Author Topic: Looking for a good RTS gaming mouse  (Read 3446 times)

Offline phantaxo

Looking for a good RTS gaming mouse
« on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 12:49:07 »
Hey Guys!
i hope you can help me.

i am currently looking for a new mouse. i am playing quite a lot but only RTS Games like Starcraft2 and Dota2 and it should be a small/midsized-mouse which aims for RTS usage.

idk, actually i dont know much about mice tbh and as far as i managed to check the internet the zowie mico appeared to be exactly what i am looking for BUT it is literally EVERYWHERE out of stock. so i guess i have to forget the zowie mico. or does anyone know where its still available?

i have to admit i really dont like razor products and dont want to buy one and i dont know if i like the logitech designs either.

can you guys help me ?

what is important if i aim for RTS games? the sensor? the dpi? is there an alternative zowie product which fits my considerations?

i hope this is the right topic for this thread.

looking forward to your help guys :)

thanks a lot!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Looking for a good RTS gaming mouse
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 12:53:07 »
Have you looked through this thread yet?

When I played SC2, I used a Logitech MX518 and a Razer Abyssus. For me, the most important thing is how the mouse fits in my hand. I prefer optical sensors since I feel like they track better for me but I believe the G9Xs I used to use were lasers. Now I use the CM Storm Spawn. I use 1800 DPI so I don't care about high DPI.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in a mouse though so what I like might not be what you need or want.

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 13:32:24 »
Yea, this question kind of boils down to preference and research.
I spent a good week or two researching before buying mine.
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 13:35:24 »
Didn't realise but GeekHack already has a thread on this.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

There's another one at overclock.net which goes even more in depth.

Do the research dude and pick one for you!
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 20:12:37 »
I think the g402 or 302 would be great for you, if you like finger claw type grip.

Deathadder is still one of the best ergo right handed mouse there is.  If you require more buttons (esp for sc2), then you'd wanna think about getting of those lazer mmo mice offered by logitec and razer (I'd go with the logitec one). 

For example, when I used to play tos on SC2, I'd have your normal control groups 1-4 bound on the keyboard, but separate production plants will be bound on extra mouse buttons under my thumb.  Then I'd have groups of probe or special unit bound to other buttons on the mouse so I'm always macro'ing.  Was very useful.

Still, for dota 2, I don't think any can match CM storm spawn/lower dpi equivalent or the g302.

Offline phantaxo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 12:45:27 »
thanks guys for all your replies!
you helped me quite a lot and i actually found out what appears to be important looking for a mouse.
great !

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:43:01 »
No to Zowie. They have bad QC and so many basic persistent issues they haven't fixed.
Buying a Zowie is almost a mini lottery in itself because you have a decent chance of getting a bad one.
They're terrible imo but personal bias aside they use huanos which are bad for spam clicking in moba/rts.

So I would really urge you to stay away from the Zowie FK1 and FK2.

For small to midsized.
Avior 7000, Caster 7000 (due sometime in march or april), Roccat Kone Pure Military, G302 (but this uses a ****ty ass basic sensor for the money you are paying), FinalMouse, Razer Abysuss

Probably missing 1 or 2 but this should get you started.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 January 2015, 03:45:11 by the1onewolf »

Offline phantaxo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:17:23 »
thanks for your reply and suggestions 1onewolf.
the avior7000 and finalmouse are looking quite interesting actually.

what i like on the mico is its simplicity and very basic shape/design. i never use more than 1 sidebutton since i prefer hotkeys on my keyboard way more and even with several steelseries mice i have been using any kind of software to adjust something.

i am also quite interested in the logitech g100s since it appears to be kinda similiar to mico in terms of design. is there something similar around which hasent been mentioned yet?

Offline Johan

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:32:32 »
The g100s is good if you can get it for cheap, I prefer the shape and switches of the mico however. The biggest difference is that the mico lacks the slope, which made the g100s not so great for me. Also the switches are kinda mushy compared to what I'm used to.
I currently swap between my mico, g9x and ninox aurora.
Uh, stuff.