Author Topic: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (shipped!)  (Read 28986 times)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
[GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (shipped!)
« on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:50:45 »
Greetings, and welcome back to my group-buy. I'm arranging to have made (using Litster's .dxfs intended for 5mm acrylic) ergodox cases.

You can see my faulty camera revealing the results here, which shows the spacers (dicussed in a moment) a couple of times, or there's some good pictures from the first time I did this that had better lighting.

(tangentially related, non-GH links ahead)
 Since they're too thin by themselves, you'll need some sort of spacer. JDcarpe has drawn up a spacer, and that is what I reference in this group buy ... but there are alternatives if you just want the metal case, now.
(/end tangent)

One of the major advantages of this case, is the plate: you can use plate mounted switches, and they 'snap' into place just like they're designed to. The disadvantage is you may find you've developed a bit of a breeze. (oystein.krog's Round-one case; same as what you'll get in this round but he's used M3 nuts as spacers).

We've seen some ALPS .dxf designs, and I snagged the one that was spoken of as used-and-working. There's a bit of a programming charge for cutting in a different pattern, but if you know you want that instead, I'll tack on an extra $2, or if you want both plates I can do that too for an extra $10 in aluminum, or an extra $18 in stainless steel (almost positive on that front. If there's interest I'll verify with the shop).

Assumptions on the order form: That you want a case in 16 gauge (1.5mm / 1/16ths-inch). That you want both left and right hand, and of the same metal. That if you get the spacer kit, you want it to be of the same metal as your case. That you want eight layers to your spacer kit to go with the five of the case itself. I'm flexible on most stuff I just need to know what to tell the machine shop to cut so if you know you want something else, put it in the comments. If you don't know what you want but think you want it, let's discuss it here.

Prices on the form include domestic paypal cut but not shipping. I'm going to use the flat-rate-medium for stainless, and for orders of two cases + spacers or three aluminum cases. Figuring in something for packaging that's $13, or potentially less if you're closer / buying less. international buyers are warned about shipping weights: I don't know what exactly it will work out to, but if with-packaging crosses that magic 4 pound line, the flat-rate boxes tend  to cost upwards of $65. There's some hoops I can jump through (flimsy envelope, packing peanuts) but postage has been the detail with the most devils on previous runs.

ORDER FORM LIVE and accepting your input now.

EDIT: some of you might want to see the prices before pretending to order, hmm?
I actually intended to include this last night ...

After paypal, but before shipping:
More
aluminumstainless
$39$66.25(Classic case)
$15.20$29.20(Minimalist)
$22.50$43.75(Ext-minimal)
$38.25$76.15(8-layer spacer kit)
$42.75$72.75(Full hand case)
$16.60]$32.50(FH minimalist)
$$24.50$48(Fullhand extended minimalist)

- - - -
Historical content hidden. They've nearly doubled the price -- classic case, ten layers in aluminum will be $52, $105 in stainless -- again that's before shipping, which thankfully hasn't been spiked. Yes I know you've paid already but now they're altering the deal pray they dont alter it any further.

Ante up or back out? Since prices are changing I'd like an answer on this soon.

More
So, since the cases seem to be languishing: What do you guys think about adding phantom ANSI-150 plates? Sixteen gauge stainless, probably $35 / ea + shipping. If all you're getting is a plate I'd have cheaper ways of shipping it to you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 November 2014, 16:15:07 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 23:52:49 »
Noctane1 Aluminum classic, 1 copy
Data SS classic W/spacer kit, 1 copy
limitz SS classic W/spacer kit, 1 copy
Shiftshape Aluminum ext-minimalist + Classic in SS
lone_wing classic aluminum, 1 copy
shimmy1996 classic aluminum, 1 copy
EkL extended minimalist, 2 copies
Prdlm2009 RH-Full, aluminum, 2 copies

More
Everyone has paid or gotten ahold of me about further details. Order has been sent to the shop the morning of October fifteenth. As Data says below, 'lets do this.'
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 12:48:31 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Noctane1

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 04:23:24 »
Filled out my form, very excited!

Offline Data

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 08:18:43 »
Form filled.  Let's do this.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 September 2014, 12:29:52 »
Here's my extended minimalist case from AK's round 2, in case anyone's interested.

AK, just sent you a PM regarding custom order.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 02:00:28 »
This looks interesting. Will keep my eye on this!

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 11:57:34 »
So, orders aren't exactly pouring in; might be the wrong time for some folks considering there's some great keycap GBs going on just now (except I think there always are but I digress).

