Author Topic: NIB Japanese IBM "Pingmasters" back online, $24.95+shipping  (Read 31661 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
NIB Japanese IBM "Pingmasters" back online, $24.95+shipping
« on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 04:01:59 »
Mendelsons Surplus has re-listed, on their website, the Japanese version (p/n 6112883) of the vintage IBM "Pingmaster":

NIB IBM Japanese Lettering Typing Computer 102 Keyboard Letter Type 6112883

178315-0

Though they continue to sell the Chinese version (p/n 6113442 ) here on eBay, most of us assumed the Japanese version sold out some time ago. This should be good news to several GH peeps who were sorry they'd missed them.

These are unused, high-quality vintage IBM mechanical keyboards sealed in their original boxes. They have double-shot SA keys (not seen since IBM's early beam spring boards), rare "T-mount" Alps SKCC Green switches, and many custom-legendable keys with transparent covers. It seems likely they were designed for financial institutions, as they closely resemble IBM's Model F banking boards.

GH members have dubbed these "Pingmasters" because of the unique "musical" sound produced by their unusual switches and heavy metal plates.

There are several threads about them here on GH, and Chyros did this swell video review.

Note that these have a non-standard connector and protocol—so to use them with a modern PC, you'll need to add and program an inexpensive Teensy converter, which anyone with basic electronics skills should be able to do; details here and here.

At just $24.95 plus shipping, it's a pretty remarkable chance to own an obscure piece of IBM history.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 September 2017, 20:00:41 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline OldIsNew

Re: NIB Japanese IBM "Pingmasters" back online, $24.95 + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 14:04:55 »
Thanks for posting! I have one of the Chinese version boards and like it, but really had wanted the Japanese version - I really like those keys.

EDIT: Wow it looks like those went fast!
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 September 2017, 14:09:28 by OldIsNew »

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 14:29:18 »
Crap. This is too fascinating, sounds too pleasant to type on, and I love genuine classic SA. Worst of all is that I can afford it. My boyfriend is going to kill me for adding another to the collection. D:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 01:51:23 »
Crap. This is too fascinating, sounds too pleasant to type on, and I love genuine classic SA. Worst of all is that I can afford it. My boyfriend is going to kill me for adding another to the collection. D:

In this case, it really is too cool, unusual and cheap to pass up, IMHO. Besides, the Japanese Pingmasters are the only keebs in the known universe with a "000" key.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 09:01:12 »

In this case, it really is too cool, unusual and cheap to pass up, IMHO. Besides, the Japanese Pingmasters are the only keebs in the known universe with a "000" key.  :?)
Nah, 000 keys are pretty normal on Japanese keyboards. Even the BFK had one ;) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 September 2017, 20:20:59 »
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. I received my order today including an invoice for "IBM Japanese Lettering" Model 6112883 but received the Chinese 6113442. I'm sure at this point I'll be told the Japanese version is out of stock. We'll see what they say. Oh well.

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 01:47:07 »
I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. I received my order today including an invoice for "IBM Japanese Lettering" Model 6112883 but received the Chinese 6113442. I'm sure at this point I'll be told the Japanese version is out of stock. We'll see what they say. Oh well.

Mine arrived today as well, but hadn't had a chance to take a look until now. Same issue, mines packaged in the 6113442 box with a part# of 6341739

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:56:52 »
Nah, 000 keys are pretty normal on Japanese keyboards. Even the BFK had one ;) .

Thanks for pointing that out... Shows you how much I know.

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. I received my order today including an invoice for "IBM Japanese Lettering" Model 6112883 but received the Chinese 6113442. I'm sure at this point I'll be told the Japanese version is out of stock. We'll see what they say...

Oh, man!! They have the Chinese boards listed here separately, but of course someone there may be neglecting to notice the difference and is sending out Chinese boards to fulfill Japanese orders. If so, I'm sure sorry for the confusion.

That said, if you do get another Chinese board, you could always convert it to a Kishsaver like Dorkvader did.  ;?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 September 2017, 17:58:39 by ander »

Offline OldIsNew

Oh, man!! They have the Chinese boards listed here separately, but of course someone there may be neglecting to notice the difference and is sending out Chinese boards to fulfill Japanese orders. If so, I'm sure sorry for the confusion.

That said, if you do get another Chinese board, you could always convert it to a Kishsaver like Dorkvader did.  ;?)

Thank you for the sympathy, however I now have to give major props to Mendelson's.  As I posted earlier I received the the Chinese instead of the Japanese board. I emailed Mendelson's and they were very quick to respond, apologized for the mix up, and shipped the the correct board the same day. It arrived and it's the right one! I can see how easy it would be to mix them up - the boxes are identical except for the printed sticker on one end. No bar codes on those old boxes. I do like to acknowledge good customer service, since it seems to be so rare these days!

