Author Topic: Post your 40% layouts and their key mappings!  (Read 3534 times)

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
Post your 40% layouts and their key mappings!
« on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 05:23:21 »
Couldn't find a thread for this so here it goes! Thought it could be educational/helpful/fun to see all the different 40% key mappings/layouts because this form factor is getting more and more common. Add some comments so others can understand the layers if needed.

My daily driver is a MA42 and because of it's small form factor I use a bunch of layers. But I use more keys now then I did before on my laptop keyboard, like, navigation cluster and stuff because I don't have to reach for them anymore and they're at my fingertips.

So the layers:
  • When holding "Space" I get numbers and punctuation.
  • When holding "Enter" I get arrow keys, navigation cluster, Caps Lock (need for those CONSTANTS) and just for funsies - mouse key mapping.
  • "Media" controls the red coloured ones: Q..H are F1..F12 keys but O..' are media keys.
  • The orange key is my RGB lighting layer + Teensy Reset button.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Brot

Re: Post your 40% layouts and their key mappings!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 11:41:09 »

When holding "Enter" I get arrow keys, navigation cluster, Caps Lock (need for those CONSTANTS) and just for funsies - mouse key mapping

Is it difficult to press down enter and use arrow-keys?

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 15:59:05 »

When holding "Enter" I get arrow keys, navigation cluster, Caps Lock (need for those CONSTANTS) and just for funsies - mouse key mapping

Is it difficult to press down enter and use arrow-keys?
Not really, it's quite intuitive. Right thumb + left fingers. I don't have to leave the home row even. :)

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline tuffff

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 07:52:18 »
My Planck layout:

Got only four layers, but I wanted the modifiers to be symmetrical. I tried combining more modifiers for more layers, but the super/windows-shortcuts are uncomfortably enough as-is.

I really like the numpad-layout, it’s much easier for me to type numbers without alternating hands.

The copy/paste/undo shortcuts on the left side are an ugly necessity of a different layout, so I can use them while the right hand is on the mouse.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 13:50:27 »
My Planck layout:
Show Image

Got only four layers, but I wanted the modifiers to be symmetrical. I tried combining more modifiers for more layers, but the super/windows-shortcuts are uncomfortably enough as-is.

I really like the numpad-layout, it’s much easier for me to type numbers without alternating hands.

The copy/paste/undo shortcuts on the left side are an ugly necessity of a different layout, so I can use them while the right hand is on the mouse.

What language is that? And what layout? Looks real weird but that's just me. Been wanting to try the numpad number layout though but I'd have to reorganize my whole layout which for me is comfy. Was it hard to get used to it?

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 10:56:54 »
What language is that? And what layout? Looks real weird but that's just me. Been wanting to try the numpad number layout though but I'd have to reorganize my whole layout which for me is comfy. Was it hard to get used to it?

Wanted to post my Corne build in the 40% thread --> found this thread instead --> got distracted by the keyboard layout above because I have a crippling addiction with keyboard layouts.

This is the layout tuffff is using: https://www.keyboard-design.com/letterlayout.html?layout=adnw-mod-keen.en.ansi
It's the closest keyboard layout to that but it isn't a 100% perfect match, but close enough.

Should also mention that https://www.keyboard-design.com/letterlayout.html?layout=adnw.en.ansi is a really close match too :)