Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1796 times)

Offline 1f525

Hello
« on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 12:16:37 »
Here to learn about mechanical keyboards. Hope to soon be able to make my own from scratch (probably 60% using Cherry MXs). Would love thinks to how-tos you recommend.

Offline kekman

• quit life
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:47:38 »
Hey there, here are some really good resources on building custom keyboards from matt3o:

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/brownfox-step-by-step-t6050.html

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/building-a-custom-keyboard-from-the-ground-up-t5761.html

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-build-your-very-own-keyboard-firmware-t7177.html

Building your first custom is a very exciting experience and allows you to learn the basics of soldering, electronic engineering, and programming. I hope you have fun here at geekhack!

Offline 1f525

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:49:58 »
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing soldering for some time and would love to pick up a project. I had seen these great post by Matt3o before and you just confirmed that I seem to be heading in the right direction.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:52:13 »
Check out the Making Stuff Together subforum. There are all kinds of build logs in there! You could even do your own write up on your build to help others going forward.

Welcome to GH!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline 1f525

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:56:17 »
Thank you! Seems to be the place I need to hang out in.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 23:50:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Have you got a mechanical yet, or will your build be your first one?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