Author Topic: Looking for something like these stickers but in keycaps...  (Read 3386 times)

Offline Von Steve

Looking for something like these stickers but in keycaps...
« on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 05:51:52 »
Saw these really nice looking florescent keycap stickers on Amazon. I was wondering if it would be possible to get them made as keys anywhere without having to wait too long/or if anyone knows of some keycaps similar to these. I don't care for the glow in the dark/florescent effect as much as I do for this color, it looks awesome to me for some reason :p. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here

Offline dirge

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 06:37:29 »
Think I saw a youtube video of someone with these on a leopold otaku

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cni6enquqCI&feature=related
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 08:01:59 »
Quote from: dirge;519471

That actually looks pretty good!

Offline Von Steve

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 09:28:26 »
Quote from: dirge;519471

Wow, looks better than I thought! I still would much rather have keycaps over stickers though :/.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 17:21:15 »
You might look into waterslide decals. They are often used in models and its sort of like quick and dirty pad printing. You use a regular printer, and it prints it onto a layer that comes of the paper transferring only the ink onto the surface. It is not especially durable alone but most of it can be clearcoated afterwards for added durability. The good thing about it is you can put any color your printer can make onto any color plastic. It also won't ruin the key feel like a sheet of vinyl will. I have not tried it on keycaps yet, I am still working through my collection of fonts, but I will be doing some testing soon.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 00:34:13 »
Quote from: lysol;519914
You might look into waterslide decals. They are often used in models and its sort of like quick and dirty pad printing. You use a regular printer, and it prints it onto a layer that comes of the paper transferring only the ink onto the surface. It is not especially durable alone but most of it can be clearcoated afterwards for added durability. The good thing about it is you can put any color your printer can make onto any color plastic. It also won't ruin the key feel like a sheet of vinyl will. I have not tried it on keycaps yet, I am still working through my collection of fonts, but I will be doing some testing soon.

Interesting found. Please keep us update.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 00:46:25 »
I definitely will. I have a set of Cherry PBT and some waterslide sheets standing by as soon as I finish sorting through my fonts I will do a few probably wasd, and test durability for a few weeks. If it holds up I will do the rest.
I have been on the fence about getting a lasered custom set done by wasd. I have no problem with the quality, but vastly prefer Cherry profile caps. If they got Cherry caps in I would not even bother with any of this... but at the same time, color is nicer looking to me than laser even if it is ghetto DIY. I am still pretty curious to how it will hold up to constant contact, i have some models that I did years ago that look great, but I am not touching them all day.

Offline Von Steve

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 05:19:43 »
Quote from: lysol;520399
I definitely will. I have a set of Cherry PBT and some waterslide sheets standing by as soon as I finish sorting through my fonts I will do a few probably wasd, and test durability for a few weeks. If it holds up I will do the rest.
I have been on the fence about getting a lasered custom set done by wasd. I have no problem with the quality, but vastly prefer Cherry profile caps. If they got Cherry caps in I would not even bother with any of this... but at the same time, color is nicer looking to me than laser even if it is ghetto DIY. I am still pretty curious to how it will hold up to constant contact, i have some models that I did years ago that look great, but I am not touching them all day.
Awesome, thanks! IIRC though, model decals are definitely prone to nail scratches and such, so I can't see them holding up at all by themselves, on key caps especially :/.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 15:33:13 »
Exactly, that's where a decent hard clearcoat comes in. Even then though, I do not expect them to be lasting forever. Could always do the 'ninja' style and it would be a non issue since you typically don't touch that part of the cap.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 16:09:07 »
Glow in the dark doubleshots. Someone please make it happen.
Dvorak