A couple folks have had questions, and I've had communication breakdowns with the new project manager so I don't have answers for you. Anything generic, as in on the list above, I have numbers for and we've seen they can make them so go ahead and order from the list, if you like.

I don't know exactly how much longer I'll keep this open but I have in my mind I want to order by, say, October 10th ... no later than the 15th. So invoicing will probably start in a week ... week and a half, something like that.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 September 2014, 16:50:41 »
Sounds good to me, AK.  Thanks man.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 16:30:55 »
Alright, I've gotten some feedback from the shop manager. He'd missed that each case used one copy of each .dxf, and everything would be sixteen gauge metal except for a few exceptions.

The spacer in 3/16ths being one of them, and if folks like I'll pursue that angle but I suspect it will come out, as I said, comparable to the same amount of metal from thinner sheets -- except it should be cheaper because there would be less laser time, which is the most expensive single component to this process.

Also, again if folks want it, I've handed off the 'tested' ALPs plates, and it sounds like the fact there's no butterfly wings may be offset by the fact they've never programmed their laser for that particular version ... so if you want to replace the MX plate with ALPS let me know, and I'm about 90% positive it won't change your price.

I'll be responding to PMs next so if you've a question waiting, I'll probably be getting back to you very shortly.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 04:31:17 »
So, orders aren't exactly pouring in...

Order in!  ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:05:44 by Shiftshape »

Offline Data

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 10:32:28 »
So the 3/16th spacers each take the place of 3 layers in 1/16th (12 AWG?).  Is that about right?

The spacer kit is 8 layers.  Does that mean we're using 2x 3/16 and 2x 1/16 in the layout?  I'm still confused on where the 3/16th layers fit in the design.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 11:53:55 »
So the 3/16th spacers each take the place of 3 layers in 1/16th (12 AWG?).  Is that about right?

The spacer kit is 8 layers.  Does that mean we're using 2x 3/16 and 2x 1/16 in the layout?  I'm still confused on where the 3/16th layers fit in the design.

Technically, it was JDcarpe's idea, so I'll let him elaborate but the picture in my mind would be: (from the top, going down)

top plate,
upper_spacer plate (part of the classic/FH kit)
3x-thick JD spacer
switch plate
3x-thick JD spacer
lower_spacer plate (part of the classic/FH kit)
3x-thick JD spacer
base plate.

So it would be the equivalent, weight wise, to using a 9-copy spacer kit, but would have fewer "holes" at the edges for potential mismatches of any variety.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 12:19:16 »
Weird.  That sounds like it would be a full 3/16th taller than with the 8-layer spacer kit.  Hopefully JD can elaborate.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 11:54:40 »
I'm expanding the scope of this group buy a bit, since I'm not being overwhelmed with case orders.

Strict just finished sending an order off to the shop, and as so often happens folks piped up with "dang I missed it can I get in anyway?" and I decided to offer to take up that slack.

So ... in order to spread the reprogramming fee around a bit, I'm going to set the MOQ at 5 plates per layout, and I really do want to submit this order in about a week so take that into consideration. Strict's prices were $35 per plate, and if that's all you're getting shipping should be a lot cheaper -- flat envelope, $6, considerably more for international. Mind you, I haven't talked to the shop about this particular piece of metal, but I'm pretty sure I can match what Strict's shop was asking.

ANSI - 150 available, probably. If there's five orders. If you want ANSI-125 or the 7-bit layout, again pipe up and I'll keep track.

I'm at work thus distracted because I have to keep leaving this window; so sorry if I sound distracted (it's because I am). BUT let's run this expansion like the abostudios / kinraun thing: speak up in-thread that you want one, and I'll PM you for paypal / shipping details "soon"
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 October 2014, 11:58:43 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Tracer

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 10:47:12 »
If I want to use the existing Acrylic layers for the "filler" will the Minimalist with top plate work? Or will the spacing be all wrong?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 11:30:03 »
If I want to use the existing Acrylic layers for the "filler" will the Minimalist with top plate work? Or will the spacing be all wrong?

It seems to me the spacing would be off. You'd have to use the acrylic switch plate to avoid air gaps, and that loses the appeal of the whole thing for me personally. But you could probably alternate acrylic/aluminum, putting the metal switch plate above the switches ... or get the classic, and set the metal switchplate aside, interspersing the metal with acrylic but keeping the upper / lower spacers in addition to the switchplate.