EDIT: I hadn't seen dorkvader's pingsaver mod before - that is seriously awesome!
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 20:36:06 by OldIsNew »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
...I now have to give major props to Mendelson's.  As I posted earlier I received the the Chinese instead of the Japanese board. I emailed Mendelson's and they were very quick to respond, apologized for the mix up, and shipped the the correct board the same day. It arrived and it's the right one!...

So they do have more of them—great! I can now de-vague-ify my thread's subject.

EDIT: I hadn't seen dorkvader's pingsaver mod before - that is seriously awesome!

Yeah, don't they look great? Between these boards's rareness and that outrageous mod, it's a head-turner all right.

Offline matt-taco

Re: NIB Japanese IBM "Pingmasters" back online, $24.95+shipping
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 21:27:45 »

Note that these have a non-standard connector and protocol—so to use them with a modern PC, you'll need to add and program an inexpensive Teensy converter, which anyone with basic electronics skills should be able to do; details here and here.

Hasu also sells a converter that's TMK compatible. Its the ibm 4704 converter. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

It works a dream I love it just plug and play. It's 44 bucks a little more than twice that of a teensy and it also ships from Japan. I live in maryland and it reached form japan to west to east in about 5 days. Actually arrived before my pingmaster.

Overall, it cost more, but like, it's plug and play + you can use this http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_alps to remap it (sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink text).

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:34:54 »

Hasu also sells a converter that's TMK compatible. Its the ibm 4704 converter. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

It works a dream I love it just plug and play. It's 44 bucks a little more than twice that of a teensy and it also ships from Japan. I live in maryland and it reached form japan to west to east in about 5 days. Actually arrived before my pingmaster.

Overall, it cost more, but like, it's plug and play + you can use this http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_alps to remap it (sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink text).
Thank you for posting this!  I have both the Japanese and Chinese versions still in box.  I'll have to check this out!  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:14:57 »
Picked up the Chinese legend version this week from Mendelsons.

189932-0

I <3 this keyboard

If you could get the speaker working over USB, that would be truly amazing.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:34:58 »
OMG.  The speaker works with hasu's adapter.  The max volume is hilariously loud.  Ha!

Offline mogo

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:02:18 »
OMG.  The speaker works with hasu's adapter.  The max volume is hilariously loud.  Ha!

Vidjeo! Please share!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:13:03 »

Vidjeo! Please share!

Here youz goes:

Offline mogo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 10:29:25 »
lol! It sounds like you're working at a grocery store!  :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:23:02 »
Awesome, dude. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. And I l-o-o-o-v-e your cute kitty! She's obviously a KB fan like you.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:35:40 »
In case you haven't noticed, Mendelssons [sic] is selling two variants of the Japanese board. Here's how they appear on their website:

Here's the difference:

[eyes glazing over] Must... have... one... of... everything...

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 12:28:23 »
and, thank you for your community service! ;D
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 21:23:24 »
Don't thank me. Thank the autism gods.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
NIB Japanese IBM "Pingmasters" back online, $24.95+shipping
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 23:01:29 »
Oh damn...

I already have a 6112883 and a 6112884. Now I’m lusting over that 5954339 ‘board.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 02:52:53 »
Oh damn... I already have a 6112883 and a 6112884. Now I’m lusting over that 5954339 ‘board.

Here's an appropriate soundfile you can play while you're deciding. Be sure to adopt a crazed expression, rub your hands together, and mime the voice.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:18:01 »
Labels are coming along. I really miss having a color calibrated monitor.  Makes print work a lot harder

not 100% sold on the colors yet, but we'll see.

191920-0

191922-1

Offline kelvinhall05

• LinusTechTips
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 11:40:25 »
Is it possible to still buy these NOS somewhere for cheap?

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 14:26:12 »
I don't know what they were going for then, but I see them popping up on Ebay now and running up to 250 before they sell.

Which puts them pretty squarely out of my range. I'm hoping someone puts a bunch of them back on again.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 13:57:32 »
I don't know what they were going for then, but I see them popping up on Ebay now and running up to 250 before they sell.

Which is an outrageous price, scarcity notwithstanding. The point of the pingmasters was that they were good, if memetic, keyboards for a very low price (even Hasu's TMK converters cost more). Anything over 75 (and that is being generous) is an inappropriate price, especially since there's still plenty of them around (even if in scalpers' hands).

I'm thankful I got mine (both Chinese and Japanese versions) at an appropriate price.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 16:14:32 »
I'm glad you mentioned that, I was wondering what to look for for a good price for them. I'll keep an eye out for them in that range. Hopefully another bunch will hop online soon to bring the price down.  :-[

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 03:03:49 »
Wow, this is all so nostalgic.  :D

I just searched for "Pingmaster" on eBay, and didn't see any, at outrageous prices or otherwise. If they're so sought-after now, why aren't people listing them?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 08:43:54 »
Wow, this is all so nostalgic.  :D

I just searched for "Pingmaster" on eBay, and didn't see any, at outrageous prices or otherwise. If they're so sought-after now, why aren't people listing them?

Good idea.  I'll list mine at 2K!  :p