Author Topic: [IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (GB is alive 4.5~5.5)  (Read 11505 times)

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
[IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (GB is alive 4.5~5.5)
« on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 09:59:19 »
Set name: SA Blue Addon Novelties
Profile: SA
Design:MaMa+hoq

GB started!
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88709.0

Thanks for zslane's permission for this color way. I really like this color scheme and developed some kits for Dasher and Dancer.

MD poll: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/SA-Blue-Addon-Novelties

The products layout:

Renders:

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 03:45:19 by hoq »

Offline gaiden

Re: [IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (3 sets)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 10:12:44 »
Wow love them! They are fantastic!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline poolside

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 10:26:25 »
I like the first set of novelties  :thumb:
It includes twice the same cap however:

Offline mathilda

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 15:06:06 »
Great work hog!

Would you please add 4 more Windows cap for each set! (2x 1.25u, 2x 1u). Here is my idea for icons:

- For set #1 (Dasher): The monitor of Dasher terminal has a very special shape, an icon based on that monitor is perfect for Windows cap.
- For set #2 (Dancer): An retro style radio would be great :D
- For set #3 (Ocean Dolch): A whale?

Icons of set #1 don't have the same style as #2 and #3 ones. IMHO I think they should have the same style on all 3 sets, and should be simpler and more minimalist.

Offline poolside

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 15:23:41 »
Great work hog!

Would you please add 4 more Windows cap for each set! (2x 1.25u, 2x 1u). Here is my idea for icons:

- For set #1 (Dasher): The monitor of Dasher terminal has a very special shape, an icon based on that monitor is perfect for Windows cap.

Icons of set #1 don't have the same style as #2 and #3 ones. IMHO I think they should have the same style on all 3 sets, and should be simpler and more minimalist.

I suggest a seahorse silhouette for set #3 as dolphins (7th cap from left) and whales have already quite a similar shape.  :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 15:58:13 »
Be careful with some of the small details on those. The tolerances for double-shot plates aren't as precise as our graphics applications are capable of.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 23:10:56 »
(Attachment Link)

My fault, there must be a rabbit there.
I'll mend it later. :)

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 23:13:56 »
Big fan of the first set of novelties. What is Ocean Dolch?

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 23:25:08 »
Great work hog!

Great work hog!

I suggest a seahorse silhouette for set #3 as dolphins (7th cap from left) and whales have already quite a similar shape.  :)

Thank you for your advice.
For #1, a shape of dasher monitor is unique, we can add one. In fact we also cosidered the Dasher company's logo, that also a interesting icon,  but for the IP issue, we gave it up.
For #2,  ok, I'm trying to add one for reference.
For #3,  maybe I can add a whale or seahouse in R3 1.25u and 1u.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 23:29:16 »
Be careful with some of the small details on those. The tolerances for double-shot plates aren't as precise as our graphics applications are capable of.

Yes,some  lines are too thin and quiet much ,
I'll try to cancel some lines, blending into white blocks, ;D

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 23:46:33 »
Big fan of the first set of novelties. What is Ocean Dolch?

I don't know why there is no dolch color SA keyset( except R5 grey and black)untill now,
I like Dolch, so I'm planning to develope a dolch color SA keysets with black, grey, and seafoam blue,I call it Ocean Dolch,
It's just a basic idea now, still in developing.

In Set #3, If you only buy the R1 novelties , the BFQ color is hard to match any other current SA keysets until now,
so, if we have a dolch color keyset, it will match BFQ better. That's our basic concept.

Offline poolside

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 04:00:24 »
(Attachment Link)

Wait, a rabbit in a science-themed novelty kit? How about some kind of computer chip instead or a spacesuit helmet?  :)

Edit: the Dasher monitor is also nice. I missed that in the comments.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 04:03:02 by poolside »

Offline Seelen

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 15:24:23 »
Not really a fan of any of these designs. I feel like a lot of your novelties feel rather unbranded and generic because they have no ties to parts of culture or pop culture that people feel strongly about.

Generally I provide some sort of constructive criticism, but in this case, I honestly don't like any of the designs at all. I am still searching for novelties for the Dasher kit; however, that doesn't mean you should stretch and dilute the concept to the point where it's just a pile of vaguely related things (like the music set; good idea, but the execution of instruments next to a bunch of random speakers?).

They should feel natural and intuitive. These just don't. The biggest problem, I think, is that you are dead set on making the `1-9-= into a full set of novelties, when you clearly don't have 14 keys worth of good ideas. It comes back to the natural and intuitive.

I will agree that having a set of novelties across that top row looks amazing...but only when it feels natural, like zodiac signs, or whatever. Just ask yourself this: If you were to view each of those symbols separately, what would they make you think of? Would anybody feel a connection to them? If this is just about pure aesthetics, then why not just come right out and say that, and start looking at complimentary colors (MOREBLUE isn't always the answer on a blue and blue set)

The only thing I have to add to this really, is the same photo I shared in the other thread:

I HIGHLY doubt more than a one or two people would even know what this shoe is, nor would they care if they did...that's not really the point though. Rather, look at the similarity in color with the Dasher set, and how nicely the tan goes together. Looking for out of the box complimentary colors is what makes a set stand out. In the case of this shoe, they go for 4x their retail value because people loved the colors so much. Quality over quantity...why not start experimenting more with color?

Also, your ideas are extremely abstract...exactly what is a "mechanist", how many people feel strongly enough about boats AND keyboards, how many people juxtapose a guitar next to a trumpet? when you're coming up with new ideas, maybe try working backwards. Rather than looking for a theme and struggling to find enoguh things for it, try to think of things that have 10-13 different things associated with them, and go from there!
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 December 2016, 16:03:52 by Seelen »

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 18:58:45 »
(Attachment Link)

Wait, a rabbit in a science-themed novelty kit? How about some kind of computer chip instead or a spacesuit helmet?  :)

Edit: the Dasher monitor is also nice. I missed that in the comments.  :thumb:

Set 1 theme is about quantum and outer space,  I planned to add a rebbit because there is a rabbit in the moon :)
Maybe it's hard to understand, I just feel fun to do this, If it's not quiet suitable about this theme , I would give it up.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 19:46:53 »
Not really a fan of any of these designs. I feel like a lot of your novelties feel rather unbranded and generic because they have no ties to parts of culture or pop culture that people feel strongly about.

Generally I provide some sort of constructive criticism, but in this case, I honestly don't like any of the designs at all. I am still searching for novelties for the Dasher kit; however, that doesn't mean you should stretch and dilute the concept to the point where it's just a pile of vaguely related things (like the music set; good idea, but the execution of instruments next to a bunch of random speakers?).

They should feel natural and intuitive. These just don't. The biggest problem, I think, is that you are dead set on making the `1-9-= into a full set of novelties, when you clearly don't have 14 keys worth of good ideas. It comes back to the natural and intuitive.

I will agree that having a set of novelties across that top row looks amazing...but only when it feels natural, like zodiac signs, or whatever. Just ask yourself this: If you were to view each of those symbols separately, what would they make you think of? Would anybody feel a connection to them? If this is just about pure aesthetics, then why not just come right out and say that, and start looking at complimentary colors (MOREBLUE isn't always the answer on a blue and blue set)

The only thing I have to add to this really, is the same photo I shared in the other thread:

Show Image

I HIGHLY doubt more than a one or two people would even know what this shoe is, nor would they care if they did...that's not really the point though. Rather, look at the similarity in color with the Dasher set, and how nicely the tan goes together. Looking for out of the box complimentary colors is what makes a set stand out. In the case of this shoe, they go for 4x their retail value because people loved the colors so much. Quality over quantity...why not start experimenting more with color?

Also, your ideas are extremely abstract...exactly what is a "mechanist", how many people feel strongly enough about boats AND keyboards, how many people juxtapose a guitar next to a trumpet? when you're coming up with new ideas, maybe try working backwards. Rather than looking for a theme and struggling to find enoguh things for it, try to think of things that have 10-13 different things associated with them, and go from there!

