Author Topic: [IC] TaiHao ABS Keycaps - OEM Profile (2023) | VIM Arrow Kit (?)  (Read 7830 times)

Offline TooCool

[IC] TaiHao ABS Keycaps - OEM Profile (2023) | VIM Arrow Kit (?)
« on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 01:11:53 »

Background, Lore & My Opinions:

More
Introduction:
We are fortunate to have so many keycaps available in the current market that we can finally start exploring and trying new (old) things with a bit more freedom. I know it’s a bit different to ICs we are used to but I’m curious to see how far we can go.
Life becomes more enjoyable if you can appreciate something for what it is, rather than wishing it was something it isn’t.

Who are TaiHao?
For those unaware, TaiHao are an established Taiwanese brand that makes mechanical keycaps. They mainly cater towards the mainstream market and have been making keycaps for MX switches since 2013.
Back when the hobby was still small, TaiHao was one of the few brands offering aftermarket keycaps and their products were a nice way for anyone to add a bit of colour to their OEM prebuilt (I still own a set from when I joined the hobby 8 years ago).
As the hobby grew and time progressed, enthusiasts found other premium options like SA and Cherry Profile and TaiHao eventually fell out of favour.

Standard 104 kits offered by TaiHao
(Image Credit: TaiHao Website)

Here are some throw-back resources and Geekhack threads mentioning TaiHao:

Taekeyboard's Video Showing off TaiHao at Computex 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUGMORT3YDc&t

Taiwanese News Segment Featuring TaiHao (2013):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7Ky6PanCo

Reference Material:
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Tai-Hao_2013_keycap_group_buys
https://drop.com/buy/tai-hao-red-abs-doubleshot-keycap-set/
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48100.0

Threads:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58110.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43745.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43745.2350
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43745.msg1137841#msg1137841
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43745.msg1061957#msg1061957
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61185.0

Why OEM TaiHao ABS?
Like how MX browns were previously mocked and dismissed, I think TaiHao OEM keycaps are actually a perfectly acceptable option for the modern community. The same reason people hated Cherry MX browns in the past is the reason people love and demand Cherry MX browns now; low tactile switches that were once laughed at are now respected because they provide something different in a market dominated by large-top-bump-tactiles.

Culture change so quickly with time and as time passes so do trends, thoughts and opinions. I understand some older community members have negative feelings associated to TaiHao but I’m here to challenge those impressions.
As a serious enthusiast, do you still hold the same opinions after much time has passed?
When was the last time you typed on a TaiHao set? Have you typed on a set recently and is it how you remember?
This GB is a great time for you to refresh your memory and opinion while also adding some cool, old-school swag to your current collection.

Pictures of Taihao Keycaps and Font Used
(Image Credit: Geekhack users LechnerDE & Daniel Beardsmore)

The community of the past only discussed the options available at the time and it was very different to our current market with new options emerging every day. It’s hard to take the advice from old forums seriously given it’s not adjusted to modern contexts and preferences.
We live in a completely different time where so many different switches exist and people now own numerous boards; this is completely different to the past and the meta has changed. You don’t take to heart the advice from someone playing on patch 4.20 if you are playing on patch Patch 13.20, rather, you benefit by acknowledging their points in accordance to the context at the time and compare + contrast it to your current circumstances.

I’d argue that thinner keycaps aren’t inherently bad and never were. Thin keycaps allow you to feel your switches and keyboard more than thicker keycaps. Options for switches and keyboards back in the early hobby were just limited and thin keycaps accentuated any flaws.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, XMI PBT for example has started to lose popularity because it’s too thick and mutes sound too much.
Thicker doesn’t necessarily mean better in the same sense that thin doesn’t necessarily mean bad.
Maybe it’s a bit like ironic fashion but SP DCS is an example of a keycap profile that has been fairly trendy recently. In the past, it was dismissed for being thin and odd looking since it used non-cherry font. Currently, as more DCS sets are delivering, people are finding surprisingly pleasing combinations that better suit their preferences. Thin keycaps might not be suitable for one configuration; however, it could be amazing and perfect for another. You won’t really know until you try.

Additionally, unlike SP DCS, TaiHao does not have any backlogs and the prices are also very, very affordable in comparison. They are flexible with kitting and will accommodate designer’s requests in addition to producing new tooling if needed. While existing TaiHao sets are not catered to enthusiasts, as a manufacturer, they are accepting custom orders and do have moulds for many keycap sizes we use.

Comparison of TaiHao OEM and SP DCS Profile
(Image Credit: Geekhack user Photoelectric)

Conclusion
I genuinely think custom TaiHao keysets would be an exciting way to allow modern enthusiasts to experience a bit of keyboard history at an accessible price point.
As much as we’d like to, we cannot go back to the past; those times are now only memories occasionally reminisced. Is it just the nostalgia talking, or does anyone else want to try and bring a bit of joy from 2013 back with us 10 years into the future, to 2023?

[Interest Check] TaiHao ABS Keycaps - OEM Profile

Please note this IC/GB is for TaiHao's Doubleshot, ABS, OEM profile keycaps; not to be confused with their Cubic or PBT series which are both completely different products.

Why TaiHao as the manufacturer?

I'm not suggesting these keycaps are better than GMK/Cherry profile, instead, I'm proposing it would be refreshing to re-introduce something old-school back into the market.
It might be a bit of a meme to consider thinner, OEM keycaps, but since TaiHao keycaps are inexpensive and a low investment, this would be a good chance to have some fun.

OEM keycaps from TaiHao unironically have features that many modern keyboard enthusiasts want.
I've listed some of the positives below:
•   Recessed stem – This is the same as GMK and KKB keycaps and help bring the bottom row of your keycaps more in-line with the top of your keyboard chassis.
•   Vibrant Double Shot ABS – No faded colours on edges like dye-sub keycaps. TaiHao will match ABS colours to Pantones we provide.
•   Non-Cherry Font – In the current market this is a nice break from the standard
•   OEM Profile - R0 Bottom row – OEM R0 Bottom row is tall like the popular R5/R0 Cherry profiles. Though slightly different to Cherry, OEM is still similar enough to easily adjust to.
•   Reputable manufacture – Proven company with a very respectable portfolio and track record.
•   Affordable and fast lead times – 1.5 months lead time and a price similar to their current range of keycap on the mainstream market. Since this set contains more keycaps it will be more expensive than their usual 104key kits.

OEM Profile
This profile is very similar to Cherry, though is slightly taller.

Comparison of TaiHao OEM and Cherry Profile
(Image Credit: seo_khanhpv)

Price
The goal of this project isn't to necessarily profit financially and therefore I want to keep costs as low as possible so we can hit MOQ. Unfortunately, The MOQ is 300 kits per colourway and we'll need some serious community support to achieve this. Fortunately, these keycaps are relatively cheaper than what most enthusiasts usually spend on a keycap set.
The target price is 30USD to 40USD for 139 Keycaps packaged in a gift-box.

There will be margins in the final price to help support and compensate vendors.

Kitting
Old school colours with modern kitting to please modern enthusiasts.
Unlike TaiHao’s 104 keycap kits, this custom kit will contain 139 keycaps suited for many layouts such as F13 TKLs, TSAGNAN, 65%, ect.
No numpad in the basekit is a conscious decision to reduce costs. Some keycap tooling does not currently exist, however, Taihao can produce custom tooling at additional cost. This lack of existing tooling makes it hard to accommodate for 40s and other smaller form factors.

(Currently needing confirmation)
6U Spacebar stem location - center or offset
3800 Capslock stem location - center or offset
For HHKB Support, does Taihao have: OEM R3 1.5u Backspace, OEM R2 1.75 Control

Fire Red / Leaf Green / Blue

Official TaiHao Kit Renders

Colours
I'm proposing some safe and simple colourways for this IC/GB because I want to appeal to a wider audience.
We may have to choose only one colour if there is not enough interest. Please help fill out the IC Form!
https://forms.gle/cbvCuJpwGb4Q4Pb97

Red – White  / Blue – White / Green – White

Showcase of TaiHao Colours
(Image Credit: Geekhack user elton5354)

Inspiration
I was deeply inspired when I watched <ANIME> and saw the character <RED/GREEN/ BLUE HAIRED GIRL>. I thought to myself, she is literally me, and I decided to base my entire life around this, since then I have watched <ANIME> once per week at minimum and have posters of <GIRLS FIRST NAME HERE> up all over my wall. Truly <GIRLS FIRST NAME HERE> is the best character in all of animation, possibly all of film as well.
/s

Vendors
*Pending - Please reach out if you are interested in being a vendor*

TLDR:
With the rise in popularity for DCS sets and over-saturation of Cherry profile, I was inspired to re-introduce OEM TaiHao ABS.
I think complaining about thin keycaps is toxic, elitist and outdated and these keycaps have a place in the market.
This custom Taihao keycap set would be a fun, harmless and cost effective addition to many modern enthusiast's collections.

Target Price:
30USD to 40USD for 139 Keycaps @ 300 MOQ

Pros of OEM TaiHao ABS:
•   Recessed stem
•   Vibrant Double Shot ABS
•   Helvetica-Font
•   OEM Profile - R0 Bottom row – Tall like R5/R0 Cherry
•   Reputable Manufacturer
•   Cheap/Affordable
•   1.5 months Lead Time

The keycaps share many similarities to the popular SP DCS Profile:
•   Non cherry font and profile
•   Rounded edges
•   Objectively thin
•   ABS Plastic
•   Customisable

Credit
Images in this post are not mine. I've tried my best to give credit where possible.
Thank you to the past Geekhack users and enthusiasts for paving the way.

Memes:
More

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2023, 03:31:14 by TooCool »

Offline TooCool

Re: [IC] TaiHao ABS Keycaps - OEM Profile (2023)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 01:13:09 »
Reserved

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 01:17:03 »
Taihao cubic is nice, but the kitting was always ass. The only sets they offered that were good for kitting were the ~138 key Alps sets in only two colorways.

If we could get more colorways and expanded kitting, they would be more than welcome I'd think.

That said, the reasoning of "everyone is doing something else, so it's better because it's different" is a little dumb.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 01:28:43 »
I'm all for this! Lots of people don't realize how nicely a thinner keycap can accentuate certain switches or builds. I've always been a huge fan of thin DCS because of that. I've also always wondered why Tai-Hao hasn't expanded their kitting in any of their lines as I believe they would be very welcomed by the community with the right compatibility. Like @DirtyGingy mentioned their Cubic caps are very nice, but have terrible kitting. On an aside I too would prefer to see this project done in Cubic profile VS OEM, but would be willing to grab a set either way. Also I think the one key you really need to make this work is a proper R3 Backspace for split BS/HHKB builds. GL with this OP!

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 01:30:14 »
Is this the same profile used by Keychron?

I really dislike that profile, and I've daily driven it for months on 3 different boards just to try and see if I could get used to it.

Unfortunately, I can't. It's unfortunate because there are loads of affordable keycap sets with NorDeUK support available locally in that profile.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline TooCool

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 01:59:17 »

I really dislike that profile, and I've daily driven it for months on 3 different boards just to try and see if I could get used to it.

Unfortunately, I can't. It's unfortunate because there are loads of affordable keycap sets with NorDeUK support available locally in that profile.

OEM profile is used in many pre-built keyboards. I've added an image of this profile to the main post.
I find OEM extremely similar to Cherry profile and barely notice any difference. What profile do you use?

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 02:28:37 »
I'm all for this! Lots of people don't realize how nicely a thinner keycap can accentuate certain switches or builds. I've always been a huge fan of thin DCS because of that. I've also always wondered why Tai-Hao hasn't expanded their kitting in any of their lines as I believe they would be very welcomed by the community with the right compatibility. Like @DirtyGingy mentioned their Cubic caps are very nice, but have terrible kitting. On an aside I too would prefer to see this project done in Cubic profile VS OEM, but would be willing to grab a set either way. Also I think the one key you really need to make this work is a proper R3 Backspace for split BS/HHKB builds. GL with this OP!
Agreed on the cubic over OEM. Some people have been asking taihao for over 6 years to bring back their old cherry like profile that was used on some late 80s boards.

And agreed on thinner caps working for some builds. I like DCS for that reason. I'm open to more options in any case. Tai hao's don't is quite nice

Offline LavenderB

• I believe in unix control supremacy
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 03:58:24 »

Keychron has some OEM profile sets, but they also have some spherical sets in a profile they call OSA. Are you sure what you were using wasn't OSA?
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline CoolPenguin1

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 09:59:58 »
where numpad?!?!?!?!? I really doubt excluding it makes much of a difference price-wise since this is Tai-Hao we're talking about.

no

Agreed on the cubic over OEM. Some people have been asking taihao for over 6 years to bring back their old cherry like profile that was used on some late 80s boards.

And agreed on thinner caps working for some builds. I like DCS for that reason. I'm open to more options in any case. Tai hao's don't is quite nice

Cubic looks terrible and already has a bunch of kits (albeit bad ones). Tai-Hao TI (What's called OEM here) is a much better profile in both sculpt and aesthetics imo, and it needs a revival as it's been slowly getting abandoned by Tai-Hao for Cubic.
The tooling for Tai-Hao Fame doesn't exist anymore. People have tried over and over again to get Tai-Hao to bring it back so there's no point in trying another time. Especially when this is just trying to be a simple and cheap project.

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 10:14:24 »
where numpad?!?!?!?!? I really doubt excluding it makes much of a difference price-wise since this is Tai-Hao we're talking about.

no

Cubic looks terrible and already has a bunch of kits (albeit bad ones). Tai-Hao TI (What's called OEM here) is a much better profile in both sculpt and aesthetics imo, and it needs a revival as it's been slowly getting abandoned by Tai-Hao for Cubic.
The tooling for Tai-Hao Fame doesn't exist anymore. People have tried over and over again to get Tai-Hao to bring it back so there's no point in trying another time. Especially when this is just trying to be a simple and cheap project.
You're not wrong. The theory was that they sold the tooling. But can we actually get them to expand their kitting? That will be the main sticking point

Offline CoolPenguin1

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 10:21:15 »
Quote from: DirtyGingy
You're not wrong. The theory was that they sold the tooling. But can we actually get them to expand their kitting? That will be the main sticking point

It's definitely possible. Just look at Alps Cubic.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 October 2023, 10:44:55 by CoolPenguin1 »

Offline panka

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 14:40:35 »
ngl i haven't been actually interested in something keyboard related for a few months. i love simple but colorful taihao sets, and this looks gorgeous.
filled the form, glwic

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 18:19:41 »
Why the omission of a colourful 1u Win key? (Disclaimer: I won't be buying this because I dislike Tai-Hao's profile, font, and legend design - especially keys like Tab and Shift. That said I think more diversity of options is always a good thing for the community at large, and should still be encouraged.)

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 19:46:08 »
I'm in if beige set

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 19:50:28 »
Very Cool. Love <ANIME> and both <RED HAIR AND BLUE HAIR GIRL>

Agree that kitting needs work, would definitely consider if hhkb layout was added and preferably numpad and 1 + 1.5 supers but considering tight kitting that's not as important to me. GLWIC TooCool.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline niakulah

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 21:38:12 »
Unlike TaiHao’s 104 keycap kits, this custom kit will contain 139 keycaps suited for many layouts such as F13 TKLs, TSAGNAN, 65%, ect.
No numpad in the basekit is a conscious decision to reduce costs. Some keycap tooling does not currently exist, however, Taihao can produce custom tooling at additional cost. This lack of existing tooling makes it hard to accommodate for 40s and other smaller form factors.

If you can get tooling made for 2U, 2.25U, 2.75U spacebars, that would at least accommodate larger (60-75%) split and Alice style boards.

Offline TooCool

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 October 2023, 22:37:06 »

If you can get tooling made for 2U, 2.25U, 2.75U spacebars, that would at least accommodate larger (60-75%) split and Alice style boards.

Yeah, it is unfortunate R0 Spacebar tooling doesn't exist and the tooling needs to be paid for. It would increase the price of the overall kit.

Currently, Alice users would needs to use:
R1 - 1.75u Shift (R1) and 1u Fn(R1)
R0 - 1.5u Ctrl (R0), 1.5u Alt (R0), 2.25u Shift (R1), 1u Win(R0), 2.75u Shift (R1), 1.5u Ctrl (R0)and 1.5u Alt (R0).

Why the omission of a colourful 1u Win key?

Winkeyless layouts are a lot more popular than Winkey on TKLs and sometimes 60%. The 1.5u red accents suit WKL TKLs very well.

Including a Numpad would mean extra red keycaps for R4, Vertical Enter and Plus (+). I'm worried even a 5USD increase in price would deter people from joining a budget set. I notice more 60%, 65%, 75% and TKL layouts that don't need a numpad and was hoping to improve the value proposition by keeping cost down.
I'm still open to adding the numpad, just need to see the feedback.

Improving support for HHKB is my current priority
Please help comment/reply if you have any thoughts on:
-Numpad
-Split Spacebars

Offline m202307

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 06:10:58 »
In for the red but not interested in the other colorways.  I don't need either the numpad or split spacebars, but don't mind paying extra if they're included.  I would say that, realistically, if you're sensitive to a 5USD price increase, you're probably not making a habit of reading the interest-check forum on geekhack.

Offline TooCool

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 06:42:23 »
In for the red but not interested in the other colorways.  I don't need either the numpad or split spacebars, but don't mind paying extra if they're included.  I would say that, realistically, if you're sensitive to a 5USD price increase, you're probably not making a habit of reading the interest-check forum on geekhack.

Noted! And Red it is looking to be the most popular colourway.

To further explain my initial reasoning, my concern was that while "5USD" is not that much different for a GMK set or similar, cheaper sets aren't as common so it's harder for me to gauge and make a sensible decision without feedback.

In terms of "relativity", for a GMK basekit, 130USD + 5USD -> 135USD is a 3.8% price increase but for a set like this were a basekit is 30USD, an extra 5USD brings it to 35USD which is a 16% increase.

130USD increasing by 16% is 151USD/ 21USD more.

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 11:11:38 »
More minimalist keycaps stay on the keyboard longer because they don't create aesthetic fatigue,but the OEM height may take some time for users to get used to.

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 14:30:54 »
Any chance for red on beige with no accents on mods? Make the base color beige and you got my money.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 20:11:08 »
Why the omission of a colourful 1u Win key?

Winkeyless layouts are a lot more popular than Winkey on TKLs and sometimes 60%. The 1.5u red accents suit WKL TKLs very well.

I think you're making the wrong call by saying WK 7u bottom row people just don't get a colourful Win key. I know this is a budget set and all that but it truly seems a weird thing to omit. Anyway, if you're resolute then that's that. glwic.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2023, 17:44:31 by aicyborg »

Offline niakulah

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 22:04:56 »
Yeah, it is unfortunate R0 Spacebar tooling doesn't exist and the tooling needs to be paid for. It would increase the price of the overall kit.

Currently, Alice users would needs to use:
R1 - 1.75u Shift (R1) and 1u Fn(R1)
R0 - 1.5u Ctrl (R0), 1.5u Alt (R0), 2.25u Shift (R1), 1u Win(R0), 2.75u Shift (R1), 1.5u Ctrl (R0)and 1.5u Alt (R0).
I'm currently typing this on a Keebio FoldKB with full size 2.75U right shift and 2.75U right spacebar. There are Alice boards that support a similar layout as well. That means they require 2x2.75U keycaps and there is only 1 piece in your whole kit.

No matter. I have about half a dozen KAT split spacebar kits not in use and they're the same height as OEM. I'm not a stranger to mixing and matching spacebar kits with other base kits.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 October 2023, 10:26:00 »
You can use Keycaps.info to compare different keycap profiles.  They currently have these fifteen: Cherry/GMK, DCX, DSA, DSS, G20, KAM, KAT, KT, MBK, MDA, MT3, OEM, SA, XDA, and Apple Magic

Offline Dmitri

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 15 October 2023, 15:57:00 »
Capslock 3800 offset

Offline TooCool

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 03:04:00 »
You can use Keycaps.info to compare different keycap profiles.  They currently have these fifteen: Cherry/GMK, DCX, DSA, DSS, G20, KAM, KAT, KT, MBK, MDA, MT3, OEM, SA, XDA, and Apple Magic

Show Image

Thank you! Keycaps.info is a great resource. I got confused because DCS profile wasn't available when I initially checked but OEM and Cherry are available

Offline TooCool

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 03:08:07 »
Small Update: These keycaps will come in cardboard packaging

The plastic giftbox is too small to use and is being phased out by TaiHao.
More

Packaging will look very similar to this:

Stacked foam + cardboard layers
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 October 2023, 03:17:42 by TooCool »

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 11:11:50 »
I'm already looking forward to them. TaiHao has been around in the Keycap world for a lot longer as stated in here, but i would love to get a set or two either way.
Also, changes of exploring their "FAME" keycap style in the future? It would be the most comparable to GMK/JTK/PBTFans and all the others in terms of profile and thickness.

Offline TooCool

Re: [IC] TaiHao ABS Keycaps - OEM Profile (2023) | VIM Arrow Kit (?)
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 03:30:46 »
Update: Possible addition of a VIM Arrow Kit

After negotiating new tooling cost with TaiHao, I'm very tempted to include VIM arrows into this kit.
The target base kit price will stay the same (near 40USD). 

Do people care for VIM arrows? I don't use VIM but have always enjoyed the aesthetics.

Offline wastl

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 16:07:00 »
Will ISO be supported?

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 18:10:21 »
Update: Possible addition of a VIM Arrow Kit

After negotiating new tooling cost with TaiHao, I'm very tempted to include VIM arrows into this kit.
The target base kit price will stay the same (near 40USD). 

Do people care for VIM arrows? I don't use VIM but have always enjoyed the aesthetics.

I also don't use VIM, but I don't mind them in the base kit so long as they increase the price.

Though I would prefer more useful kitting over them if they equate to the same price.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline m202307

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 19:28:26 »
Vim user here; no interest in the arrows whatsoever.  But then I dislike sublegends in general.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 20:03:47 »
Love vim arrows