Author Topic: First time on geekhack  (Read 347 times)

Offline RisD0m

First time on geekhack
« on: Sat, 01 June 2024, 08:19:33 »
Hello Everyone!  :thumb:
This is my first time on geekhack and more importantly I am going to be building my own mechanical keyboard next week.
Bought the Pavlov from KBDfans earlier this week and will hopefully be arriving in (not so) sunny England on Tuesday! Will be paring it with gateron ink v2's, and will be paring it with the GMK Electric keycap set with was delivered on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to this exciting start and I hope that I will enjoy this hobby and will be a regular on the forums.

RisD0m

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: First time on geekhack
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 June 2024, 08:30:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack :)

I haven't heard of someone using gat inks to build a board in a long time. Would 100% recommend to replace the springs on them to something more consistent like tx springs (and probably something a bit lighter like 57-62g, because I find 70g to be a bit heavy, but that's a more of a preference thing) and to lube them if you haven't, with something like an oil like 105g0, and not a grease like 205g0, because it doesn't really need it and will just make the switch more sluggish.

Offline RisD0m

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 June 2024, 11:26:56 »
thanks haha
I prefer heavy switches I think, I have used Mx browns before and recently changed to reds, now I know I prefer linear switches, however (and I guess this is because of the no tactile bump) I find myself constantly mistyping words by accidently knocking a key next to the one I'm trying to use, so thought maybe getting heavier switches may help with that issue, I've ordered several other switches as well so hoping to find a switch that I find comfortable and a good balance between heavy and not being too sluggish as you mentioned. (I have also ordered some switch films so I can mess around to try and find switch and mod it how I like if not right away but at a later date and as I become more comfortable with moding and knowing my way round a switch
The switches I have ordered are:
  • Gateron Milky Yellow Pro (and non pro versions - can someone tell me the difference as I seem to be an idiot and ordered both by accident)
  • Alpaca Linear
  • Husky Switches
All of which are a bit heavier than the reds that I have at the moment, but are not as heavy as the Ink V2's.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 June 2024, 11:29:05 by RisD0m »

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 June 2024, 23:34:12 »
thanks haha
I prefer heavy switches I think, I have used Mx browns before and recently changed to reds, now I know I prefer linear switches, however (and I guess this is because of the no tactile bump) I find myself constantly mistyping words by accidently knocking a key next to the one I'm trying to use, so thought maybe getting heavier switches may help with that issue, I've ordered several other switches as well so hoping to find a switch that I find comfortable and a good balance between heavy and not being too sluggish as you mentioned. (I have also ordered some switch films so I can mess around to try and find switch and mod it how I like if not right away but at a later date and as I become more comfortable with moding and knowing my way round a switch
The switches I have ordered are:
  • Gateron Milky Yellow Pro (and non pro versions - can someone tell me the difference as I seem to be an idiot and ordered both by accident)
  • Alpaca Linear
  • Husky Switches
All of which are a bit heavier than the reds that I have at the moment, but are not as heavy as the Ink V2's.

It will probably help but I feel like you can get used it pretty quickly, If your struggling at 60g (which is cherry reds) you can go up to 70g, but would recommend trying a bunch of different options. Even if your gonna stick to the ink spring weight still recommend swaping them out because of how inconsistent they are.

Also the difference between the gat pros and the regular gat yellows is that the gat pros are lubricated, which the non pros aren't.