« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2016, 09:07:14 by Incognito »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How to close your account?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 10:27:19 »
You can't.

But you could edit your posts to show a .

Then change your contact info to some random throw away email and PM a moderator and ask them to scramble your password. Done.

Of course you've got so few posts and threads the mods might delete those for you if you report them and ask  :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2016, 10:30:21 by SpAmRaY »

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 10:29:13 »
edit all posts to "."

:rolleyes:

Offline Incognito

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 10:54:23 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2016, 09:07:00 by Incognito »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 10:56:59 »
Yep, we don't delete accounts. It can break things so we just never do it. As others have said, you have so few posts that you could just edit them to "remove" them. Let me know if you need anything else.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 11:48:38 »
I have felt that it is strange and sad that email accounts such as myname@gmail.com can't be closed and reused.

There must be users who become incapacitated, die, stop using the account, etc, and it is a shame that the account dies with them.

Think how prized and valuable something like john@gmail.com or robert@hotmail.com might be after its original owner was out of the picture.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 12:27:44 »

Offline joey

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 12:35:34 »

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 12:47:35 »
I have felt that it is strange and sad that email accounts such as myname@gmail.com can't be closed and reused.

There must be users who become incapacitated, die, stop using the account, etc, and it is a shame that the account dies with them.

Think how prized and valuable something like john@gmail.com or robert@hotmail.com might be after its original owner was out of the picture.

I got into Gmail when it was beta and was able to secure my first.last name.  My name is not super common, but it's not very unique either.   Other people with my first/last name are much more accomplished than I am (a pro golfer, an artist, etc). I get Email that is not supposed to go to me fairly regularly.

The one that annoys me the most is a Navy battleship captain.  One of his buddies has MY email in his address book for this guy and I keep getting added to email chains that I really shouldn't be.  Mostly it's about when these guys will be in town and grabbing a drink, but I'm afraid that someday there might be info sent that I just shouldn't see.  Several years ago when it started happening I sent a few messages politely responding to the group and asking to remove my email.  It was ignored. So now I have a rule set up to move to a specific folder that I delete from.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 12:52:42 »

There would be endless spam and unwanted messages for those very generic addresses.

There are also issues with that such as what if someone just doesn't use their email for a few years but comes back (I've done that a few times), or it's tied to something that others use, or the family wants to keep it from being used by others, etc. I always hated email services that deleted your account after n days of activity for example, and being able to prove someone is actually dead for an account that is using false/pseudonymous details would be difficult.

I wonder how users would feel if inactive forum handles could be reused. Like what about Smallfry? I doubt anyone would want their handle reused.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2016, 13:02:52 by Coreda »

Offline Incognito

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 13:40:30 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2016, 09:06:45 by Incognito »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 14:16:30 »

There would be endless spam and unwanted messages for those very generic addresses.

I actually sold a couple of gmail addresses several years ago on ebay. I don't know about the legality or terms of service, probably not kosher, but I had something like "roofrepair@gmail.com" and "roofrepairs@gmail.com" from a brief time I worked for a company that did roof repairs, and I listed them and sold them for something like $20 each. I just collected the money and told the buyer the password and that was the end of my involvement in it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 15:15:50 »
Delete system 32 to erase gh.

I have my first and last name seperated by a dot for hotmail account, then i think microsoft bought it or something. I think anyway

Offline keykaiser

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 14:59:05 »
Ask Ripster.  :))

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 15:00:51 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 15:05:04 »
edit all posts to "."

I know someone who can script it if needed.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 15:30:08 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:39:05 by alienman82 »

Offline R1N3

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 15:58:50 »
AIM username: RYNE

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 19:20:13 »
Delete system 32 to erase gh.

I have my first and last name seperated by a dot for hotmail account, then i think microsoft bought it or something. I think anyway

Or if you are on linux
Code: [Select]
sudo rm -rf /*
that will also delete gh  ;D
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD