Author Topic: alps key caps?  (Read 12431 times)

Offline monday

• Days of Game
alps key caps?
« on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 05:29:05 »
so I have a bad looking set of alps key caps but I want a new one for when my key board is done..... Im cutting it down to 75%. any one know where I can buy one?

thanks I hope your all having a nice day.

Offline llovro

Re: alps key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 05:40:50 »
Your best bet is getting them off some old keyboard (I personaly really like font on Apple keyboard, for example Apple extended keyboard) or start a alps key caps group buy here (SP can make them http://keycapsdirect.com/).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 09:29:43 »
Apple keys are very nice but do not integrate with anybody else's.

The Dell AT10x family has conventional layout but are not anything special.

Old boards like Northgate and Focus have great keys, but are so pricey that you would want to use the board itself anyway.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 09:36:09 »
I bought a Dell AT101W just for the caps but if youre making a 75% board like the Race layout, you might have a hard time with the oddly spaced keys like the short right shift

Offline monday

• Days of Game
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 18:11:45 »
na im just cutting it down :D so no odd keys

Offline monday

• Days of Game
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 18:18:43 »
this is what it is looking like right now lots to go

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 18:28:56 »
I've had pretty good luck getting Magitronic (Focus) keyboards for around $20-$30 each, including shipping. 

Lately I've been hunting old Toshiba laptops for their Alps-compatible keycaps.  Some pretty neat color combinations, and the limited selection of modifiers wouldn't be as much of an issue if you're going for a 75% layout.  The beauty of these key caps is that they're all doubleshots, from what I've found so far.  Some have pad-printed secondary legends, like on the fronts of the keys.

The article that led me to the Toshiba source: http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/toshiba-t3100-t5200-t4711.html  From the article:

"From what I found on all the Toshiba T-series laptops, the following have ALPS compatible keycaps. T1200, T2100, T3100, T3200, T5100, T5200"

I haven't found any of the pictured graphite/orange modifiers, but I have almost complete sets in a nice cream-coffee color, and a set in gray w/graphite modifiers.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 20:46:39 »
Show Image

You are cutting a Leading Edge DC-3014 down into 60% form factor.  I'm horrified and amazed at the same time.  Such a rare board...T__T
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline monday

• Days of Game
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:36:21 »
Show Image

You are cutting a Leading Edge DC-3014 down into 60% form factor.  I'm horrified and amazed at the same time.  Such a rare board...T__T
....... I didnt know its rare.... but yeah! I am... its the best KB I have ever typed on but I dont want to use it with a 10key.... so yeah im doing it........ best part got it for 1.50$ in the back of a shut down swap meet :D

Offline monday

• Days of Game
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 23:57:02 »
I've had pretty good luck getting Magitronic (Focus) keyboards for around $20-$30 each, including shipping. 

Lately I've been hunting old Toshiba laptops for their Alps-compatible keycaps.  Some pretty neat color combinations, and the limited selection of modifiers wouldn't be as much of an issue if you're going for a 75% layout.  The beauty of these key caps is that they're all doubleshots, from what I've found so far.  Some have pad-printed secondary legends, like on the fronts of the keys.

The article that led me to the Toshiba source: http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/toshiba-t3100-t5200-t4711.html  From the article:

"From what I found on all the Toshiba T-series laptops, the following have ALPS compatible keycaps. T1200, T2100, T3100, T3200, T5100, T5200"

I haven't found any of the pictured graphite/orange modifiers, but I have almost complete sets in a nice cream-coffee color, and a set in gray w/graphite modifiers.

omg thats soooo cool I love them thanks. ima start looking.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 00:24:15 »
I've got a Focus FK2001 with doubleshot caps & white alps that I wouldn't mind selling.

Offline monday

• Days of Game
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 00:31:02 »
I've got a Focus FK2001 with doubleshot caps & white alps that I wouldn't mind selling.

Show Image

oh that looks nice! depending on how much you are thinking of selling it for I might be interested... just not the same layout of my KB. KD

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 00:50:06 »

Show Image

oh that looks nice! depending on how much you are thinking of selling it for I might be interested... just not the same layout of my KB. KD

Whoops, didn't notice that the layout was different. Anyway, I sent you a PM.