Author Topic: GMK Group Buy  (Read 8208 times)

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
GMK Group Buy
« on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 05:42:49 »
http://www.originativeco.com/blogs/news/10444269-a-black-friday-sneak-peak-handarbeit-cyrillic-pt-2

The MOQ pricing is available in the following links:

http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets-1/products/handarbeit
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets-1/products/cyrllic
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keysets-1/products/gmk-rgb

We will have a new packaging for all our items in a 2 layer cardboard we have showed previously.  We will also offer premium packaging at a little extra cost.  The GMK RGB will not have any extra packaging.

I will refund customers as we reach the new tier prices.

Also do not forget to check out our store on Black Friday!

Cyrllic ends mid December.  Handarbeit and RGB set will end in mid January.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 06:14:05 by sherryton »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: GMK Group Buy
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 05:53:39 »
Excellent

1. When are you expecting payments.

2. In the RGB, are there going to be the yellow Window keys, as they are not mentioned in the description but are present in the picture.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 06:14:59 »
Excellent

1. When are you expecting payments.

2. In the RGB, are there going to be the yellow Window keys, as they are not mentioned in the description but are present in the picture.

Cyrllic ends mid December.  Handarbeit and RGB set will end in mid January.

The Yellow Windows will be available.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 06:19:14 »
Thanks.

Please add India as an option for shipping and would it be possible to add a 1.25 menu key, as on 1.25 mods, it would be weird to have colored mods except for Menu key.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 06:31:01 »
was asked in the original thread without answer, but why is the short 1.75x right shift not part of the winkeyless mods (tsangan kit) set where it has been on every other single GB in history?

It makes no sense being in the HHKB extension kit ....

for that matter changing up the kits like you did here is just asking for confusion now when it doesn't match the "official" GH keycap sorting paper anymore
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 06:42:18 »
was asked in the original thread without answer, but why is the short 1.75x right shift not part of the winkeyless mods (tsangan kit) set where it has been on every other single GB in history?

for that matter changing up the kits like you did here is just asking for confusion now when it doesn't match the "official" GH keycap sorting paper anymore

I am trying to make it consistent so my winkeyless kits will remain the same.  My previous extension kits had 1.75x shifts, and it worked real great.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 07:17:46 »

I am trying to make it consistent so my winkeyless kits will remain the same.  My previous extension kits had 1.75x shifts, and it worked real great.

that is the problem, its consistent with nothing as it doesn't match the GH standard or your dolch which is the only previous set that had this shift.

Is the purple the same color as from Ivan's GB at least? Hopefully yes so that everyone can skip the weird HHKB set just to acquire a $16 short right shift key
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 07:35:31 »

that is the problem, its consistent with nothing as it doesn't match the GH standard or your dolch which is the only previous set that had this shift.

Is the purple the same color as from Ivan's GB at least? Hopefully yes so that everyone can skip the weird HHKB set just to acquire a $16 short right shift key

The Purple will be a bit darker.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 17:55:42 »
Can I ask what is scaring you guys from the Handarbeit?

I can include the Shift, Fn, Control, and all Windowed keys in the base, but the cost of the base will go up by a bit while reducing the cost of the full set.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:23:12 »

I can include the Shift, Fn, Control, and all Windowed keys in the base, but the cost of the base will go up by a bit while reducing the cost of the full set.

How many orders so far for the Handerbeit if its not secret? Paypal option on your website would also be nice. I'm stranded between either the Cyrilic & RGBY or just the Handerbeit, earlier I was set on the Handerbeit + RGBY, things have changed so trying to make the best decision. 
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:28:34 »

How many orders so far for the Handerbeit if its not secret? Paypal option on your website would also be nice. I'm stranded between either the Cyrilic & RGBY or just the Handerbeit, earlier I was set on the Handerbeit + RGBY, things have changed so trying to make the best decision. 

It's in 32 orders right now, 1/3rd there.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:37:46 »

It's in 32 orders right now, 1/3rd there.

Thanks for the info, and how far are we with the RGBY?

Here is my concern, I join the Handerbeit, the white set goes into production and mid January comes, we don't hit 1st tiers on the Handerbeit and I missed out on the Cyrilic..... I need to think things over before I jump ships

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:39:19 »
There are 11 orders in the RGBY.  I do not think this will go through.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:45:30 »

Just timing.  I would really like to order, but massively overspent (in general, not just keyboard-related) in October and November.  Never mind trying to catch up, I am hoping to break even in December.

Hence why I hope these will still be available in January - I think someone said orders would be open until mid-January.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 23:37:49 »

Had $1000 in unexpected expenses crop up this month, or I'd have bought it already.

