Author Topic: [IC] OG Coil Cables - Finalizing Color Choices  (Read 22563 times)

Offline Vloshko

Re: [IC] OG Coil Cables
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:21:08 »
Heatshrink can easily be to-order rather than making everything the same.

Right, I was just shooting my opinion in general and not making that part of what I said necessarily about the cables overall. Thanks for the clarification regardless.
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:31:10 »

I 10/10 agree and I'm quite interested. As far as heatshrink goes, I think it should remain black as opposed to doing grey/beige as another user mentioned.

Heatshrink can easily be to-order rather than making everything the same.

Good to know  :thumb:

I wouldn't really want black heatshrink on my beige cable.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 03:18:52 »
Beige or white color will be  :thumb:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:36:47 »
Figured I'd offer a summary thus far of the results on the IC form:

Summary of the total responses

Black is winning hard with beige second

Thiccness is surprisingly close together with 6.5mm being the highest

Coils vs total length is also surprisingly close, I think it was at 50:50 at 84 responses

Coil sizing has a pretty definitive split

So it looks like the current majority winner is black, 6.5mm thick, with a focus on mostly coils of 25mm OD.

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 21:04:48 »
So it looks like the current majority winner is black, 6.5mm thick, with a focus on mostly coils of 25mm OD.

dayum, really wanted beige, im still gonna pick up a black one tho

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 21:09:58 »

I think people will be very happy with this cable thickness and coil size. It's close to the IBM coiled beige cable I posted earlier.

Is there a chance of running multiple colors, or do we need to limit it to one for MOQ purposes?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 22:03:57 »
I'm willing to try for multiple MOQs as long as people fully understand what that entails as they're at least 100 units. I may see about getting quotes from a couple other manus to see if they do any better or worse than my previous comparison.

Also, do note that just because these are the results now doesn't mean they're final. I'm leaving the form open while I'm at San Antonio to gather more responses and I'll take final results some time next week

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 08:17:14 »
I'm willing to try for multiple MOQs as long as people fully understand what that entails as they're at least 100 units. I may see about getting quotes from a couple other manus to see if they do any better or worse than my previous comparison.

Is the MOQ 100 per cable connector type or just 100 cables with various connectors?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 08:42:44 »
Just 100 per cable design, connectors don't matter since I'll be dealing with them myself. So for example, black 6.5mm with 25mm coils would be 100 moq, white 6.5mm with 25mm coils is 100 moq, and white 5mm with 25mm coils is 100moq.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 09:31:47 »
Would be very cool to have both a dark and lighter color available.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 12:15:10 »
This is glorious, and worth drilling a bigger hole in my EVE-Project chassis to accommodate the thicker cable. I'm in all the way.

Offline Rowanblood

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:41:15 »
In for one or more- I love this.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:44:31 »
Really hoping beige ends up being an option.
Would love 2 of them.
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline MungFuSensei

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:40:56 »
I think it might be possible to offer 2 colors, but it's gonna be hard to do more than that if there's a 100 MOQ for each. Do we have numbers from other cable group buys to compare, and see what kind of participation can be expected?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 21:50:50 »
What if you open the gb for a single color, then run the next most popular color as a round two? If it's anounced up front, then people can decide for themselves whether to join and support round one, to help ensure a round two happens.

Offline JP

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:03:07 »
I'm interested in 2-3 black coiled cables.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 11:35:46 »
Hope beige can be an option in a next round.

Offline JP

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 21:01:24 »
乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚 plz  :D
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline superhot

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:03:55 »

my man

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 10:54:31 »
Interest has been piqued.  ^-^

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 19:34:26 »
Alright, I figure now would be a good time to go ahead and call in the votes so I can get to work on the quoting process.

Black still severely in the lead with beige a loose second.

6.5mm won thiccness with 5mm and 8mm tied for second

In coils vs length, coils won out preference, but just barely.

Lastly, smaller coils landed a definitive victory over larger coils.

So, what does all this translate into for the actual cables? Pretty obviously I'll be going with black as the main option, but I think I'll also try getting a quote for beige. For the other three traits, thiccness, coils:length, and coil size, they must be added together to get the full picture. The 6.5mm cable mixed with the 25mm OD coils means that it only takes ~58.12mm of cable to make a single coil which is a relatively small amount compared to my initial 40mm coils number. Because of this, we can get more coils per length of cable, which will be suitable for the slightly mixed results of the coils:length question. Base on an approximately 4572mm max cable length, I'm thinking of going with the following configuration:

D=25mm - the OD/outer diameter of the coils
D1=6.5mm - the OD of the cable itself
L1=60mm - the end that plugs into the keyboard
L2=500mm - the end that plugs into the pc/hub
L=448mm - the length of the coiled section

This config would give a total length of 1008mm or just over 1m, with almost half of that being delicious thick coils.

