Author Topic: The many faces of Geekhack  (Read 1621364 times)

Offline iri

Re: The many faces of Geekhack
« Reply #4150 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 07:00:45 »
Have to work twice as hard while d-bags call you 'honey' and 'sweetheart'.  :rolleyes:
I am now officially a douchebag. Source: inanis.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #4151 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 09:57:37 »
the douchebag is sad because storms

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #4152 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 09:58:08 »
where is the beer mate
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline iri

« Reply #4153 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:03:05 »
118535-0

-Ray Bradbury

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4154 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:20:25 »
Have to work twice as hard while d-bags call you 'honey' and 'sweetheart'.  :rolleyes:
As a general rule, if you are male call your female coworker 'honey', it is basically saying 'oh, isn't adorable the lady is trying to play office.'. The only exception would be if you are in a relationship or if it is a joke between friends.

To be fair tho, it is a trigger for me, so I'm hypersensitive about it. It is also possible that it is viewed differently in other areas. But here, I'm pretty spot on in my assessment.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4155 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 10:31:07 »
You're all less geeky than I had initially presumed.
True. I think I look the part of a geek compared to everyone else's pictures that I see I here.

At least it's teaching me not to pre judge.

Offline iri

« Reply #4156 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 11:16:56 »
As a general rule, if you are male call your female coworker 'honey', it is basically saying 'oh, isn't adorable the lady is trying to play office.'. The only exception would be if you are in a relationship or if it is a joke between friends.

To be fair tho, it is a trigger for me, so I'm hypersensitive about it. It is also possible that it is viewed differently in other areas. But here, I'm pretty spot on in my assessment.
For the sake of your mental health, don't come to the UK.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4157 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 11:22:33 »

For the sake of your mental health, don't come to the UK.
I've never heard someone call a woman "honey" or "sweety" in the places I've worked except one job when I was younger. It was one guy who said it. He never said it in a way which made me think he was putting anyone down.

The job I have now is very PC though. Not, many people would get away with saying sweety.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4158 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 11:46:59 »
Have to work twice as hard while d-bags call you 'honey' and 'sweetheart'.  ::)

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #4159 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 12:13:38 »

Show Image

don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4160 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 12:40:13 »

Show Image

Show Image

Where are your faces?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4161 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 17:10:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Where are your faces?

Sup.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4162 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 18:45:34 »

I thought honey was a good word...

I've never called any one honey... I've always just said Hi, <statement>,  without directly addressing via pronoun.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4163 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:37:42 »

I've never called any one honey... I've always just said Hi, <statement>,  without directly addressing via pronoun.
Honey is a good word in the proper context. But in this context it is said by a man to put a woman in her place. Example:

Me:*explains something technical*
Douche: listen honey, I know you are a "sys admin", but I'd rather wait for a real tech to weigh in.

This has happened to me multiple times. It makes me lose my mind. Also, if I'm bold enough to speak on the topic, I'm usually right which only makes them more annoyed the next time they deal with me 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4164 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:42:09 »

Honey is a good word in the proper context. But in this context it is said by a man to put a woman in her place. Example:

Me:*explains something technical*
Douche: listen honey, I know you are a "sys admin", but I'd rather wait for a real tech to weigh in.

This has happened to me multiple times. It makes me lose my mind. Also, if I'm bold enough to speak on the topic, I'm usually right which only makes them more annoyed the next time they deal with me 

Conversely ,, you could take it as a compliment, because perhaps you look so young to them..

So, it's not like,  Honey,   it's like  ..honey........

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4165 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 19:56:39 »
Conversely ,, you could take it as a compliment, because perhaps you look so young to them..

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seriously tho, I am not one to assume the best of someone under even the finest of circumstances. Never mind when they are being a sexist meanie.  So all you guys out there, be nice to your female co workers. At least they ones that are good at their job. If they are terrible, then feel free to be awful. But don't assume their being female is why they are awful. Equal opportunity and all that.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4166 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 20:03:30 »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seriously tho, I am not one to assume the best of someone under even the finest of circumstances. Never mind when they are being a sexist meanie.  So all you guys out there, be nice to your female co workers. At least they ones that are good at their job. If they are terrible, then feel free to be awful. But don't assume their being female is why they are awful. Equal opportunity and all that.

Well,  to be "fair".. hahahahaha.. here goes..

MANY of these crude, sexist guyz in IT,  are the same guys you females wouldn't haz seks with during highschool--through--college--

So, the fact that they're a bit resentful and behave awkwardly around females, is primarily to Cover for their inability to overcome their #Ronery mentality...   

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4167 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 20:08:44 »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My wife is a chef and the honey/sweetie thing is something she deals with when they bring in new chefs. She's able to back herself up well and can be quite the ball buster. I call her the Bear Jew now because of some of the stories I've heard.

That whole pet name thing is so crazy to use in a professional environment. Even more so when it comes off sexist.

I work construction so when women do show up from time to time most guys seem to not know how to act and I think they default to that **** out of discomfort.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4168 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:09:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Where are your faces?

Sup.

Show Image

F'n knew it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4169 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:15:39 »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

My wife is a chef and the honey/sweetie thing is something she deals with when they bring in new chefs. She's able to back herself up well and can be quite the ball buster. I call her the Bear Jew now because of some of the stories I've heard.

That whole pet name thing is so crazy to use in a professional environment. Even more so when it comes off sexist.

I work construction so when women do show up from time to time most guys seem to not know how to act and I think they default to that **** out of discomfort.