So, a few more orders have trickled in, and while it feels a little odd to move on while we're still on the first page of orders, I'm going to start creating invoices this week ... hopefully tonight but the next three days or so are crazy-busy for me. Don't panic about not getting an invoice until at least Friday night.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (Invoicing this week!)
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 18:54:04 »
I got an invoice today with not much info on it. Was that you?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 19:12:18 »
I got an invoice today with not much info on it. Was that you?
I believe I created your invoice ... I put as much information on it as I usually do. Does the dollar amount look like what you expected?

PM me if you've more questions. I believe you got invoice #31 ...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 12:04:42 »
Alright, folks I've got the invoices out there. Still accepting orders through the weekend, but the usual logic applies -- the sooner the money comes in the sooner I can send the order into the shop.

Have a great day and thanks for your enthusiasm for the Ergodox covered in metal!

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline EkL

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 10 October 2014, 14:42:46 »
Just dropping a HUGE THANKS for running this GB!! :thumb:  This case is a deal and a half as long as you're willing to do a bit of DIY.

Offline Noctane1

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 03:55:11 »
What stabilizers does the plate support?

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 07:45:10 »
Just dropping a HUGE THANKS for running this GB!! :thumb:  This case is a deal and a half as long as you're willing to do a bit of DIY.

Indeed! It's thanks to AKM's plates that I'm finally getting around to building a dox. ;)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 15:09:33 »
What stabilizers does the plate support?
It has the combined cutouts, that will accept cherry or costar plate-mounted stabilizers.

I occasionally get questions about how to describe the kits, and since I don't have a working camera, it's hard for me to show what I mean too. Was there a particular post in the old thread that explained it really well? It seems I've explained this before and people 'got it' ...

Oh well. We're getting closer so hopefully I can submit this order early this week.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline tbc

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 18:24:46 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42772.msg1494300#msg1494300

i say that's one of the most pimping metal+acrylic styles you can make.

there are others in that thread using cases from this gb.  specifically check out glod's styles.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 00:25:16 »
There's a couple of holdouts, else I'd be submitting the order already. So, I'm going to go send reminders out via PP, then I'm cancelling orders early Friday if that's what it comes to.

Edit: pmts in! Order being sent shortly!

October 22nd
Weekly update: things are progressing like molasses in January.

Order is in, but the new guy can't make sense of the ordering method used with the previous guy. Should work out fine but there's paperwork in between there and here so I guess the topic is more "pre-production" than actually in production. But he assures me we're in the queue to be lasered into place so hold tight, everyone.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:24:12 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (preproduction)
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 11:33:06 »
noon PST EDIT: now that he's bothering to actually do his job, he's saying prices have doubled since he provided me with the quote in the OP. Do we want to proceed? Classic is now north of $100 in stainless, fifty something aluminum.

Alright, apparently the fact that the new guy doesn't know what he's doing may cause price fluctuations. I'm being told that it's going to be more expensive to use 6061 because they don't stock it and I'd have to buy a whole sheet, can we use 5052 instead?

I'm reading up on the important differences, and I think we want to stick with the harder grade of aluminum. Hopefully this won't really affect us since he saw what the quote was before (and should have adjusted based on costs differences he should have known about), but he may have just invented numbers out of his heinny to make me stop asking questions, too.

Also: JD, your spacer file is empty, so he says. Yes, it's the same one we've been using but do you know of any reason why he would be unable to see any contents in your drawing? KThxBye.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 October 2014, 13:42:51 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 14:46:10 »
Interesting.  I guess a few extra bucks does not bug me that much at this point.  Rather than putting that towards a bottle of wine, I could use it for something useful that will last me longer than a drunken evening.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Data

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 21:13:38 »
noon PST EDIT: now that he's bothering to actually do his job, he's saying prices have doubled since he provided me with the quote in the OP. Do we want to proceed? Classic is now north of $100 in stainless, fifty something aluminum.

Alright, apparently the fact that the new guy doesn't know what he's doing may cause price fluctuations. I'm being told that it's going to be more expensive to use 6061 because they don't stock it and I'd have to buy a whole sheet, can we use 5052 instead?

I'm reading up on the important differences, and I think we want to stick with the harder grade of aluminum. Hopefully this won't really affect us since he saw what the quote was before (and should have adjusted based on costs differences he should have known about), but he may have just invented numbers out of his heinny to make me stop asking questions, too.

Also: JD, your spacer file is empty, so he says. Yes, it's the same one we've been using but do you know of any reason why he would be unable to see any contents in your drawing? KThxBye.

I can't afford to double my bill.  If that's what we've come down to then I will have to bow out and look elsewhere for SS.

Offline Data

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:47:17 »
Received my refund. I'm super disappointed but I understand you can only do so much. Thanks anyway for trying.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (big changes / possible problems)
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:04:32 »
If price doubles, then I'm in for a regular kit with no spacers. I can combine that with the MD acrylic design correct? I'm really looking for that the combination acrylic + metal look.

Otherwise, I can't wait, and I think it would be a good idea to try to get a R3 in of the Phantom plate in SS, or a 60% notched Poker plate in SS. Both of those would sell well probably.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 13:43:57 »
Interesting.  I guess a few extra bucks does not bug me that much at this point.  Rather than putting that towards a bottle of wine, I could use it for something useful that will last me longer than a drunken evening.

If price doubles, then I'm in for a regular kit with no spacers. I can combine that with the MD acrylic design correct?

So, we've got two in favor, so I've written back to the shop for clarification. It also looks like he ignored the minimalist case orders so I have no idea what's up with that. Also for some reason he's wanting to give .0508" metal to the aluminum folks so I guess he's having a hard time with his english skills or something.

Since folks want to pursue this, I will too. The folks on the floor haven't changed so the work will be as great as ever, and I've been happy with their work as I've said before. But we have to go through the new guy who clearly isn't getting something about this process.

:mad: :-[

I was really hoping things would go smoother with the new guy.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline limitz

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 14:56:53 »
What is the status on adding notched Phantom/Poker II plates? Might help drive prices down a little bit.

I know this seems selfish, but if you can assure there will be no round 3, I will maintain my classic+spacer kit even if prices move up, rather than just the classic. Reason for this is because a R3 would lower resale value and since prices are already increasing, it would be a favor to those who are in on this group buy.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 15:42:42 »
What is the status on adding notched Phantom/Poker II plates? Might help drive prices down a little bit.

I know this seems selfish, but if you can assure there will be no round 3, I will maintain my classic+spacer kit even if prices move up, rather than just the classic. Reason for this is because a R3 would lower resale value and since prices are already increasing, it would be a favor to those who are in on this group buy.

That is pretty ridiculous .... 
Hi :)

Offline lone_wing

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 17:31:30 »
If price does go up, I have to back out. I am cash strapped as it is, and was really looking forward to a case, but it was in my upper limit right now. Sorry.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 17:33:44 »
If price does go up, I have to back out. I am cash strapped as it is, and was really looking forward to a case, but it was in my upper limit right now. Sorry.
I understand. I'm fairly upset myself.  Give me a few minutes and I'll get your refund processed.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 18:06:50 »
Sounds like with the aluminum he is stuck on 16-gauge for some reason. 15-gauge would be closer to spec for plates.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Shiftshape

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 03:44:28 »
I'm super sad to say that I'll have to back out as well if it comes to increased price... :(

Thanks heaps for setting this up though!

Offline Data

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 08:29:09 »
What were the updated prices on Aluminum Classic + Spacers?

Offline limitz

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 09:35:41 »

That is pretty ridiculous ....

Is it though? Look at the prices of the OTD boards. Some are over $1500. A good chunk of the reason for that is exclusivity.

If prices go up, and the people who stay with this group buy are paying nearly double the price, it would be a nice thing to do to make sure we're not going to lose money. If a R3 comes out, back at the original price, then the people who got in onto the R2 are made to look like fools. At least this way, all of us who stay, know we won't lose any money if/when we decide to resell.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 12:12:39 »
What were the updated prices on Aluminum Classic + Spacers?

As last quoted, it was 52 for the classic case, and since no one requested the spacers in aluminum I can't tell, but at least half-again.

Shiftshape's Ext-minimalist in aluminum would be about $42 but that's using the aluminum called 16 gage. Since they don't stock that grade of aluminum we'd have to buy the whole sheet of 14-gauge which could easily enough drive the price further.

I briefly updated the OP -- classic in stainless would be $105, so $150-ish for Data's original order but probably nigh a hundred for the same pieces in aluminum.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 14:17:11 »
Wait, $150-ish is what I paid.  That's the same price.  Did you mean $250-ish?

100 for classic plus ~150 for spacers?

I need something, so I'm willing to side-grade to Al and even forgo the spacer kit if I have to.  Just trying to figure it all out.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 17:19:05 »
I need something, so I'm willing to side-grade to Al and even forgo the spacer kit if I have to.  Just trying to figure it all out.

My head hurts trying to understand his spreadsheet.

