Author Topic: New Logitech - G510  (Read 3490 times)

Offline audioave10

New Logitech - G510
« on: Sat, 07 August 2010, 12:20:30 »
He never used the term "reliable" did he.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline SidiMye

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 07:33:04 »
I saw the product line posted on a different site yesterday, It would be nice to see a board like that with mechanical keys.. atleast for the sake of more choice.

Though wireless headphones? ugh no thanks those battery's only make em more heavy, and I'd never buy a wireless mouse for gaming either.
I dont really like the whole design of their lineup. It all started with the revised G15 and the G9 after that. Its.. overdesigned.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 August 2010, 07:35:35 by SidiMye »
Steelseries 6GV2 Black Cherry

Offline Rajagra

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 09:53:05 »
Quote from: ripster;210135
All you HHKB users - how come you can't program your $270 keyboard with a couple of key presses like that?  Of course you DO have DIP Switches.

Since Logitech's "programmable" keyboards do the programming by software the comparison is meaningless.

Though credit where it's due. Logitech finally worked out that 18 is more than 6, and have gone back to the original number of keys.

Offline Rajagra

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 11:10:12 »
18 programmable G-keys

With three macros per key, you can configure up to 54 individual functions per game, including single keypresses, complex macros or intricate LUA scripts. You can also create macros on the fly.

Exactly the same as the G15/G11, which do programming in software only. Move them to another PC and your programming is lost. If the drivers aren't loaded, you don't even get default functions, the keys are dead.

Agreed, the way it works is nice. But it's all in software apart from the programmable keys sending some kind of hidden scan codes. Presumably part of their proprietary USB protocol.

I've asked myself why they didn't make the entire keyboard programmable. Maybe the answer is that if they did that, any old keyboard could be turned into a slick, programmable-on-the-fly board, and their own product would lose its advantage.

Offline Mental Hobbit

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 11:54:47 »
Guess the software loads the corresponding macro set whenever a program is started. Wonder if that still works when you alt-tab between apps.
Typing on blues.

Offline gr1m

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 12:15:51 »
Looks too much like the second edition of a G15 (the orange ones). Urgh. Speaking of which, I wonder if Kishy still wants to buy mine.

Offline NamelessPFG

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 13:18:57 »
I'll pass.

Already found a G15v1 at a local thrift store for $4. I hardly even use the thing in spite of the extras because I just don't enjoy typing on it that much. IBM has spoiled me with their buckling springs. I just keep it around because it's my only USB board and I don't have adapters for the Model Ms yet.

(But if I could retrofit the whole thing with buckling spring switches...backlighting would probably be lost, but I don't need it as a touch-typist who knows practically the entire keyboard layout by feel.)

Offline In Stereo!

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 14:06:09 »
Quote from: John Deer;210386
How would you switch between the macros?

On a G11, which I used to own, there are three dedicated buttons for switching between the macro layers.

Quote from: Mental Hobbit;210395
Guess the software loads the corresponding macro set whenever a program is started. Wonder if that still works when you alt-tab between apps.

In the programming application you can make specific profiles for specific applications besides the general which is used in everyting not specifically defined and yes, the switching works flawlessly.

Quote from: Rajagra;210377
Exactly the same as the G15/G11, which do programming in software only. Move them to another PC and your programming is lost. If the drivers aren't loaded, you don't even get default functions, the keys are dead.

Agreed, the way it works is nice. But it's all in software apart from the programmable keys sending some kind of hidden scan codes. Presumably part of their proprietary USB protocol.

I've asked myself why they didn't make the entire keyboard programmable. Maybe the answer is that if they did that, any old keyboard could be turned into a slick, programmable-on-the-fly board, and their own product would lose its advantage.

Besides the drivers, you'd need to carry with you your custom profiles, if you wanted to use it on different computers. :)

The latter can be done using AutoHotKey (which I presume you are acquainted with), the Logitech macro software is basically AutoHotKey with a fancy GUI which works only with the G1-18 keys on their keyboards. Not relly something worth paying THAT much.

Offline In Stereo!

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 14:13:11 »
A local progamming keyboard manufacturer called Tipro, sells some nifty programmable keyboards, which have NKRO and plate mounted Cherry MX black switches, and for example if you put something like this besides the keyboard you already have, you'd get a product that is really worth the premium price. But no gamer would touch something that is not explicitly marketed as a gaming product, now would he. :)

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
New Logitech - G510
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 14:24:23 »
They do claim to have reduced their wireless lag, but smartly don't claim to be as fast as wired.  I wonder if their products perform better, when wired.  They don't say if you can reconnect the G510 to a wire, either.  Essentially, wireless products that can be wired for wired performance would encourage me to buy wireless.
Actually, since with the mouse, they let you get wired, when you want to and to recharge, I'm ok with the wireless.  
Wireless that can be wired in general, guarantees I have detachable wires.  I would rather buy a CST trackball, but I'd prefer a mamba to my death adder, for example.

The design looks chunky and old school, in a bad way on these products, although, I think the G510 looks a little smoother, than the G15
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline NamelessPFG

New Logitech - G510
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 15:07:30 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;210445
A local progamming keyboard manufacturer called Tipro, sells some nifty programmable keyboards, which have NKRO and plate mounted Cherry MX black switches, and for example if you put something like this besides the keyboard you already have, you'd get a product that is really worth the premium price.

Those look pretty interesting. I might consider a smaller one as a macro pad or something of that nature, as you describe, but I wonder if the programmability has anything on CH Products' Control Manager Scripting. (I planned on using a Multi-Function Panel as a macro pad because of that. It's basically an Ergodex DX1 with different drivers, which means that the keys can be stuck anywhere on the main device as desired. I have no idea how high-quality those keys actually are, though.)

Quote from: In Stereo!;210445
But no gamer would touch something that is not explicitly marketed as a gaming product, now would he. :)

Guess that makes me not a gamer.

I'm waiting for a 3dconnexion SpacePilot to arrive so I don't have to remap movement keys from WASD to ESDF all the damn time and possibly also get analog movement in some games. (Note that it's generally marketed as a professional 3D design peripheral and would probably not work as a game controller without the help of PPJoy and GlovePIE. The drivers just don't allow for it.)

Then there's my choice of headphones. Thought I'd be using some sort of Razer, Logitech, Turtle Beach, Astro, Tritton, Psyko, etc. headset? Nope. Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s and a desk mic. Those things work wonders with CMSS-3D Headphone, are very comfortable, and don't completely break the bank for something often raved about on a place like Head-Fi.

And, of course, there's a reason I'm using the IBM Model M and NOT the Logitech G15 as my keyboard of choice...

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
New Logitech - G510
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 15:37:35 »
The only reason to only look in the realm of game labeled products is some level of confidence that QA involved gaming & if one is too cheap/lazy to analyze one's personal requirements, then go find and test the product that best meets those requirements.  
I've only one thing to say about people who would only following marketing hype classification in their purchase decisions: :flock: :flock: :flock:

On PC a seperate mic and the best set of cans (or best budget cans), definitely beats out the lamer headsets in price/performance ratio.
Unfortunately, I keep considering the lamer headsets, because that kind of arrangement doesn't work with PS3.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq