Author Topic: Off centered stems on Hako Clears  (Read 1695 times)

Offline LevelSteam

Off centered stems on Hako Clears
« on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 17:14:39 »
So I got my Gray COD67 today and assembled it, using my Hako Clears from the original group buy on the Kono store. I ran into an interesting issue that I've never seen before on any other switches though. While all the switches are centered nicely in the plate, many of them have slightly crooked/off centered stems that end up causing the keycaps to sit crooked on them. Has anyone else run into issues like this with box switches? I'm thinking I'm either going to try to find twelve or so good switches in what I have left and replace the crooked ones, or just use the Zealios I have to replace all of them.

Some pictures:

Offline LevelSteam

Re: Off centered stems on Hako Clears
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 19:17:05 »
Whelp, replaced all the Hako Clears with clipped Zealios and it fixed the issue. Kind of makes me nervous using Box switches going forward though.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 19:24:39 »
I noticed it when I was putting keycaps on, but when I was finished it didn't stick out to bad or bother me.. there were a few switches that I ditched that were *really* bad.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 20:06:06 »
I had the same issue with my WhiteFox. Good thing I had spares so I just replaced them.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 19:02:26 »
Unfortunately I also have a build with Box Navys started (just waiting on GMK Laser) that also seems to have a bunch of switches with the same issue. Those are on a KBD75 so I'll just swap out the offending switches.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 04:53:43 »
Probably an inherent issue with BOX switches? Idk.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 07:39:18 »
Stem twist is indeed an inherent issue with the Box architecture. Kailh's tolerance for this according to their specifications is 1°.

It's best to have some extra switches around in order to cherry pick those which do not manifest this characteristic.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 June 2018, 07:41:57 by _PixelNinja »