Author Topic: Bought the IBM PC-AT 84-key from goodwill  (Read 9496 times)

Offline Astra Diesel

Bought the IBM PC-AT 84-key from goodwill
« on: Thu, 07 February 2008, 19:25:34 »
Clean and heavy. Luckily, a ps/2 converter adapter is already atached to the tip of the original connecter Unfortunately the number "five" key (not in the numeral pad) and the "plus equal sign" key, also not in the numeral pad does not work. Otherwise, I am loving this keyboard. Anyway is there ANY way fix the two keys? Here is how it sounds when I click on the key. Other keys that work will give me a distinctive "click" sound, and the number five and plus/equal sign key do not make any noise, maybe strange murmur of plastic hitting the bottom?

The keyboard cord is very long, and coiled at the middle. Where do I find the date of its manufacturing?

More testing for sure.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 February 2008, 19:33:53 »
Whew, thank goodness. I popped off the 5 key and +/= sign key and replaced the key again, and they work.

So I went to two thrift stores today, and the this was a diamond in the rough.

Offline zerogravitas

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 February 2008, 19:41:31 »
Nice!  Congrats. :)

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 February 2008, 19:51:29 »
Thank you zerogravitas. I enjoy seeing your avatar.

I won't repeat what everyone already said in the threads about their Model M's, but I'm sure this is pretty similar to the model M. The pc-at iis pretty hefty and will not move around when I'm typing. The keys are not wobbly at all, and the tactility is mind blowing. This is my first keyboard away from three membranes:
1. Apple Design Keyboard, makes my fingers go numb.
2. Wireless Logitech cordless express desktop (creepy piece of engineering by the way; my neighbor's wifi signals seem to possess it and when I'm writing, it would get a mind of its own. Add the microwave machine, the TV antenna, and some I would be pulling my hair out.),
3. and a HP Multimedia keyboard, with these stupid chiclet keys embedded near the top edges of the keyboard so I can FAX, and press the entertainment key so I can CHECK ON THE LATEST SPORTS STATS AND ENTERTAINMENT NEWS, <-- this keyboard must be condemned.

You see, why go wireless, when I have a cord that is nearly long as the Brooklyn bridge, if you ever decide to, god forbid, unkink the curls.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 01:31:27 »
Very nice.  We MUST SEE PICS!!!  ;)

I suggest a tear down and a good cleaning.  Those keyboards can get quite nasty inside.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 02:00:43 »
Ill get some film printed this weekend, and scan it.  :) :)

I blasted this thing with a can of compressed air but the grime is still there, plus I think the spaces between the keys are very tight, that I don't there was any effect on the dust. I used about three sheets of Clorox sanitizing towels to wipe the cord and the body, took a thin film layer of yellowish grim off.

I haven't taken apart the keyboard yet because I lost my slotted screw, but ill pick one up somewhere. I can see, what I presume is the PCB or whatever the surface is underneath the keys, and I think I may need to bring a hose and some industrial strength cleaners to wipe off this reddish, crusty, grime tomorrow.

What do you recommend I use to clean the keys? Can you tell me how long I should soak them in the cleaning solution?

This keyboard just feels so right, even though the delete key has shrunk and the one control key I have is where the caps lock should be. This is somewhat of a blessing. I can copy, paste, select all much easily.

Pics to come.

Offline iMav

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 02:05:38 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;2838
What do you recommend I use to clean the keys? Can you tell me how long I should soak them in the cleaning solution?

I typically just let the keys soak in hot, soapy water (I use dishwashing soap) while I clean the rest of the keyboard.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 02:07:09 »
Is the PCB allowed to be cleaned?

Offline iMav

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 02:16:39 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;2841
Is the PCB allowed to be cleaned?

Some cotton balls and alcohol on the PCB should be fine.  Whatever you use, just make sure it is nice and dry when you are done.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 02:33:40 »
Thanks, I'll definitely use them.

The space key seems to be very heavy. I have to hit the space bar smack dab in the middle for it to easily activate. I think I might have a bad spacing habit because hitting the space bar from the extreme left or right feels like the buckle springs are more heavily sprung than the middle area. (there are 3 spring wells for the space bar? )

Offline iMav

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 02:41:42 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;2843
The space key seems to be very heavy. I have to hit the space bar smack dab in the middle for it to easily activate. I think I might have a bad spacing habit because hitting the space bar from the extreme left or right feels like the buckle springs are more heavily sprung than the middle area. (there are 3 spring wells for the space bar? )

There is only one bucking spring for the space bar...but there are two other "wells" (as you put it) used to guide the space bar.

Definitely get the keyboard all cleaned up before making any determinations on functionality.  There could be a lot of crap underneath that space bar (have you pulled it off yet?).

