Author Topic: Ducky Shining replacement keycaps?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Thermy

Ducky Shining replacement keycaps?
« on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 16:47:31 »
   I decided to finally upgrade from my g15 to a mechanical keyboard and plunged right in getting a ducky.
I ordered the shining edition in green off amazon. The purple wasd keys were poorly coated in the paint, but I wasn't really planing on using them.
I spoke with amazon and they told me they couldn't send me out replacements although they did give me a very good partial refund.

The purple keys got me thinking though, I know there are tons of keycaps available, but are there any that will let the led shine through the lettering?
I would love to trick out this new keyboard with some cool keycaps. Please let me know.

Offline Encryptor

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 18:00:17 »
There are a few sets of clear or partially clear cherry MX keycaps on ebay.  For example, here.

Offline Thermy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 19:01:36 »
What about something not fully clear, kind of like the keycaps that come with it, but maybe different colors?

Offline panduh

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 January 2012, 20:16:55 »
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?25610-Alternative-key-caps-for-Ducky-Shine

There really aren't many options right now for backlit keyboards.  White and full clear are about the only options at the moment.  Once backlit keyboards take off a bit more and become more of a mainstream item I'm sure there will be more.  I ended up just grabbing a few full clear ones for wasd and esc and delete and I am just waiting for different colored ones in the future.  

I'm really hoping for purple keys with a white backlit ducky shine.  Only time will tell.

Offline balanar

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 January 2012, 23:04:13 »
Well white backlit ducky shines are already available so it'll be a matter of time before the keycaps appear I hope.

Offline Squelos

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 06:49:15 »
I dont really know if backlit keyboards will really become mainstream.

Keyboards have been along for a long time, LED's have been around for some time too.
But mos people just dont look at their keyboard while typing, or dont use it in total darkness.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 07:34:39 »
In my opinion, the lighting is for other people to look at, or to create some sort of ambience. I'm not really a fan, but I do like the idea of having all the led's controllable (like on the proposed "light" keyboard that we're making a reality after the phantom.), just for all the options you get with it.

Also, I totally look at my keyboard (one of them at least) when typing, but there's really no reason for me to learn to touchtype QWERTY.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 February 2012, 13:15:44 »
When playing a dark night mission in Arma2, with lights turn off. It really feel immersive with a backlit keyboard.
Plus, I surf the net with light off most of the time. I guess backlit keyboards are for the guys like me.
btw, I type 20wpm :baby: