Author Topic: What profile do you use and what types of games do you play?  (Read 5849 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
What profile do you use and what types of games do you play?
« on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 10:28:48 »
I am just wondering about what keycap profiles people use to play different games. As for me I usually play FPS and I use DSA. Although I might change that to DCS or OEM soon since its easier to feel for keys by the sculptured profile.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
Re: What profile do you use and what types of games do you play?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:18:15 »
I play all sorts of games, but I am currently on a FPS kick with CSGO. I use/prefer DCS over DSA for pretty much everything other than compatibility for custom layouts. The sculpted design's physical shape changes is essential for me to get my bearings right on a keyboard. I have the Granite DSA set on my keyboard at work and its a struggle sometimes just because they keys feel odd to me to type on. I've been considering swapping it out for the next GMK group buy that has a colorway I'm interested in.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:18:58 »
I've been playing Diablo 3 on my 6019284 lately.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:22:32 »
I've been using a Kingsaver with old Wang dyesubs for most everything lately. They're probably close to OEM profile. I've been playing Planetary Annihilation and Crypt of the NecroDancer but I need to figure out a gamepad for the latter. I also played hella StarCraft 2 on an SA profile board with Cherry MX greens. Burliest. Fingers.

I need to get keyboards back into rotation but this thing is just too perfect to shelve.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:19:03 »
I've been using a Kingsaver with old Wang dyesubs for most everything lately. They're probably close to OEM profile. I've been playing Planetary Annihilation and Crypt of the NecroDancer but I need to figure out a gamepad for the latter. I also played hella StarCraft 2 on an SA profile board with Cherry MX greens. Burliest. Fingers.

I need to get keyboards back into rotation but this thing is just too perfect to shelve.
Haha I can't imagine the tall profile with greens? Especially with all the macro mashing..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:57:41 »
Play some casual online puzzles and such.

I prefer DCS, Cherry, or OEM profiles. Need them to know where my hands are without constantly looking at the keyboard.

I tried DSA, and it was too flat without any topography whatsoever. Might as well be typing on a laptop.

I tried SA, and it's too extremely sculpted IMHO. Some have wondered if it was meant for angled switches. I don't know. But it feels really wrong to me on an MX board. Also, because the top row is sooo tall it looks rather silly on smaller boards.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Cheesebaron

• blog
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:01:11 »
I play a lot of FPS games such as older CoD games, Heroes and Generals an Red Orchestra, I've been doing most of that on my poker II with MX Blues. I have the granite set. However, I as aicrono have a hard time to find my way around during the keyboard with that profile. Also they seem to strain my hands a bit more than the DCS profile the OEM keys and the Miami set I use on it.

Recently acquired a Model M, will try that soon, I suspect it being just fine.  Typing is great on it so I suspect gaming will be as well.

I had a Filco Zero with white ALPS clones once and gamed on that fine as well.

MX Blacks are not for me though, I don't like the feel of them.

MINILA       Poker II       Model M
MX Blue      MX Blue       SSK '88

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 13:34:50 »
I think that DCS is a little ugly, just so flat and round. Cherry look nice, as well as OEM to me. I use Topre so there isn't much choice, and all I play is League.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 14:06:55 »
I play FPS, MOBA, and MMO. I only use Cherry profile keycaps, but I do have a set of Granite R2 DSA keycaps incoming for my also incoming JD40.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 16:53:39 »
For FPS, I tend to prefer DSA.  For everything else, it's Cherry profile.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 17:59:51 »
Cherry profile, anything and everything.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 18:08:10 »
For FPS, I tend to prefer DSA.  For everything else, it's Cherry profile.

Really? Wow. I myself find it harder to reset finger placement without the sculptured keys. DSA is probably my favorite though for just straight typing though.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 18:15:43 »
Cherry profile, anything and everything.
all day ery day
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 18:18:05 »
Really? Wow. I myself find it harder to reset finger placement without the sculptured keys. DSA is probably my favorite though for just straight typing though.