I'm going to try this again, ordering your case as aluminum. If we can't communicate better on this next attempt, I'm giving up on this guy -- which means the buy is off and that would suck but I have my limits and he's standing on them.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 19:08:01 »
I'm sure we all appreciate it.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 17:52:35 »
Still trying to make sure I understand this, and there's still errors to correct in his understanding of the order BUT

it looks like it's $189 shipped (conus) for a full SS classic with spacers. Case is way more than he quoted but the spacers a fair bit less.

Aluminum, right thickness this time, $42 shipped for the minimalist and nothing else, $134 for one classic with spacer kit.

I'll go over this with a fine tooth comb sometime before I go to bed, and send out corrective invoices to those still in. So, let me know where you stand, folks so I can submit this before he changes is pricing scheme again.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline EkL

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 19:06:34 »
depending on the price, I might need to reduce my order from 2 aluminum extended minimalist to just 1 set.  Your efforts are definitely appreciated  :thumb:

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 23:10:14 »
Thanks for your patience; you should all have gotten PMs about price corrections. Any questions, I should be able to answer them.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline limitz

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 23:28:19 »
Thanks for your patience; you should all have gotten PMs about price corrections. Any questions, I should be able to answer them.

I did not get my email. I had a Classic SS kit with spacers. I've already paid, so will need another invoice for the correct price, or a refund on the original invoice.

Thanks.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 23:47:09 »
I did not get my email. [...]
Thanks.

Aaaand - that's why I posted.

Sounds like you're just going to go ahead, so check your paypal email, I've send a 2nd invoice for the difference (it's minor compared to my flailing about previously).

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:02:33 »
New invoice paid.

Still willing to send you packing materials if you need them.  Will drop ship from Office Depot or Staples.  Let me know.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:15:23 »
New invoice paid.

Still willing to send you packing materials if you need them.  Will drop ship from Office Depot or Staples.  Let me know.
Got it. Writing to the shop now about the minor change.

And, a coworker has packing peanuts and those envelope things coming out his ears so I think I'm set.

Today or Monday, folks. I really think it's going to happen after all.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #50 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:47:29 »
Sweet.

Offline limitz

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 02:31:13 »
I did not get my email. [...]
Thanks.

Aaaand - that's why I posted.

Sounds like you're just going to go ahead, so check your paypal email, I've send a 2nd invoice for the difference (it's minor compared to my flailing about previously).

Updated invoice paid. Still in for SS Classic + Spacer kit
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:09:38 »
Alright guys, I've received confirmation the order has been entered, and they're estimating two weeks in production.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (production)
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:15:28 »
Not bad!

Offline Data

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 10:04:29 »
Just getting my last few parts.  AK, are these Cherry plate-mount stabilizers you're using here?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 11:16:24 »
Just getting my last few parts.  AK, are these Cherry plate-mount stabilizers you're using here?

Show Image

Yes. One of the many advantages, IMHO, if this GB is that you can use plate mounted stabilizers, and I prefer cherry but it has the universal hole so you could use costar plate mounted stabs, too.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 12:12:28 »
I don't even know where to look for Costar stabs, so I just grabbed some Cherry G99-0224 from Mouser.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 12 November 2014, 11:43:19 »
The shop has advised me the order has been completed. Not sure if I can get out there today the unseasonable weather caused a bunch of our work's servers to die so I'm spending the day doing a few bare metal restores.

But mailing should begin this weekend. I hope.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 11:10:05 »
No pressure AK.  Happy to hear that it's ready.

Offline limitz

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 13 November 2014, 17:35:07 »
I don't even know where to look for Costar stabs, so I just grabbed some Cherry G99-0224 from Mouser.

WASD carries costar stabilizers.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: everything shipped
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 16:14:43 »
It's up to the postal service, now. Everything is out of my hands. (if PP doesn't show a tracking # for you PM me and I'll find it)

So, I have a few extra pieces but not sure I have a whole case. Likely to create a classifieds thread for it. Eventually.

Also: some of you got your case tied together with 16AWG solid copper wire. Some of you though, got 17ca aluminum fence wire instead. I want you to think on that.

Evening Edit: It occurred to me that these were a little less polished than previous runs. Literally, not polished as much -- so you might plan on having some 1000-grit sandpaper handy to smooth out the screw holes to make sure everything lays flat like it's supposed to.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 00:45:39 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

Re: [GB] Ergodox in Metal: cases in layers (shipped!)
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 19:07:29 »
Woohoo!

Offline Data

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:15:46 »
I got fence wire! I got fence wire!  ;D

I'll get some sandpaper tomorrow. Just a few rough spots to clean up. Somebody remind me what the order of layers is?

Offline limitz

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 22:06:15 »
Got mine today, but I'm traveling.