Maybe we are not in the same latitude, thank you for your straightforward views, but for your personality I even don't know how to communicate with you.
I'm a photographer and retoucher, my friend MaMa is an illustrator and also good at photograph, we just try to express what we like.

Yes the graphics are abstract and maybe the 1~13 key formate is not quiet suitable, we can revise some for it.
This design is just a new try for me, if the IC gets bad feedbacks, we can stop this, but, until now I will continue to do something on it.

For Mechanist, I will insist on letting it happen someday,even if only a small scale group buy, maybe NOT for you.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 18:05:39 »
Hoq,

I appreciate you taking my comments so well. I know I was a little abrasive...I'm just trying to drive home some points that I honestly believe would lead to you making Better sets in the future. Like I always say, if you truly like it and it makes MOQ, then you should do EXACTLY what you want to do. There's no reason to compromise your vision if you believe in it and you have the numbers you need.

However, if you find that interest is not where it needs to be amd you need a few hundred people to buy your set just for it to exist, you relinquish some level of control, in that you have to make the set others want as well as yourself. If that ends up being the case, please keep in mind what I said. I know it wasn't the kindest way to phrase it ever, but I stand by what I said and feel that it was a very valid critique of your work. I know it's hard to put your work out there where thousands of people can see it and pick it apart, but you kind of sign up for that when you make a thread (at least, I would FULLY expect people to voice their every concern to me...I'd rather that, than have people not say anything and then the set doesn't get made)

You obviously have artistic talent...it's just a matter if marrying that to aesthetics and culture more precisely...but hey, what do I know...my only qualification when it comes to design is that I'm super gay ^_-

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. If you felt shut down or lost confidence in your abilities, that would be the opposite of what I intended and I don't want you to feel bad. The colorway of that bottom set is ****ing awesome, and I'd buy it in a heartbeat...but without those damn novelties.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 21:00:10 by Seelen »

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 23:18:59 »
Seelen,

Thank you for the advice , well, not so pleasant to the ear,but it makes sense.
We want to improve the design ,and repost some pics here, of cause after the vacation.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 08:20:00 »
We have added several novelties for R1 and R3, please refer to the pic below, and tell me how do you think about them.

After 2 sub sets added , finally we have got 5 sets, you can chose what you like to buy.
          Set #1.1             R1 14keys, (BO), Quantum and outer space theme,
          Set  #1.2            a R1 key (BO),   two R3 1.25u keys (BBJ), and tow R3 1u keys(BBJ)
          Set  #2.1            R1 14keys, (BBJ), Music theme,
          Set  #2.2            a R1 key (BBJ),   two R3 1.25u keys (BBJ), and tow R3 1u keys(BBJ)
          Set  #3               R1 14keys, (BFQ),  Ocean voyage theme

Now, we have some problems have to consider:
           1. I know R1 14 keys formate is not welcome for some users, especially Set #2 music theme is not very cool, but,I still believe someones need them,
               so, if you don't like them, just skip and chose what you want.
          2. some graphics are too thin, maybe they are not moldable for SP, according to SP's instruction, they said Minimum line sickness must e 0.012", but I still can not catch that.
               anyway,we must modify some graphics and simplify some lines,we need some time.
          3, Set #3, I love this color and the theme, but ,in fact the color BFQ has not applied in some SA keyset until now(as far as I know),
               If you chose this set , maybe it is hard to adapt on any SA keysets.
              So, Must I lanch this set this time or, If I develope the whole keyboard layout someday to match set#3, and run it later?

Offline Parva Ovis

Re: [IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (update)
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 10:42:09 »
I really like the new novelties! I'll be buying set 1.1 and set 1.2 for sure!

On the topic of set 2.1's music theme, I think it's a good concept that just needs to be tightened a bit. It does seem a bit odd that a "Music" themed novelty set includes a hat, but not even a treble clef or bass clef, which are a lot more iconic. Maybe consider using musical symbols if any of the other graphics are too complex for SP to make?
I do like the piano key and backspace a lot though, so hopefully those can be made. :)

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 22:57:16 »
I'd definitely be interested in picking up a set of 1.1 to go with my Dasher kit I ordered.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 02:39:17 »
Updated again.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
Re: [IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (update again)
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 21:04:08 »
I voted on massdrop. I'd be in for set 1.2. I'm not sure about the graph though, I'd rather see the R1 terminal icon repeated in R3 profile.

