geekhack Marketplace > Matias

Ergo Pro missing keystrokes redux

(1/2) > >>

Gerk:
Figured it was worth making a new thread for this one as the previous thread for this (which was mine) is a few years old ...

I have two Ergo pro keyboards, both around the same age.  Within the last month or so both of them have started to have issues with missing keystrokes.  Not sure if I'm the only one or not, does anyone else have this sort of issue with their Ergo Pros?  Sadly I think I'm just about ready to ditch them and go back on the hunt for another split ergonomic keyboard to use (sigh) ... I don't think I'm willing to invest in another pair of them (I need two) given the recurring issues I'm seeing here.

My units are long past warranty so I haven't bothered trying to reach out to Matias directly to try and get support for them.  It's not a cleaning issue, or a cable issue, or anything else that's obvious that the helpdesk people are likely to be able to help me with and to be honest I just don't have the energy to do the whole helpdesk dance.

Being a coder this is a super annoying and is a show-stopper issue for me.  Having to watch the screen and verify every single keystroke press doesn't work for me, nor does have to go back after the fact and try and figure out which random quote, semi-colon, colon, bracket or other missing keystroke is causing the errors in my code!

XXXXXXXX:
This is just an issue with Matias switches in general, you can fix this by desoldering the faulty switches and soldering new ones in, I heard that Matias did some retooling recently and the switches have less wobble and are more reliable. But yeah, it sucks, I'm facing the same issue with my Mini Quiet Pro; it will either not register or double register a keypress, I fixed the not registering by going into the switch and cleaning out the gunk (the lubricant congealed into a little ball), but it still double registers sometimes.

schiorean:

--- Quote from: XXXXXXXX on Wed, 11 October 2017, 14:14:59 ---This is just an issue with Matias switches in general, you can fix this by desoldering the faulty switches and soldering new ones in, I heard that Matias did some retooling recently and the switches have less wobble and are more reliable. But yeah, it sucks, I'm facing the same issue with my Mini Quiet Pro; it will either not register or double register a keypress, I fixed the not registering by going into the switch and cleaning out the gunk (the lubricant congealed into a little ball), but it still double registers sometimes.

--- End quote ---
Am considering buying a mini pro quiet. For a full time programmimg office. Considering the common matias key problems, am I better off looking for other brand? I need something quite, 75 form factor. And I really want to buy matias but I m afraid not to waste money.

Thank you.

XXXXXXXX:
So they supposedly fixed the problems with the "Newly released" or "Version 5"  Matias Mini Quiet Pro. Unfortunately, they are sold out on Amazon, here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Matias-Mini-Quiet-Keyboard-Version/dp/B06WP84ZP1/ref=pd_day0_147_22?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06WP84ZP1&pd_rd_r=F3YMVDFRNJ98EEMK7ZCT&pd_rd_w=WONxK&pd_rd_wg=9ke5p&psc=1&refRID=F3YMVDFRNJ98EEMK7ZCT

Assuming Version 5 has improved switch quality, I heavily recommend the keyboard, as long as you don't mind the case being eternally dirty. Your coworkers might look at your keyboard and think you're really disgusting or something.

schiorean:

--- Quote from: XXXXXXXX on Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:54:17 ---So they supposedly fixed the problems with the "Newly released" or "Version 5"  Matias Mini Quiet Pro. Unfortunately, they are sold out on Amazon, here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Matias-Mini-Quiet-Keyboard-Version/dp/B06WP84ZP1/ref=pd_day0_147_22?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06WP84ZP1&pd_rd_r=F3YMVDFRNJ98EEMK7ZCT&pd_rd_w=WONxK&pd_rd_wg=9ke5p&psc=1&refRID=F3YMVDFRNJ98EEMK7ZCT

Assuming Version 5 has improved switch quality, I heavily recommend the keyboard, as long as you don't mind the case being eternally dirty. Your coworkers might look at your keyboard and think you're really disgusting or something.

--- End quote ---
Too late, wasnt even aware of v5... And keyboard company didnt reply to my email anymore. So I ordered a RF from japan.

Thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version