SO says the case feels super heavy, and extremely high quality. Will be combining this w/ the Massdrop kit.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Data

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:32:19 »
Seriously though, I'm gonna need some help with the order of layers.  I think I might have an extra spacer per side?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 16:52:28 »
Base, JD spacer, lower_spacer (that's the really thin one; two divots at the top for the RH side one for the left); three JD spacers (this will go around the PCB) plate, two JD_spacers, upper_spacer (visible cutouts for the electronics), two JD spacers, top_plate (make sure the hole to reboot the Teensy is on the RH side)

Pretty sure. That should make room for everything.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Data

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 19:19:14 »
Base, JD spacer, lower_spacer (that's the really thin one; two divots at the top for the RH side one for the left); three JD spacers (this will go around the PCB) plate, two JD_spacers, upper_spacer (visible cutouts for the electronics), two JD spacers, top_plate (make sure the hole to reboot the Teensy is on the RH side)

Pretty sure. That should make room for everything.
Awesome. Thank you, AK.

Offline Data

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:09:56 »
I guess I'll chronicle my build here, as tribute.  Pics are customary, right?   :p  If this gets spammy I can move it to another thread/subforum. 

Most of my pieces had a lot of what I can only describe as "slag" from the cutting process.

There was also a bit of "overspray", particularly around the screw holes.  Overall they had a fairly dull finish from the shop.

Note: I'm not complaining about this.  I understand how laser cutting works and was expecting to do some work on the plates anyway.

So I sat down and did some sanding & polishing this weekend.  About 10 hours worth in total.  Here are the results.

I had to get slightly more aggressive than 1000 grit for these.  ;)  The rough edges were destroying my sandpaper.  I started with 120 on the worst layers - particularly the spacers - then worked up through 220, and 600.  Then I finished with 1200, 2000, and polishing compound on the top, bottom, and plate layers.  I left the spacers at 220 since they will be the least visible layers.  They have a nice, bright "brushed" look now.

I could have polished these more, but after 10 hours I was ready to be done.  I would have needed to switch to wet sanding for the best results and that was going to be too much for this project.  I think the results turned out pretty well, anyway.

Next step was to do a temp assembly around the plate & PCB for soldering switches.  5 layers: PCB "holder" layer, 3 JD spacers, and the plate (which is on the bottom of the stack in these).

And this is where I'm at currently.  I need some M3 nuts to complete the temp frame for soldering.  I'll be getting those at a local hobby store later today.

So far, so good.  :D

Offline limitz

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:35:44 »
I guess I'll chronicle my build here, as tribute.  Pics are customary, right?   :p  If this gets spammy I can move it to another thread/subforum. 

Most of my pieces had a lot of what I can only describe as "slag" from the cutting process.
Show Image

Show Image

There was also a bit of "overspray", particularly around the screw holes.  Overall they had a fairly dull finish from the shop.
Show Image

Note: I'm not complaining about this.  I understand how laser cutting works and was expecting to do some work on the plates anyway.

So I sat down and did some sanding & polishing this weekend.  About 10 hours worth in total.  Here are the results.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I had to get slightly more aggressive than 1000 grit for these.  ;)  The rough edges were destroying my sandpaper.  I started with 120 on the worst layers - particularly the spacers - then worked up through 220, and 600.  Then I finished with 1200, 2000, and polishing compound on the top, bottom, and plate layers.  I left the spacers at 220 since they will be the least visible layers.  They have a nice, bright "brushed" look now.

I could have polished these more, but after 10 hours I was ready to be done.  I would have needed to switch to wet sanding for the best results and that was going to be too much for this project.  I think the results turned out pretty well, anyway.

Next step was to do a temp assembly around the plate & PCB for soldering switches.  5 layers: PCB "holder" layer, 3 JD spacers, and the plate (which is on the bottom of the stack in these).
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And this is where I'm at currently.  I need some M3 nuts to complete the temp frame for soldering.  I'll be getting those at a local hobby store later today.
Show Image

Show Image

I've never polished steel before, but I have a day to devote to this. Can you elucidate the polishing procedure you have used for someone completely clueless like me?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Data

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 13:53:24 »

<snip>

I've never polished steel before, but I have a day to devote to this. Can you elucidate the polishing procedure you have used for someone completely clueless like me?

Kinda depends on how much prep your pieces need.  If you have a lot of slag like I did, you're going to need a fine file, some needle nose pliers, and a lot of sandpaper starting at around 100 grit.

