Author Topic: Pok3r's stock alu case  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
Pok3r's stock alu case
« on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:01:48 »
Because I was confused between blue and clear switch on my Pok3r, I ordered both of them to compare and return which I dont feel comfortable. And after received two Pok3rs I was surprised because they have very different stock aluminium case. So that I wanna share that as a review.

1st of all, very remarkable point is the case's length not the same. The one with MX Clear (White keycaps) is about 3mm longer than one with MX Blue. And as result, there is a ~1mm gap between plate and case, while the Blue has almost no gap.

The finishing are also different to each other. The Clear has a matte finish while the Blue has a glossier.

And even their profiles are diffenrent, you can see the angles in this picture. The corners and edges of Clear is overall more smoothly casted

The Clear case is even with the plate surface while the Blue have the edges raised higher than then plate.

As I read the serial number the clear Pok3r belongs to a later batches (VTPKBUS1xxxx) than the blue (VTPKBUS0xxxx) and although I love the matte finishing, I have to say the gaps/ un-fit of it are big negatives to me. I think all the tolerances are because they are casted aluminium case, so the precision cant be compared to cnc-machined, but these two came definitely from two different mold.

It will be nice if other Pok3r's owner can post their stock case with S/N so that we can determine that the quality based on batches.

P/S: I was typing this review with my clear Pok3r, and this feeling is so good :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:05:39 by Zorox »

Offline darksworm

Re: Pok3r's stock alu case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 12:38:12 »
omg nice i came.

Offline brighenne

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 13:07:26 »
I have two Pok3rs with the two different cases. The insides of the cases are also different. The older style has the ribs similar to the CNC version of the case, while the newer is more akin to a regular tray case.

Offline mrmassador

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 22:19:38 »
I know this thread is super old but I was wondering if OP can shed a little light on the differences between the two versions.

I currently have two pok3r's in clears, one with a 1xxxx serial number and the other w/ a 0xxxx serial number.

The differences in case size and case feel are definitely the case here. The 1xxxx appears to be smooth while the 0xxxx has a rougher feel. Additionally, the 1xxxx is a hair longer than the 0xxxx, leaving the same gap that you noticed too.

However, my biggest concern is the differences in stabilizers. I imagine you probably don't have the two keyboards with you, but do you notice any rattling when you press or wiggle the stabilized keys? Compared to the 0xxxx, which feels mushier, the 1xxxx has very audible rattle at the cost of being more tactile. I was wondering if you remember if this was the case for your or not.

If you still have the 1xxxx version of the pok3r, do your stabilizers rattle like mine? Or is this just a defect in mine :/