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 06:36:54 »
I voted on massdrop. I'd be in for set 1.2. I'm not sure about the graph though, I'd rather see the R1 terminal icon repeated in R3 profile.

Voted!  :thumb:

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 03 January 2017, 20:15:41 »
voted as well. I'd like to see 4 different keys for the R3 row if possible. Also, it seems like maybe the themes don't match too well.  If I got set 1.1 & 1.2 I'd have a bunch of space stuff along with a terminal, a graph, and some binary code. Weird combination. I would prefer to just take the terminal/computer them and ditch the space stuff.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 10:12:54 »
I simplfied the layout,  cut the the R1 music theme keys, and added a Dasher company logo to R1. So, finally only 3 sets left, you may chose those ones you like. I think this change could be more affortable for a lot of people :)
Still need your feedback and advices!

Offline bciamny

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:12:44 »
this is pretty cool! i love pretty much all the icons :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 12:31:10 »
Is there a kit with R3 blanks for ErgoDox users?

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 20:36:51 »
Is there a kit with R3 blanks for ErgoDox users?

Set 2,3 have some 1u keys, Are they can be used with ErgoDox keycaps?  :))

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: [IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (coming soon)
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 21:02:25 »
updated.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 22:04:16 »
I like these new kit options and the themes better than what was proposed before. I'd probably be in on all 3 of them.

Any idea on when this might turn into a GB and what the prices might be?

I imagine that if that is going to have any chance at reaching GB status that it would have to be run at the same time as the big dasher and dancer order. Have you been in contact with SP or are you planning on going through MD?

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 23:59:18 »
I have contacted to SP, and gotten the price.
I don't think they will be high, and I don't hope people are hesitant to buy these kits just because of the price rearon.

I'm contacting with another vendor, not go through MD.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 05:19:01 »
That planetary is sick! How about adding another color, red, that match Godspeed red, the theme has resemblance and it will gain more people and bring down the price as it shares the same moulding.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:58:38 »
Another vendor is probably the right way to go as massdrop is probably to slow for a GB this size.

Have you talked to zslane lately? Looks like he is planning another small GB of 1u blanks that would run the same time as dasher and dancer. Perhaps these kits could be offered in the same GB to maximize volumes?

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:32:43 »
That planetary is sick! How about adding another color, red, that match Godspeed red, the theme has resemblance and it will gain more people and bring down the price as it shares the same moulding.

How about this?  I have just an idea to add a kit for Godspeed color.  :p

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:40:45 »
Another vendor is probably the right way to go as massdrop is probably to slow for a GB this size.

Have you talked to zslane lately? Looks like he is planning another small GB of 1u blanks that would run the same time as dasher and dancer. Perhaps these kits could be offered in the same GB to maximize volumes?

Maybe his blanks key kit want to go through MD, but mine, I hope to sell with some other vendor.

I don't think this little GB will sell quite a lot, just to fulfill a little part of people.
but the good news is,  after I got the price from SP,   the price seems not very high than I thought.  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:43:58 by hoq »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 11:35:38 »

Show Image

Damn cool! Are you sure just providing 9 R1? I'm thinking people who are into this kind of novelties will gonna put them all they way on the top row which means from ~ to + even | if use HHKB layout (15 keys). Other kit that use this approach is Carbon both on the SA and GMK. And if we look at carbon again, although there's gray color version, people tend to use the orange version of it which means I suggest all red for Godspeed ver. I imagine red top row, blue mod, and a bit yellow on enter will be very refreshing. Or we could go all yellow too  :thumb:

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:20:07 »

Maybe his blanks key kit want to go through MD, but mine, I hope to sell with some other vendor.

I don't think this little GB will sell quite a lot, just to fulfill a little part of people.
but the good news is,  after I got the price from SP,   the price seems not very high than I thought.  :p

Pretty sure he isn't going to go through massdrop. That is why I suggested contacting him to see how he plans to run his small GB. Since they will both be small GBs it would make sense to run them together at the same vendor.

