Author Topic: Keycaps for backlit keyboards?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline lunatics

Keycaps for backlit keyboards?
« on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 18:03:41 »
Hey guys I have a CM Storm Trigger and want to get into getting some additional keycaps for it, but I'm not sure what to do about the LEDs and which caps to get. I'd really like to get the Day[9] set today while it's on sale and maybe some other caps while I'm at it, but I don't know how the solid keys like that will look on a keyboard with LEDs.

Does anyone use "solid" keycaps on a backlit keyboard and if not is there somewhere specific that sells keys for backlit keyboards, or a way to sort only for keys meant for backlit keyboards?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Keycaps for backlit keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 18:31:18 »
I've got the same keyboard, and the short answer to your question is; there aren't any.   :mad:

Okay, that's too harsh.  There aren't very many other keysets I've found that work with back-lit keyboards.  I've seen pictures (Look at the Ducky page on Facebook, for example) showing white/translucent keycaps on backlighted boards, but for relatively opaque keycaps with clear legends you'll have to scrounge other brands (again, Ducky...) for non-stock replacement sets.

There are a few OEM keycaps that had transparent windows for NumLock and CapsLock, as well as sets for video editing keyboards or airline ticket agents that had a lot of windowed keys, but there you'll run into issue with LED placement.  CM puts the LED at the top of the switch, while most OEM Cherry boards with backlit keys have the LED at the bottom.