The sanding part is just like sanding wood, you're just taking off a lot less material per stroke.  Make sure you use a sanding block (or make one) to distribute pressure evenly on the surface.  I noticed a very fine "grain" (faint lines in a uniform direction) in my layers so I just stuck with that, sanding in one direction, back and forth across the piece.  This will more or less give you a "brushed" appearance to start.  Then work your way up from the coarse paper to the fine paper, always sanding in the same direction.  You'll see a difference after each step. 

This is slow work.  If you're sanding by hand like I did, expect to spend 15-20 minutes per layer slice, front & back, times however many levels of sanding you're doing.  You could probably use power tools for this and save some time, but I prefer to have more control since this was "finish" work.  Plus the sanding was almost therapeutic.   :p

When you get up to the ~1000 grit you'll start to see it taking on a mirror finish.  Keep sanding.  I took mine to 2000 before I switched to polish.

As for the actual polishing, you'll need a good metal polish compound/cream.  I used this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/Lamp-Happich-Simichrome-Polish-1-76/dp/B008UW50GO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1416858155

It's designed for jewelry/precious metals but it doesn't know the difference.  I'm sure there are more appropriate compounds for steel but I just used what I had.  Apply a little to the surface and work it in with a thick rag (I used an old t-shirt) using small circular motions.  You'll probably need to go back over it several times in this way.  Take your time.  When you're ready, buff it with a clean rag.  Flip the piece over and repeat.  If it's not shiny enough yet, buff & polish again until you're happy with it.  You could probably use a buffing wheel here to save some time.  Just watch out for sharp corners, especially on the plate.

I am just a novice with access to Google.  Hope that helps.  :)

If anyone has tips/tricks they'd like to add, please chime in.

Offline limitz

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 16:40:36 »
This does help.

Between 100 grit and your finishing at 2500 grit, how many different types of sandpaper did you use in-between?
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Data

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 16:42:38 »

I only bothered with the last 2 on the 3 most-visible layers: top, bottom, and plate.

Offline Data

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 09:56:57 »
Small progress last night.

I got the switches and stabilizers installed (but not soldered) for a quick function check.

Offline limitz

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 20:12:20 »
Getting really confused to the layer order.

Know AKMalamute mentioned it twice in this thread, but I'm a very visual learner.

He mentions the base layer, a thin spacer layer w/ divots, and a JD spacer.

What is this "thin" spacer layer w/divots? Also... are all the JD spacers identical?

EDIT: Think I got this now.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 November 2014, 20:19:43 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline Data

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:55:13 »
Yes, the JD Spacers are the thinest pieces and they are all identical.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 18:59:03 »
Awesome

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 19:24:20 »
FWIW, I'm open to running this again next year. IC starting again in early January, I'll see if I can't get accurate quotes this time, plates cut middle to late February so everyone interested could get their metal by March or so.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 06:50:48 »
Thanks for running this.  Mine arrived and they look great.

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I looked through the thread and found nothing.  What size nut and bolt work best for keeping the case together on this?

Offline Data

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 08:55:38 »
I'm using M3 (metric) hardware.  I believe that's what it was originally cut for.

As for screw length...  sheet thickness may vary slightly between brands, and I have no calipers/micrometer to confirm, but nominal measurements on 16ga stainless steel are 0.0625 inches or 1.5875mm.  Multiply by the number of layers in your kit.  Right now I'm using 25mm screws for mine, but I'm also adding rubber feet to it.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 December 2014, 09:03:22 by Data »

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 13:08:47 »
I'm using M3 (metric) hardware.  I believe that's what it was originally cut for.

As for screw length...  sheet thickness may vary slightly between brands, and I have no calipers/micrometer to confirm, but nominal measurements on 16ga stainless steel are 0.0625 inches or 1.5875mm.  Multiply by the number of layers in your kit.  Right now I'm using 25mm screws for mine, but I'm also adding rubber feet to it.

Edit: spelling

Thanks.  I'm not sure on the thickness, because I will combine my metal case with the original acrylic, so we'll see.

Offline Data

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 16:04:33 »
I finished my build 2 weeks ago but figured I owed you guys some pics.  Enough procrastinating then...

A few more here:  http://imgur.com/a/G6eHg

And finally, one request if you do another round of this case: Please modify the JD spacers to allow proper spacing with key caps in the outside thumb cluster.  I had this problem on both sides that required several hours of additional grinding/filing/finishing before I could install caps -- thank god I had a Dremel.

It was necessary to trim 3 layers each side in both corners.  If you do another round with the spacers modified I'd be interested in buying another set (spacers only). 