Let me know your thoughts on this config so I can see if it's mostly reflecting what people are looking for in these cables.

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:38:59 »
Any chance of a female USB-C termination at L2?

My ideal would be a male/female coupler of some kind (even USB-C works) half way along the coil as I like my cables fixed into the board, but I can see how that's being greedy and not a popular position for a GB, so a female USB-C termination is a happy medium for my snowflake requirements.

Overall, a solid 8/10 Will Buy from me.

EDIT: also is L1 fixed at 60mm? I'd like a little bit more length on an un-terminated cable so I can hack a mini-USB into m'Teensy as a special pretty please.

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:47:04 by emenelopee »

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:39:36 »
These specs look good.  :thumb:

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 17:32:32 »

My ideal would be a male/female coupler of some kind (even USB-C works) half way along the coil as I like my cables fixed into the board, but I can see how that's being greedy and not a popular position for a GB, so a female USB-C termination is a happy medium for my snowflake requirements.

EDIT: also is L1 fixed at 60mm? I'd like a little bit more length on an un-terminated cable so I can hack a mini-USB into m'Teensy as a special pretty please.

Show Image

About how much would you need on the board side of the coils?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 19:46:09 »
Alright, I figure now would be a good time to go ahead and call in the votes so I can get to work on the quoting process.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

So, what does all this translate into for the actual cables? Pretty obviously I'll be going with black as the main option, but I think I'll also try getting a quote for beige. For the other three traits, thiccness, coils:length, and coil size, they must be added together to get the full picture. The 6.5mm cable mixed with the 25mm OD coils means that it only takes ~58.12mm of cable to make a single coil which is a relatively small amount compared to my initial 40mm coils number. Because of this, we can get more coils per length of cable, which will be suitable for the slightly mixed results of the coils:length question. Base on an approximately 4572mm max cable length, I'm thinking of going with the following configuration:

Show Image

This config would give a total length of 1008mm or just over 1m, with almost half of that being delicious thick coils.

Let me know your thoughts on this config so I can see if it's mostly reflecting what people are looking for in these cables.

TBF, beige+white+grey combine to over 50%, so a light color might be more popular than black  :p
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 19:54:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

TBF, beige+white+grey combine to over 50%, so a light color might be more popular than black  :p

all 4 of those options would go with pretty much any color of keyboard
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:07:46 »

Show Image

About how much would you need on the board side of the coils?

About 150 mm (6 in) should do it. That's total, so +90 mm onto the 60 mm you have now. Depends on how tight the radius can go on the cable without stressing the Teensy socket.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 22:34:06 »

all 4 of those options would go with pretty much any color of keyboard

I think black goes well with darker cases, but a lighter cable goes nicely with all colors.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 21:23:38 »
So, got some good news. I checked with a backup manu for a quote on both black and beige cables, and their pricing was significantly better, ~63% better than the previous quotes I had received, though still with the same 100 unit moq. This is great news since it'll mean cheaper cables for you guys, and a chance to sell more of them since a lower price point. I'll be doing the math on pricing over the next few days and be looking to launch early next week if there's no issues.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 23:02:23 »
So, got some good news. I checked with a backup manu for a quote on both black and beige cables, and their pricing was significantly better, ~63% better than the previous quotes I had received, though still with the same 100 unit moq. This is great news since it'll mean cheaper cables for you guys, and a chance to sell more of them since a lower price point. I'll be doing the math on pricing over the next few days and be looking to launch early next week if there's no issues.

Sorry if I missed it, but does this mean that you'll be doing Beige and Black at the same time?
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
Re: [IC] OG Coil Cables - GB soon™
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 23:25:56 »

Sorry if I missed it, but does this mean that you'll be doing Beige and Black at the same time?

Yep doing both of them this run since it'll be easier to get the to MOQ now.i was even yoying around with the idea of something like a neon pink cable too, but I wasn't sure if that would have a chance.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 00:02:48 »

Yep doing both of them this run since it'll be easier to get the to MOQ now.i was even yoying around with the idea of something like a neon pink cable too, but I wasn't sure if that would have a chance.

Awesome!  :) 
Yeah, don't think I personally would get pink, but I'm definitely down for that Beige.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 00:11:19 »

IN FOR NEON PINK!