Yea but you guys are all buff, and get all the ladies anyway despite the attitude.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4170 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:17:15 »
Yea but you guys are all buff, and get all the ladies anyway despite the attitude.

"buff" ain't got **** on tp4
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4171 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:42:49 »
So in my work a few women call me "honey", I never paid attention before but now I'm wondering what the heck it means. :confused:
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4172 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:49:19 »
So in my work a few women call me "honey", I never paid attention before but now I'm wondering what the heck it means. :confused:

Women are allowed to do it. It's only sexist when men do it.

I'm not joking.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4173 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 21:55:58 »

I'm not joking.

Women at other places call me that all the time. I don't blink once. Whenever a dude calls a women that, if they don't have that kind of relationship all heads turn.
I'm in the legal profession.

Offline iri

« Reply #4174 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 08:40:04 »
Good heaven, what would these American women think if I called them "my love"?..

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #4175 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 09:03:46 »
Good heaven, what would these American women think if I called them "my love"?..
Ohh snap I was just going to ask that, we call everyone love in York (Most likely the rest of the UK too but I wouldn't know), men and women alike what do you feel about that Inanis? (Serious question as well)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4176 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 10:01:31 »
Ohh snap I was just going to ask that, we call everyone love in York (Most likely the rest of the UK too but I wouldn't know), men and women alike what do you feel about that Inanis? (Serious question as well)
Well, intent matters. For instance I have a co-worker from the UK and he calls everyone under the sun the c word. As an American, that is only a word I use in dire circumstances. However, I take no offense when he says it.

Also pepole from the south are much more likely to use something like darling, honey, sweetheart, than someone from anywhere else in the country. So intent matters there too.

However, if a man from New England calls a a woman sweetheart in the workplace in 99% of situations he is doing it to be a ****. Particularly in a STEM field. While it is less common, it is the same if a woman does it to a woman.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:21:00 by inanis »

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4177 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 10:57:17 »
how do you feel about "babe"
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4178 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:20:16 »

chill bae
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4179 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:24:26 »
Call me 'babe' to be an ******* and I feel it is well within my rights to verbally ***** slap you. Often and in front of people you value. But again, intent matters.

We need more faces posted up in here.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4180 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:29:37 »

3 kids for 3 days. Send HALP!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4181 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:31:25 »

This thread is a poster for TL;DR

I think that you have to go back to the 100s to see a picture of TP4tissue

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4182 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:38:20 »
3 kids for 3 days. Send HALP!
Hiding in that hoodie isn't going to help.  :p If it is sunny out there send them in the yard to clean up the left over leaves. All kids love leaves.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4183 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 11:52:50 »
The ****?!?! Avatar change. Who are you? Stranger danger!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4184 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 12:09:57 »
The ****?!?! Avatar change. Who are you? Stranger danger!
I know! When people change thier Avatar it messes me all up too. The pony was just for Halloween. I'll go back to my standard back and white band logos soon enough.  :thumb:

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4185 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 14:16:14 »

I'm not joking.
I see what you're saying.

But, I think context matters most.

How it is said. When it is said. The relationship the person has with the other person.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #4186 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 14:52:04 »
i got sent to HR once for writing ****MONSTER in huge letters on the schedule,

we probly couldn't work together
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4187 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 14:59:26 »
i got sent to HR once for writing ****MONSTER in huge letters on the schedule,

we probly couldn't work together

I had to wear a bra all day at work for losing a bet, HR loved it but they were part of the bet.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline iri

« Reply #4188 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 15:42:32 »
I have a co-worker from the UK and he calls everyone under the sun the c word.
Are you sure he is not from Australia? It's like the UK but with better weather and smaller spiders

-Ray Bradbury

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4189 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:03:13 »
Call me 'babe' to be an ******* and I feel it is well within my rights to verbally ***** slap you. Often and in front of people you value. But again, intent matters.

ay babe OuO

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #4190 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:59:26 »

:-*

Yes, that is a gold embroidered "P" right on the crotch for some reason. Drunk self was happy with this thrift store outfit a decade ago.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4191 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 18:25:20 »

ay babe OuO

demik, sounds like you like to be verbally ***** slapped....

Show Image

Yes, that is a gold embroidered "P" right on the crotch for some reason. Drunk self was happy with this thrift store outfit a decade ago.

Indeed, the glittering "P" is what sells it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4192 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 18:29:54 »
1v1 me right meow

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4193 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 18:35:50 »
1v1 me right meow
I only unleash those powers on people who deserve it. Anger brings out my quick wit.  Like the saying goes Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #4194 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 22:51:09 »
Show Image

Gangsta, gangsta!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4195 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 23:46:25 »

I'm not joking.

Women at other places call me that all the time. I don't blink once. Whenever a dude calls a women that, if they don't have that kind of relationship all heads turn.

Well then what happens in your legal profession ,  when a guy calls another guy -Honey-... 

Lawsuit xplosion ??

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4196 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 23:58:30 »

I'm not joking.

Well then what happens in your legal profession ,  when a guy calls another guy -Honey-... 
Show Image

Lawsuit xplosion ??

We cup buttocks.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4197 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 02:05:44 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 02:07:54 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4198 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 07:33:24 »
1v1 me right meow
I only unleash those powers on people who deserve it. Anger brings out my quick wit.  Like the saying goes Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret.

Daww honey, soft as a kitten :p

Alright no more, I feel like I'm pushing my luck already lol.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4199 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 08:07:12 »
1v1 me right meow

you're all talk