That and I can't decide between this and a different set (cyrillic, etc.)

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 00:08:58 »

Like others, timing, with the holiday season of spending. That and as others have long discussed, the naturally higher price than most other sets (so it comes out to be something like $215 out of my pocket in this first tier, after taxes and shipping if I want the full set).

I'll be selling off some stuff really soon to make the funds for it.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 00:13:41 »
$195 for a keycap set? Is GMK really that expensive?

Offline daetsid

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 02:26:31 »

Wondering the same...maybe tooling set up? (amount of colours...multiple changes along the manufacturing process)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 02:32:16 »

Multi color sets are damned expensive, Handarbeit was always going to be pricey because of this.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline daetsid

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 04:00:53 »

Multi color sets are damned expensive, Handarbeit was always going to be pricey because of this.

And who told you that? Sherry?  :rolleyes:

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 04:07:36 »

No, its the same with all keycaps manufacturers. Go talk with BSP, GMK and SP and they'll all tell you the same thing. Not that you actually care, you're just here with an axe to grind :rolleyes:
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline daetsid

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 04:23:09 »

No, its the same with all keycaps manufacturers. Go talk with BSP, GMK and SP and they'll all tell you the same thing. Not that you actually care, you're just here with an axe to grind :rolleyes:

Well, it might be expensive to move from a standard production of bi-tone sets to a 10-tone set, but $200 for such set? I mean, we are moving from somewhere in the $50 or $60 per set (1 color set) to $200 for the harbeit. That is 4 times more, while the material and process is exactly the same  :rolleyes:

So yes, I am wondering why is this a group buy rather than a pre-payment sale  :thumb:

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 04:34:38 »

I mean, we are moving from somewhere in the $50 or $60 per set (1 color set) to $200 for the harbeit. That is 4 times more, while the material and process is exactly the same  :rolleyes:

What? Show me where you've EVER been able to buy single color GMK sets from for $50-60. That is completely wrong.

Offline daetsid

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 05:09:43 »

I mean, we are moving from somewhere in the $50 or $60 per set (1 color set) to $200 for the harbeit. That is 4 times more, while the material and process is exactly the same  :rolleyes:

What? Show me where you've EVER been able to buy single color GMK sets from for $50-60. That is completely wrong.

Should I ?  :rolleyes:

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 05:10:27 »

Should I ?  :rolleyes:

I'm waiting.

Offline daetsid

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 05:18:40 »
As promised (note price is in euros, quoted for 104 set ANSI)

http://i.imgur.com/EJYEdzP.jpg

:rolleyes:

Offline moogle

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 05:33:52 »

grey blanks :blank:

Offline daetsid

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 05:36:36 »

grey blanks :blank:

Yes, I know I know...Be sure, that was a quote for light grey DS.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 05:44:29 by daetsid »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:00:11 »

Blanks. Well done, quite possibly the worst comparison you could have made. Show me the quote for a full set of double shots in the $50-60 range and I'll be quiet. But you can't, because they don't exist at that price.

Offline daetsid

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:25:54 »

Blanks. Well done, quite possibly the worst comparison you could have made. Show me the quote for a full set of double shots in the $50-60 range and I'll be quiet. But you can't, because they don't exist at that price.

Definitely blanks :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:31:43 »

Show Image

So your saying what's in your picture was basically ~$40?

Offline daetsid

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:35:24 »

Show Image

Yes, without the F row (windowed).

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:38:51 »

Show Image

Yes, without the F row (windowed).

That proves exactly nothing.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:43:38 »
Hey look I can post invoices too.

Show Image

Sherry needs profit to survive. Don't blame him.

I call bull****. Your invoice clearly states blanks and mentions double-shot exactly no-where.

EDIT: At any rate it's pointless arguing this point. You seem to think that a single color set can be had for $50, I've just posted a quote from GMK that shows a dual color set costs more than that. When you scale that to encompass a 9 color set it's clearly going to increase the price.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:48:04 by bueller »

Offline daetsid

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:46:54 »
Bueller, go and get your $200 set mate. It is your money so do whatever feels best for you.

However I do not find it fair that someone talks about group buys and charges $200 for a full set. That is definitely not a GB price, it is a retail price. If GB's exist is because we try to avoid intermediates parties who get money from just dealing with the gods.

I am just proving here that GMK prices ain't that expensive.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:54:18 »
Bueller, go and get your $200 set mate. It is your money so do whatever feels best for you.

I'm not buying the Handarbeit set, I only commented because you're making claims that are wildly inaccurate.

However I do not find it fair that someone talks about group buys and charges $200 for a full set. That is definitely not a GB price, it is a retail price. If GB's exist is because we try to avoid intermediates parties who get money from just dealing with the gods.

