Author Topic: Spherical keycaps  (Read 1822 times)

Offline BlueBär

Spherical keycaps
« on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 18:58:41 »
I'm currently on the hunt for some spherical keycaps compatible with Cherry MX, I spent the last two hours (at least) searching on Google, Ebay, GH and DT, following lots of dead links or dead ends.
Sources seem to be SP keycaps (which are too expensive for me), older/vintage keyboards and electric typewriters. However often information seems incomplete, and another problem is that sometimes the switches look like they might be Cherry MX compatible but aren't. So can you guys help me out? Is this still up to date? Which G80 variants/other keyboards have spherical caps? Is there a list of Cherry MX compatible switches? Where did you get yours if you have some?

Thanks in advance!

[Look what you have done to me. I have my mech now since a week :))]

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Spherical keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:11:57 »
Watching this thread as well, I'd love to find some Cherry MX-compatible spherical keycaps.  Or Alps-compatible, for that matter.

I have one Wang/Keytronics vintage board I'm thinking of harvesting the caps off of, glue Cherry stems in them to make a set of sphericals, but I need a smaller keyboard to use them on.  All my current keyboards are 104-key, except for the Noppoo Choc Mini, which I like as it is.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Spherical keycaps
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 19:35:20 »
I think your best bet will be to wait for the DSA groupbuy to ship and pick up a set from someone that changed their mind about them. While there are many cool vintage sets to be had, putting them on a modern board is a futility as you will never have a full fitting set, they just didn't have a lot of the keysize in use now back then and didn't give a f*ck about the keys fitting inside a rectangle.

That list of typewriters is mostly for Cherry cylindrical.