Yeah, I'm weird.  I'm not sure why I prefer DSA for FPS but I just do.  It feels a lot more comfortable but then I hate it for MMO's and RTS. :confused:

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 23:40:42 »
I use cherry profile no matter what types of games

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 23:53:05 »
I game with an Orbweaver (stock caps) and a Naga Epic in wired mode.  After I get my GH36 from the beta round I am going to cut the frame apart and put some DSA caps on that.  It has reds on WASD and clears everywhere else.

That being said my current fav switch/cap combo is lubed linear stems with clear springs and PBT DSA caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 00:01:39 »
I play FPS mostly, with a bit of RPG when I get the chance (which is not very often).

In a keyboard I don't look for much, except reasonably stiff switches.

My keyboards end up being used for mostly typing, anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 03:27:50 »
Dota2 with DCS. although im used to it already, i think DSA would still be better so i'm just waiting for my Granite set to try it out.
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 03:44:40 »
I hated gaming on SA profile. But then again, I just hated doing anything with SA. Just picked up a GMK set to see how that feels. But until it gets here, I'll be on my HHKB or RF 55g.

For the most part, I play CS:GO. All the other games I play are less dependent on keyboard controls.
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 04:11:20 »
Cherry profile for gaming, SA for typing. I love the old skool typewriter style.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Bonheim

• Robin, pass me the shark repelant bat spray!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 04:33:33 »
I play a lot of FPS games such as older CoD games, Heroes and Generals an Red Orchestra, I've been doing most of that on my poker II with MX Blues. I have the granite set. However, I as aicrono have a hard time to find my way around during the keyboard with that profile. Also they seem to strain my hands a bit more than the DCS profile the OEM keys and the Miami set I use on it.

Recently acquired a Model M, will try that soon, I suspect it being just fine.  Typing is great on it so I suspect gaming will be as well.

I had a Filco Zero with white ALPS clones once and gamed on that fine as well.

MX Blacks are not for me though, I don't like the feel of them.

Cheesebaron, when you say older COD's do you mean COD:UO?
My Board: Ducky Zero Shine DK2108S MX Red LED Blue.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:08:00 »
FPS' w/ PBT DSA on the home keys (ASD) and PBT G20 eSports caps around them (on half an ErgoDox.)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:55:42 »
FPS' w/ PBT DSA on the home keys (ASD) and PBT G20 eSports caps around them (on half an ErgoDox.)

Dang that is quite a set up for gaming.  How was the transition from a regular keyboard? How is the comfort for longer gaming sessions?

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:35:42 »
Transition was straight forward, less than a couple minutes to get used to it. Esp. since I was using a G13 before I built this thing :) Very comfortable to use, never had a problem w/ strain or pain after longer sessions so far.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 05:14:12 »
Cherry POM keycaps all the way. Two reasons for it: (1) they have scooped FJ instead of having nibs there (I hate nibs); (2) POM is the smoothest around and works the best with sweaty fingertips… oh, and thick keycaps don't irritate the hell out of me. If there were POM SA keycaps, I'd totally use them (spherical is better at preventing off-center presses).

I play AoE2 and random indie games.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:46:55 »
One of the reasons I enjoy the keycaps I do (SA/DSA or Wang caps) is deep dish or scooped homing keys. I only have one Cherry profile set and it's on a linear board, which I don't care to game on. But I expect those scoops would feel nice to play on as well.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 15:55:57 »
One of the reasons I enjoy the keycaps I do (SA/DSA or Wang caps) is deep dish or scooped homing keys. I only have one Cherry profile set and it's on a linear board, which I don't care to game on. But I expect those scoops would feel nice to play on as well.

bleh

I hate scoops, but all my GMK sets are scoops and not nubbins

so conflicted
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:03:10 »
DSA on reds. I mostly play FPS.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:15:33 »
Whatever I have plugged in that day, so either cherry, DCS, or SA (model M).  I am horrible at most games that are dependent on quality keyboard control so it doesn't much matter what I am using.   For SC2 and Diablo 3, I much prefer the Model M. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 20:19:13 »
DSA on reds. I mostly play FPS.

Do you ever have problems trying to home back into the wasd keys? That's been my only problem with DSA and fps