A 104 key Handarbeit set is $136 through Originative. The $200 set is the 87 key, winkey, winkeyless, numpad, HHKB and windowed sets. So comparing this to your "$40 set" is way off mark.

You've proved nothing to me other than blanks can be had for $45 a set.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 December 2013, 06:56:00 by bueller »

Offline tinlong117

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 07:10:40 »

I'm not buying the Handarbeit set, I only commented because you're making claims that are wildly inaccurate.

A 104 key Handarbeit set is $136 through Originative. The $200 set is the 87 key, winkey, winkeyless, numpad, HHKB and windowed sets. So comparing this to your "$40 set" is way off mark.

You've proved nothing to me other than blanks can be had for $45 a set.
we all know the price isn't good. But this is sherry's business and he NEEDS profit to buy food, pay for his rent and petrol/etc to SURVIVE. No point to blame about the price. If you think it's an unfair price, just don't buy from him. :S

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 07:15:04 »

There are price tiers also and if we did an actual group buy where members ponied up for 400 MOQ it would only be $145 for a set, which I realize is still high but all things considered it's reasonable.

The thing here is sherry is willing to offer something very unique here at MOQ 100 (no doubt partially paid for by higher cost and also his cost for covering the extra cost of the other 300 sets), yes it costs more but it gets it done.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 13:15:17 »
And judging by the fact that no-one has offered this set before, and that there are currently not that many orders for it, I would suspect we are lucky to be getting it at all!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 13:21:08 »
I'll most likely order handarbeit after christmas, now my money is all tied up for gifts  :confused:
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 13:26:19 »
I'll most likely order handarbeit after christmas, now my money is all tied up for gifts

That's where I'm at. Christmas gifts for other people > More keycaps for me. Can't order until after Christmas.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 14:11:12 »
I'll most likely order handarbeit after christmas, now my money is all tied up for gifts

That's where I'm at. Christmas gifts for other people > More keycaps for me. Can't order until after Christmas.
I mean I've always wanted this set and it might be the only one so it would be foolish not to order :)
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 14:16:57 »
I totally agree with you moosecraft. I have to have Handarbeit, just not at this precise moment.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 14:29:41 »
I don't know how or why you getting such low price daetsid. Even that same sets quote to me at $78. If you can get such amazing rates why don't you run a non profit groupbuy for that then?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 14:45:30 »
Hey guys, please do not bash on daetsid.  I actually believe this guy, because I wonder how that ebayer, kbdvintage, got such a low pricing as well as the low MOQ.  I believe this a set that GMK made in excess when they were experimenting/practicing using the machines when they first received it.  I am sure the price has gone up but if the price was recent, then I vote for daetsid to run a group buy as well.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 21:51:42 »

Show Image

Well it does say "blank" on the invoice. If you received a full set of new doubleshots for 30 euro, that's one heck of a deal. If you actually received that doubleshot set at that price, I would expect it to be an error on the part of the manufacturer, especially since the invoice says blank.

Still, comparing $100 sets of single colour to a $200 set of hannerbeit, is a pretty fair price, in my estimation. They have to do a lot more work in actually making them, so the price is expected to be higher (they have to load a new colour every time, clean the machines for each change, etc.)  Unless the OQ is super high, prices will be up there.

And even if you can get brand new full sets of doubleshots for $50 shipped, I would still expect hannerbeit to be more. 4 times the price is not unheard of for this sort of thing (I would say). Especially given the low order amounts and the considerable time/trouble GMK has to go through to change colours so often for this run.

Finally, I want to get some $50 full sets of new GMK doubleshots. WOB preferably. Need one for my skeldon, and I don't want to take them off my almost NIB G80-8113 and G80-8200 keyboards.

edit
Hey guys, please do not bash on daetsid.  I actually believe this guy, because I wonder how that ebayer, kbdvintage, got such a low pricing as well as the low MOQ.  I believe this a set that GMK made in excess when they were experimenting/practicing using the machines when they first received it.  I am sure the price has gone up but if the price was recent, then I vote for daetsid to run a group buy as well.
Given this information, I have contacted GMK about this set, asking for a quote. Let's see if I can get some. I prefer WOB but BOW is still nice.

Heard back from GMK.
Thanks for your request and the interest in our products.

You are right FPTK0024 does include two-shot molded keys. The color is a light grey, called 2M.

Unfortunately we don´t have any sets in stock at the moment because we are manufacturing order related only.

The MOQ is 400 sets.

Thanks for understanding.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 December 2013, 07:55:54 by dorkvader »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 23:01:33 »
sherry can you give us exact closing date on the cyrilic set, I know its mid December, but whats the date of closing?