Offline zslane

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 12:38:27 »
My Dasher/Dancer BLANKS group buy will be very simple. I intend to buy a bunch of kits and then re-sell them myself. Since they don't involve new legend plates (or any legends at all), I can slip their production in with Dasher/Dancer. This is more easily facilitated by the fact that SP is already working with me as the designer of Dasher/Dancer, and the fact that I have healthy working history with them. Unfortunately, an extensive array of novelty keycaps would not fit into this process.

I fully encourage hoq's efforts here, but he's on his own in terms of setting up production with SP.

Offline Kalopsia

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 13:05:43 »
Voted for all 3. Cant wait :D

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 13:14:27 »
My Dasher/Dancer BLANKS group buy will be very simple. I intend to buy a bunch of kits and then re-sell them myself. Since they don't involve new legend plates (or any legends at all), I can slip their production in with Dasher/Dancer. This is more easily facilitated by the fact that SP is already working with me as the designer of Dasher/Dancer, and the fact that I have healthy working history with them. Unfortunately, an extensive array of novelty keycaps would not fit into this process.

I fully encourage hoq's efforts here, but he's on his own in terms of setting up production with SP.

Sounds good. I'll definitely be getting some blanks from you when that GB starts. Guess this set will be on my "future purchases" list whenever it hits GB status. What you're saying makes sense though, I didn't really consider that all of the legends need to be made so that would probably screw up the timeline of running it together with your sets. Too many logistics to get worked out and setup in too short of a time frame.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 18:13:24 »

Show Image

Count me in, those are what is dream on.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 01:39:22 »

Show Image

Damn cool! Are you sure just providing 9 R1? I'm thinking people who are into this kind of novelties will gonna put them all they way on the top row which means from ~ to + even | if use HHKB layout (15 keys). Other kit that use this approach is Carbon both on the SA and GMK. And if we look at carbon again, although there's gray color version, people tend to use the orange version of it which means I suggest all red for Godspeed ver. I imagine red top row, blue mod, and a bit yellow on enter will be very refreshing. Or we could go all yellow too  :thumb:

Oh,your advice reminds me that my original intention is to make a R1 row novelties. put them in ~ to =, totally 13 keys.
so, they must be the same color, I think I need to modify them back to the uniformed color again.

And, about all red R1 raw, the main alphas and adapter zones of Godspeed are creamy white and blue.
they have already gotten 4 red novelties, I think, the red color novelty is just a decoration, If you put red keys in R1 raw with 13 keys or 15keys, maybe they will destroy the balance.
I prefer blue(BFJ with WBO legend) novelties more.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:38:40 »
Maybe I just don't like the "caged" visual if you use R1 with the same color as the mods. Just to be clear this is the carbon novelties I mean:

163667-0

Notice that they're diffent color with alpha and mods, but yes the orange is used as mods legend so maybe that's why it is still looks good. IMHO red stripe on Godspeed is still good but maybe yellow is better then? So it's not overly striking as red.

Just to give some very rough idea of how they're looked like

163669-1

Blue

163671-2

Yellow

163673-3

Offline t8c

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 10:29:26 »
Voted. The PC terminal legend is unbelievable cool!

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 11:23:43 »
Maybe I just don't like the "caged" visual if you use R1 with the same color as the mods. Just to be clear this is the carbon novelties I mean:

(Attachment Link)

Notice that they're diffent color with alpha and mods, but yes the orange is used as mods legend so maybe that's why it is still looks good. IMHO red stripe on Godspeed is still good but maybe yellow is better then? So it's not overly striking as red.

Just to give some very rough idea of how they're looked like

(Attachment Link)

Blue

(Attachment Link)

Yellow

(Attachment Link)

OK, I understood, the RA(WBO) keys are more eye-catching,and they seems also can be used in Dasher and Dancer if someone like.
I'll also make a 3D mockup to show how they look like on a Godspeed keyboard.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 12:10:25 »
RA(WBO) keys in Godspeed.

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: [IC]SA Blue Addon Novelties (GB is alive)
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:36:41 »