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 09:19:42 »

IN FOR NEON PINK!
I'd by the **** out of that. No losing that cable eh?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 10:07:12 »

I'd buy all 3. Especially the neon pink.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 22:05:44 »
So since there was at least a little interest I've gone ahead and asked for a quote on the neon pink cables as well since there's no real harm in just getting a quote for them. I've also asked for a shipping quote on all the cables, so that'll let me figure out end pricing. As of right now I'm still planning on using my default USB connectors for these cables, so if anyone has any suggestions for other diy USB connectors lemme know and I'll look into it. I'm fine with the normie connectors but I know other people were perhaps wanting something a bit fancier.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 23:07:27 »
So since there was at least a little interest I've gone ahead and asked for a quote on the neon pink cables as well since there's no real harm in just getting a quote for them. I've also asked for a shipping quote on all the cables, so that'll let me figure out end pricing. As of right now I'm still planning on using my default USB connectors for these cables, so if anyone has any suggestions for other diy USB connectors lemme know and I'll look into it. I'm fine with the normie connectors but I know other people were perhaps wanting something a bit fancier.

I would like the "normie" connectors on mine  ;D
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 23:20:45 »

I for one am stoked for neon pink. Let's make this happen, cap'n!

And contrary to my previous requests, the awesome curls are good enough to be a permanent feature so I withdraw my request for female UCB-C or some other coupler type: USB-A or USB-C normie terminations work fine.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 23:58:07 »
I'd love to get some suitable replacements for my IBM boards that are getting converted to USB - I'll try to get some measurements on XT and 122 Terminal cables when I get back on tuesday. The XT one has some wiggle room, but the terminal board has a pretty picky small spot for cables so I'd have to be worried about thickness on that.

(USB A -> USB Mini, if it's not clear, also)
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:19:00 »
Alright, got some more numbers back and some color samples. I'm ok with the black they sent me since it's kinda hard to mess up black, but not so much the beige

Imo it's a bit too saturated of a beige for what I was looking for.

Good news is, they'll match RAL color codes, which IDKWTF they are, but a bit of Googling shows there's a bunch of them to choose from, so I'll be looking through those to find the color I think the beige needs to be, as well as finding one for the neon pink.

Offline emenelopee

Re: [IC] OG Coil Cables - Finalizing Color Choices
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 17:34:36 »
Looks like khaki to me, judging by this scientific scale I found on the internet:

RE: neon pink, I don't know if you can colour match neon - a nice solid magenta will do for me.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 18:07:24 »

Looks like khaki to me, judging by this scientific scale I found on the internet:

Show Image

RE: neon pink, I don't know if you can colour match neon - a nice solid magenta will do for me.

Yeah I'd be in for magenta. No losing a bright pink cable!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 22:59:02 »
There is actually a decent "neon" pink, RAL 4010

And I'm also pretty certain on RAL7004 for the beige

And I also think I'm gonna do RAL9011 for the black since it would do really well with the matte finish I think

There's also a bunch of other colors on the RAL chart that would make neat cables in the future, such as RAL3026 or RAL6038, though their purple options are a little lacking imo. Plenty of stuff to think about for future drops.

I'll probably launch the GB tomorrow if I hear back confirming they can use my color choices.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 23:38:31 »
Alright, got some more numbers back and some color samples. I'm ok with the black they sent me since it's kinda hard to mess up black, but not so much the beige
Show Image

Imo it's a bit too saturated of a beige for what I was looking for.

Good news is, they'll match RAL color codes, which IDKWTF they are, but a bit of Googling shows there's a bunch of them to choose from, so I'll be looking through those to find the color I think the beige needs to be, as well as finding one for the neon pink.

Damn!  Yeah, that's like brown khaki.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 23:44:45 »
Show Image

Show Image

And I also think I'm gonna do RAL9011 for the black since it would do really well with the matte finish I think
Show Image

There's also a bunch of other colors on the RAL chart that would make neat cables in the future, such as RAL3026 or RAL6038, though their purple options are a little lacking imo. Plenty of stuff to think about for future drops.

I'll probably launch the GB tomorrow if I hear back confirming they can use my color choices.

RAL7004 looks more grey than beige to me.  I tend to think of beige as being a bit more yellow than that.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 23:45:42 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

i'd be obligated to buy that pink.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 00:02:22 »

RAL7004 looks more grey than beige to me.  I tend to think of beige as being a bit more yellow than that.

Yeah, judging colors based off what they look like on screen isn't the most dependable. I'll probably be looking into getting an RAL booklet here shortly to be more accurate in my color picking, though they're a wee bit pricey.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 00:04:56 »

Yeah, judging colors based off what they look like on screen isn't the most dependable, and I'm trying to get the beige closer to like IBM case beige than "normal" beige. I'll probably be looking into getting an RAL booklet here shortly to be more accurate in my color picking, though they're a wee bit pricey.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 00:18:52 »

Yeah, judging colors based off what they look like on screen isn't the most dependable. I'll probably be looking into getting an RAL booklet here shortly to be more accurate in my color picking, though they're a wee bit pricey.
Using a non TN panel monitor helps immensely.