geekhack Community > Keyboards

Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)

<< < (3382/3384) > >>

Awoke:
I got my first MK. It's a lot more impressive than I was expecting. Now, I want to make it as quiet as possible. Any help of suggestions on where to start or the appropriate place to find information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ander:
Should you wear brown shoes with a blue suit?

ShangWang:
I found this 4mm thick foam in my room that I could potentially use for dampening my HyperX Alloy Origins but I'm not sure what kind of material it is or if it's appropriate for the task. I just know that if the foam is not electrically conductive, it would work.





https://imgur.com/a/YjFSftK

The foam is a bit hard, with some rigidity and has a somewhat smooth texture with little pores. Does anyone know what material this is? Would it be good for keyboard dampening?

ShangWang:
I plan on purchasing a soldering matt for resoldering a HyperX Alloy Origins which presumably has an aluminum plate on the exterior and the switches are plate mounted.

The silicone matt has these magnetic areas for placing your screws, but my keyboard is just big enough that it takes up the whole matt space and overlaps these magnetic areas.

If my PCB or any part of the keyboard touches these magnetic parts while soldering, can it cause any damage whatsoever, or is it completely safe?

If there was any damage, would the magnets have to be extremely strong for it to do anything?

invariance:

--- Quote from: ShangWang on Fri, 09 June 2023, 09:55:28 ---I plan on purchasing a soldering matt for resoldering a HyperX Alloy Origins which presumably has an aluminum plate on the exterior and the switches are plate mounted.

The silicone matt has these magnetic areas for placing your screws, but my keyboard is just big enough that it takes up the whole matt space and overlaps these magnetic areas.

If my PCB or any part of the keyboard touches these magnetic parts while soldering, can it cause any damage whatsoever, or is it completely safe?

If there was any damage, would the magnets have to be extremely strong for it to do anything?

--- End quote ---
Nothing to worry about. Think of a generator where the fast motion of many wires in a loop through a magnetic field creates a voltage. Moving a circuit board over a magnet will not do anything.
If you drag your feet over polyester carpet and then touch the circuit board, that might be a different story  :))
Discharge yourself by touching someoneĎa earlobe first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version