Author Topic: Sources for windowed Wyse keycaps?  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Sources for windowed Wyse keycaps?
« on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 11:39:43 »
I recently acquired the massive SkiData board - sans keycaps, and I'm in the process of fitting it out with a Wyse cap set.  The dark blue on beige/gray looks quite nice on this board, and the Tsangan kit is on the way from TechKeys. 

I'm looking for sources/suggestions for some specific keys, the NumLock and CapsLock (which latter is stepped too...).  Each of these stock keys had inset clear windows in the lower portion for the LED lighting.  Were there any other keyboards that had these specific key caps in something approaching Wyse colors?

Also looking for suggestions for the rather wide ISO return and the 1.75x (?) backspace keycaps.  I got a really nice stock ISO return from WhiskeyTango's Wyse sale, but it's a bit... narrow.  Fits fine, just leaves a gap on the L/R sides. 

Hopeless quest?  Any suggestions welcome!

Offline Findecanor

Re: Sources for windowed Wyse keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 17:49:17 »
It sounds like your keys are probably from a keyboard with Terminal layout, such as the Wyse 85.
An ISO return key, Caps Lock and Backspace from a Wyse PCE keyboard (PC enhanced layout) should fit just fine.
I know of no Wyse keyboard that has windows in the Caps Lock or Num Lock keys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2013, 17:55:43 by Findecanor »

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 17:54:52 »
Your keys are probably from a keyboard with Terminal layout.
An ISO return key, Caps Lock and Backspace from a Wyse PCE keyboard (PC enhanced layout) should fit just fine.
No inset clear windows, though.

That PCE board looks like just the ticket, thanks!  It would also fill in the top of the number pad, currently these key caps are the same color as the number keys.

17655-0

I may have to break down and look for another donor SkiData board to get those windowed key caps.  Or modify some caps, if I can find Wyse PCE sets at a reasonable price.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 18:01:04 »
Note that it has to be an ISO version of the PCE board, though. Most keyboards I have seen have had ANSI layout.

By the way, may I ask, what is the profile of those arrow keys? Are they not one row up compared to normal arrow keys?

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 18:32:58 »
Note that it has to be an ISO version of the PCE board, though. Most keyboards I have seen have had ANSI layout.

By the way, may I ask, what is the profile of those arrow keys? Are they not one row up compared to normal arrow keys?

Thanks for the tip, that would be just my luck to get my hands on the wrong PCE Wyse board.   :))

I think what you're seeing is the way the top plate of the SkiData board is kind of bowed up, the directional key caps are the same profile as the NumberPad #1.  Are they supposed to be taller?  Both sets I have, one from the terminal board sale run by WhiskeyTango and the other from Ovoxo's sale thread, have the same profile. 

(2nd from left - Directional arrow key, 3rd from left - #1 key)
17685-0

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Steve41184/media/20130310_005342_zps4d98e50f.jpg.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2013, 18:36:06 by Greystoke »

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 20:10:55 »
Your keys are probably from a keyboard with Terminal layout.
No inset clear windows, though.

That PCE board looks like just the ticket, thanks!  It would also fill in the top of the number pad, currently these key caps are the same color as the number keys.

(Attachment Link)

I realized after I posted this that I also need a single unit "+" key and a single unit "0" key as well, for the number pad.  The Wyse PCE has a double-sized "0," and the Wyse terminal board has a white/pale gray " ' " in the  "+" key position. 

Man, this key cap matching exercise is a PITA!  No wonder people stick with stock Cherry and IBM/Unicomp boards as much as possible...   :(
I may have to break down and look for another donor SkiData board to get those windowed key caps.  Or modify some caps, if I can find Wyse PCE sets at a reasonable price.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:02:53 »

I realized after I posted this that I also need a single unit "+" key and a single unit "0" key as well, for the number pad.  The Wyse PCE has a double-sized "0," and the Wyse terminal board has a white/pale gray " ' " in the  "+" key position. 

Man, this key cap matching exercise is a PITA!  No wonder people stick with stock Cherry and IBM/Unicomp boards as much as possible...   :(

welcome to the fun world of owning an 1800, or 1800 like layout in your case.

soon TM you will be able to get the "+" & "0" and the others which are wrong profile here: [size=78%]http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39731.0[/size]

----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 21:09:37 »
also you can get the rest of the WYSE PCE keys from here already in the US: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39771.0
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^