Thanks for making this possible, AK.  ;)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 16:13:05 »
I finished my build 2 weeks ago but figured I owed you guys some pics.  Enough procrastinating then...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

A few more here:  http://imgur.com/a/G6eHg

And finally, one request if you do another round of this case: Please modify the JD spacers to allow proper spacing with key caps in the outside thumb cluster.  I had this problem on both sides that required several hours of additional grinding/filing/finishing before I could install caps -- thank god I had a Dremel.

Show Image

It was necessary to trim 3 layers each side in both corners.  If you do another round with the spacers modified I'd be interested in buying another set (spacers only). 

Thanks for making this possible, AK.  ;)
That looks really nice, especially with SA.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 14:03:18 »
Not sure what's different, but I didn't have to do anything on mine.

Well no I know what's different ... I'm not using TRRS connectors, and combined with a counting problem early on, I accepted half as many JDspacer pieces ... which worked fine, but somehow that rounded edge never interferes with my keycaps.

Have you put that thing on a scale, yet? Mine is about 5lbs, but you have all the spacers so I bet its closer 7lbs assembled.

And thanks for the pictures; it looks good fully polished.

Y'know one of the wild hares that crossed my path, was to run this case in T-100 steel. Black, heavy, unyielding. Of course that means ANY manufacturing error would be unfixable because it's be stronger than over the counter tools.

Still ... A514 / T100 Ergodox ...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 14:28:08 »

Show Image

Yep, I definitely need to modify the drawing to remove the rounded part at that corner. If you use more than 2 spacer layers above the switch plate, it will most definitely interfere with keycap movement.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Data

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 17:46:53 »
Not sure what's different, but I didn't have to do anything on mine.

Well no I know what's different ... I'm not using TRRS connectors, and combined with a counting problem early on, I accepted half as many JDspacer pieces ... which worked fine, but somehow that rounded edge never interferes with my keycaps.

Have you put that thing on a scale, yet? Mine is about 5lbs, but you have all the spacers so I bet its closer 7lbs assembled.

And thanks for the pictures; it looks good fully polished.

Y'know one of the wild hares that crossed my path, was to run this case in T-100 steel. Black, heavy, unyielding. Of course that means ANY manufacturing error would be unfixable because it's be stronger than over the counter tools.

Still ... A514 / T100 Ergodox ...

6.1lb on our digital scale.  It's probably only accurate to about half a pound.

I'm waiting for somebody to do a set in titanium.   :D  I don't know much about T100 steel.  Is it anything like AR500?

Show Image

Yep, I definitely need to modify the drawing to remove the rounded part at that corner. If you use more than 2 spacer layers above the switch plate, it will most definitely interfere with keycap movement.

It definitely did!  :p

Offline OneDudeWolfPack

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 17:26:31 »
Will this be coming back again? I am interested in a stainless full hand ergodox case if it happens again.
WASD V2 Blue MX 87-key Granite R2 | WASD Code Clear MX 104-key w/ Granite R1 | Ergodox #1 - Full with Green MX & Granite R3 keycaps | Ergodox #2 - Full with Blue MX Granite R2

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 22:37:49 »
Will this be coming back again? I am interested in a stainless full hand ergodox case if it happens again.

I won't be in a place to make it happen any time soon. I mean, I'll reassess quarterly but I wouldn't expect to try before summer rolls around.

Which isn't to say someone else nearby couldn't make this happen. I've just got too much going on, and am trying to save my money for my other hobbies  -- motorcycle needs new tires, horse needs new saddle. Truck needs two grand worth of tires so I can go trail riding in the mountains.

Keyboards are trailing a ways, currently.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline ddevil

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 19:48:49 »
Is the consensus to use plate mounted switches with this case?  I'm piecing together an ErgoDox and it will be the first board I've built.  I assume the PCB will also work fine with plate mounted switches?  I've also gotta do my research on what I need to do about stabilizers.

Offline Data

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 09:58:59 »
Is the consensus to use plate mounted switches with this case?  I'm piecing together an ErgoDox and it will be the first board I've built.  I assume the PCB will also work fine with plate mounted switches?  I've also gotta do my research on what I need to do about stabilizers.

You can use either, but plate-mount might be a little easier.  PCB-mount switches can always be converted to plate with some snips.  :P

I found that forming a "soldering jig" with the 5 layers from the plate down (including JD spacers) resulted in a solid base to do my soldering from.  I also used plate-mount Cherry stabs and they worked beautifully.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 16:23:53 »
Hey, if anyone was interested in this group buy, but did not get in, I am selling my aluminum plates from it.  OP or mod, please let me know if I am out of line by posting this in here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46277.0