the old IBM Model M's (I believe). If he loved the buckling spring, then he'll love a Unicomp cuz they're the same thing :)
haha oohhh i like that idea, and yeah i actually used the buckling spring but i was around 5 at the time, and i HATED it because it was loud, and when i tried to sneak on the computer to play games, my parents would hear the keys! hahah, irony...
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 June 2011, 21:07:29 by scribble »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Father's Day
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 22:37:16 »
Yeah, I'd just say to get another BS board of some kind.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline audioave10

Father's Day
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 22:55:05 »
I've bought some from here and they were like new...

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Father's Day
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 04 June 2011, 22:58:35 »
IMHO, either get a unicomp of some sort or find a good, cheap, model m from ebay.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline theferenc

Father's Day
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 07:41:23 »
I would go with the Unicomp, personally. While he would likely be perfectly comfortable with getting a converter for an older Model M, the simplicity and ease of use of USB on the new Customizers is hard to beat. You could still get the 101, though, if you want the old school, no-windows key version. I'm fresh out of bolt modded 1391401's, or I'd offer up one of those.

But I do like this idea...too bad there isn't any sort of wireless converter out there that is cost effective.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline skuzzzzy

Father's Day
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 08:08:38 »
Quote from: scribble;355716
Thanks, i'll check those out!
edit: checked it out, they're 1990 Chinese Yuan... which is equivalent to 300 dollars.
hahah where did you find the dirt cheap ones? link? :D

haha oohhh i like that idea, and yeah i actually used the buckling spring but i was around 5 at the time, and i HATED it because it was loud, and when i tried to sneak on the computer to play games, my parents would hear the keys! hahah, irony...

it actually new taiwan dollar

Offline scribble

Father's Day
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 08:51:40 »
hmmm so you guys recommend a buckling spring over cherry blue?
I thought "newer technology" was better, and because the buckling spring was being used before i was even born, it seems kind of outdated almost

Offline speakeasy

Father's Day
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 June 2011, 08:56:45 »
Buckling spring requires more force to actuate, but some people actually like that. It depends on personal preference. I prefer buckling spring to my cherry browns.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!