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 03:00:19 »
The space bar is heavy because of the way the metal stabilizer is shaped and positioned.  Metal stabilizers in general are supposed (although it might not work) to help the bigger keys glide better no matter where you press the key because if you only have the wells, then there would be one optimal position pressing down the key where the key glides best.

Whatever you do, don't remove the metal stabilizer for this kind of heavy to press spacebar, as it is very difficult to put back on correctly.  I removed it to clean the inside, and it took me forever to put back on.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 06:25:58 »
Yikes, if you read my review of the Apple Extended II...

You definitely want to clean that keyboard.  I haven't done a review of the older Apple Keyboard yet because I haven't had the time to CLEAN one of them.  Once you pop it open you're like "I can't believe I used this before cleaning it" and even worse "I can't believe I am doing this in my own HOUSE".  

I would suggest, if you can make it happen, a good dose of compressed air on the board.   OUTSIDE. AWAY from your home.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 06:38:43 »
Quote from: ashort;2853
Yikes, if you read my review of the Apple Extended II...

You definitely want to clean that keyboard.  I haven't done a review of the older Apple Keyboard yet because I haven't had the time to CLEAN one of them.  Once you pop it open you're like "I can't believe I used this before cleaning it" and even worse "I can't believe I am doing this in my own HOUSE".  

I would suggest, if you can make it happen, a good dose of compressed air on the board.   OUTSIDE. AWAY from your home.

I'm yet to buy a used keyboard.  Looks like it's going to stay that way.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 09:15:41 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o;2854
I'm yet to buy a used keyboard.  Looks like it's going to stay that way.

Yeah....I'm pretty much cured of it myself.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 09:17:21 »
Quote from: ashort;2853
"I can't believe I used this before cleaning it" and even worse "I can't believe I am doing this in my own HOUSE".

Another one (fortunately this hasn't happened to me!): "I can't believe I ATE SOMETHING while touching this keyboard!"
Andrew

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 13:08:24 »
All I have to say is ignorance is bliss.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 17:06:59 »
I've bought a flathead screw today, and I removed the four screws on the top of the keyboard on its backside. But It seems I can only open it part way! Are there any screws at the bottom of the keyboard? When i apply more pressure to the lowera half of the keyboard to pry it open, I can hear some cracking noise, and I'm afraid I'll break it or something. Are there any screws or nuts that I need to loosen?

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 17:11:03 »
This should be a better pic, I just don't know how to pry that portion open

Offline iMav

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 17:14:25 »
Quote from: Astra Diesel;2862
I've bought a flathead screw today, and I removed the four screws on the top of the keyboard on its backside. But It seems I can only open it part way! Are there any screws at the bottom of the keyboard? When i apply more pressure to the lowera half of the keyboard to pry it open, I can hear some cracking noise, and I'm afraid I'll break it or something. Are there any screws or nuts that I need to loosen?

Wish I could be of more help.  But I have never touched that particular model of IBM keyboard before.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 17:58:08 »
I've opened the back, its fine, the lower portion seems to be held together be plastic hooks.

Upon inspecting the back plate, I found a pool of dried up, and crusty,  whitish fluid, hopefully, milk that someone had split. :eek:

The left portion of the metal PCB backplate had some sort of crusty buildup,
similar to white crusty stain I found on the back plate but no matter how hard I scrubbed the stain seemed permanent. Could it be that the pcb plate warped or disintegrated?

here's what i'm talking about when I said the metal pcb back plate. (picture from http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/model_m_trivia.html#5640991)

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 18:14:13 »
Am I the only one that's totally creepy out by "crusty whitish" stains in a keyboard?  

If the stain you're trying to remove is on the metal plate[i/] that's beneath the PCB, you can use just about any cleaner you have handy to get the stain off- I just wouldn't spray it directly on the plate.  Spray a little on a cloth or a scrubbing pad, then scrub at the stain.  You could even use steel wool of fine sandpaper if it's really resistant.  Just be careful not to let any bits fall into the workings- if you do use wool, I'd hold the keyboard up and work from underneath.

Offline Astra Diesel

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 18:17:07 »
I guarantee you you are not the only one creeped out about that crusty white crap. I used this industrial grade sanitizing spray to remove it. I'm still shuddering from the thought of this stain may be. :eek:

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 February 2008, 18:32:29 »
Yeah, I've got a couple tubs of Decon wipes that I use for anything questionable.  I figure a bactericidal, virucidal, pseudomonicidal, fungicidal and tuberculocidal designed for laboratory and hospital use is prolly sufficient unto the day.

Offline iMav

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 09 February 2008, 03:43:18 »
Quote from: ashort;2856
Another one (fortunately this hasn't happened to me!): "I can't believe I ATE SOMETHING while touching this keyboard!"

What about eating something FROM the keyboard?

Mmmmm...'board chow.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 February 2008, 06:04:19 »
ugh........
Andrew