Author Topic: All keys in row pressing (question)  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Cuddlygoose

All keys in row pressing (question)
« on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:11:37 »
Hello,

I have a keychron k8 (first keyboard I bought, lesson learned) that I recently modified. Every key on the keyboard works, expect when I press a key on the bottom row, every other key in the row triggers. Some of the LEDs are also the wrong color.

I'm assuming it's a short somewhere, but I'm not great with a multimeter. What's the best way to test this?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I know there's a lot of smart people on this forum, and I'm just hoping someone might know.

Offline nevin

Re: All keys in row pressing (question)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:35:21 »
what did you modify about it?

look for where there could be shorts... screw in stabs, anywhere the pcb may touch metal, did you solder anything? not put back together right? missing some washers or some other kind of insulator?

other than general troubleshooting, would probably need pictures to help diagnose.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:39:04 »
Keychrons have a strange PCB where the LEDs are connected to the switches by design, you're not the first to have problems with one.  If it's like the one I have a picture of from another problem board it's black and all the chips are near the bottom row?  If you have any visible damage from the mod a picture of that area might be helpful, ideally position a light to make the traces visible in the shine (if it is black this is far from easy...)

Strangely to fix this it might be easier to make the LEDs in another row do whatever they are doing on the broken row (assuming they are all set to the same colour) then you'll know what's shorted on the broken row.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:41:05 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 14:56:47 »
thanks @suicidal_orange. glad you're semi-familiar with the board, i had to look it up to see what it was.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Cuddlygoose

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 16:52:17 »
@suicidal_orange strangely enough that LEDs are the incorrect color on the normal rows. Good to know they're connected to the switches though, thanks for the info

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 10:28:37 »
Did you manage to work this out?  I'd love to know how these boards work to help others in the future.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod