Author Topic: PBT vs. ABS in Water?  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Funktion

PBT vs. ABS in Water?
« on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 19:30:02 »
Recently got a new Filco Majestouch and was under the impression that it did not come with PBT Key caps. I saw this video a little while ago and tested it on the stock caps it came with and looks like they very well may be. does anyone know whether is a legitimate test or not?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: PBT vs. ABS in Water?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 19:43:34 »
Recently got a new Filco Majestouch and was under the impression that it did not come with PBT Key caps. I saw this video a little while ago and tested it on the stock caps it came with and looks like they very well may be. does anyone know whether is a legitimate test or not?

PBT sinks, ABS floats, and there are exceptions to every rule.

Yes, in my opinion this is a valid test.

- Ron | samwisekoi
No little picture of my "new" TG3 yet.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Funktion

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 19:50:35 »
well you have earned my trust and respect simply based upon the fact you are a gold fish good sir!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 19:54:24 »
well you have earned my trust and respect simply based upon the fact you are a gold fish good sir!

That was Samwise.  He was my #1 Koi until he passed away one Winter's day.  That was his baby picture.  He grew to about 14" and I don;t know how many pounds.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Vintage

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 21:07:18 »
It's a valid test I think.

But I am 99.9999% sure that there are no filcos with stock PBT caps.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline Funktion

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 21:54:34 »
Tested it again just to make sure i'm not going crazy; still sinks. though as vintage said I too was 99.9999% sure they were not. I think the question is satisfied but if anyone else wants to check their board out of curiosity the stock model is:

FKBN104M/EFB2
(Majestouch Ninja 2)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 22:09:44 »
Perhaps they are high density ABS? lol

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:09:44 »
That was Samwise.  He was my #1 Koi until he passed away one Winter's day.  That was his baby picture.  He grew to about 14" and I don;t know how many pounds.
Way to make me sadface now every time I see your name and avatar, Ron! How long did he live? Do koi have personality?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:11:18 by esoomenona »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 08:33:39 »
I thought that PBT sinks MORE QUICKLY than ABS.

When I clean them I dump them in a bowl of hot soapy water, and I never have a problem with either type floating, except for a few stragglers that I dunk with my fingers.

A sure test is to swirl a drop of acetone on the underside of the key and see if it leaves a mark. It will not affect PBT.

Or, boil them for 5 minutes and see whether they deform.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:36:00 »
That was Samwise.  He was my #1 Koi until he passed away one Winter's day.  That was his baby picture.  He grew to about 14" and I don't know how many pounds.
Way to make me sadface now every time I see your name and avatar, Ron! How long did he live? Do koi have personality?

He was a tough, bad-ass koi whom I raised from (literally) a small fry.  He bossed around his pond-mates and was our most personality-filled koi.

He only lived a few years, when a sudden overnight cold snap got all of the koi.  It was sad then, but now I just have fond memories, so no sad-face anymore.

Also, like PBT, koi turn out to be heavier than water.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: PBT vs. ABS in Water?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:38:50 »
That was Samwise.  He was my #1 Koi until he passed away one Winter's day.  That was his baby picture.  He grew to about 14" and I don't know how many pounds.

He was a tough, bad-ass koi whom I raised from (literally) a small fry.  He bossed around his pond-mates and was our most personality-filled koi.

He only lived a few years, when a sudden overnight cold snap got all of the koi.  It was sad then, but now I just have fond memories, so no sad-face anymore.

Also, like PBT, koi turn out to be heavier than water.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

You called?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:46:55 »
I used saturated salt water to discriminate easily.

EDIT: and it is difficult to discriminate between koi and kingyo to normal people including myself :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:49:15 by hasu »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:16:21 »
I used saturated salt water to discriminate easily.

EDIT: and it is difficult to discriminate between koi and kingyo to normal people including myself :)

Well, kingyo don't like ANY salt, but koi quite certainly do.  Also, kingyo float!

p.s. Look at the fins and face.

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:21:58 »
All ABS keys do sink once all tiny air bubbles are gone. (they usually hide in the stem hole) They sink rather slowly though, while PBT behaves like your average rock. Well, almost.