geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

zZzCaps : My first foray into capmaking

(1/8) > >>

wtfridge:
Hey peeps, I'm wtfridge and I'm pretty new around here.

I feel in love with mechanical keebs around 2013–my first was a Razer Blackwidow with MX blues, but I didn't really get into the hobby until last August. It's been a wild ride ever since, and even more recently I'm really getting into artisans.

So here we are today. I want to break into the ever-growing artisan-crafting scene with some of my own designs, and I've got one today to show you all...

Presenting... The Shambler.

It's modeled after one of my favorite monsters, The Shambler, from one of my favorite games of all time, Darkest Dungeon. Being one of the most incomprehensibly harrowing eldritch horrors, I wanted to attempt to capture it's likeness so that it can start haunting your boards.

The pictures shown are probably my fourth or fifth attempt at the sculpt (I'll post those embarrassing first attempts later maybe), and I'm pretty proud of how it came out. I made it using beige-colored Super Sculpey, modeled on top of a $ynth v3.0 by HWS/Salvun. I've still got some finishing touches to make, but this is 99% done, I'd say. All that's left to do is start attempts at making the silicone mold and then the fun part of casting it and experimenting with colors and such.

I'm pretty scared of the next step, involving creating the mold. You can see in the pictures below that the top row of teeth have empty space behind them, so when making the silicone mold and removing it, it will probably break the teeth. I can probably add some clay behind the teeth, but it just won't look as "realistic". But I guess that's not too big a deal. Any advice/input here would be cool :).

I've got some other questions regarding mold-making/casting as well. Now I've tried my best to do pretty extensive research, looking through similar posts like mine made by those that are renowned in this community (Booper, ETF, what have you) and I'm still a little unsure on one thing and that's the question of vacuum degassing vs pressure chambers. I've seen that people use vacuum degassing for the mold-making process, and pressure casting for the actual resin-casting process. That's pretty expensive for someone starting out like me, so I was curious whether one of these tools will do a good job of both mold-making and resin-casting?

Also, if y'all have got any good recommendations on these tools, that'd be swell. I'd feel more comfortable knowing you more experienced folk have tested and can vouch for the vacuum/pressure chambers suggested.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text. I'll be updating this post with progress and replies in the days to come. Hopefully the day that I come back here with some actual caps to offer and show off is not far off.

Later, friends. :)

MORE PICS:
More
More
More
More
More
More
More

gr4v3m4n:
Hei, if you willing to consider getting out of the synth system or hanging out with bunch of talented artisan sharing tips and tricks about casting, sculpting or just about anything you can think of. why dont you try joining https://discord.gg/nUsyadp

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AuthenticDanger:

--- Quote from: gr4v3m4n on Sat, 16 February 2019, 19:47:16 ---Hei, if you willing to consider getting out of the synth system or hanging out with bunch of talented artisan sharing tips and tricks about casting, sculpting or just about anything you can think of. why dont you try joining https://discord.gg/nUsyadp

--- End quote ---

I think the Synth and ZButt are about the same "quality" when it comes to internals design. And the synth doesn't have print lines.

dustinhxc:
Hey that’s a really cool design man. Love the teeth! You have some good sculpting abilities. Look forward to seeing your progress.

gr4v3m4n:

--- Quote from: AuthenticDanger on Sat, 16 February 2019, 21:10:35 ---
--- Quote from: gr4v3m4n on Sat, 16 February 2019, 19:47:16 ---Hei, if you willing to consider getting out of the synth system or hanging out with bunch of talented artisan sharing tips and tricks about casting, sculpting or just about anything you can think of. why dont you try joining https://discord.gg/nUsyadp

--- End quote ---

I think the Synth and ZButt are about the same "quality" when it comes to internals design. And the synth doesn't have print lines.

--- End quote ---
Im not trying to discourge the synth or anything, just giving another cheaper option i can even say that the butt for synth that theglyph made also can be a cheaper option...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version