Author Topic: Does anyone here use trackball mice?  (Read 4753 times)

Offline ins0m

Does anyone here use trackball mice?
« on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 22:45:40 »
I haven't been on this part of the forum really. I just bought a trackball mouse today. It's a little hard to get used to. I'm having a hard time keeping the cursor still when I click down with my thumb. Does this usually get better? or do I have to completely take off my middle fingers off the ball to click down correctly.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 December 2010, 22:48:08 »
I do:

It's very nice. Love the rubber buttons.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 09:41:03 »
If it's your first time it will take a bit of getting used to it. I know with mine it would constantly click and drag instead of just clicking when I first used it =)
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline theferenc

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 09:21:10 »
I just recently picked up a CST L-TracX, and for the first few days, I had the click/drag issue blue mentioned.

But really, you do get used to it. It also depends on the trackball though. The CST has HUGE buttons, so it's easy to hit them regardless of where your fingers are on the ball.

Since you said hitting with your thumb, I assume you have a "fingers" trackball, rather than a thumb model. Good choice!
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline turbocharged

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 09:56:07 »
I use this when tuning my car on the street. My only laptop with a RS232 port has a broken trackpad and conventional mice don't work to well in the car. I don't have to worry about the clicking down on the trackball though...it is for cursor movement only...has the conventional left and right click buttons for clicking purposes.

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 December 2010, 09:59:11 by turbocharged »
| Deck Legend Fire (MX Blacks) | KBC Poker X (MX Reds) | Cherry G80-11900LTMUS (MX Clears) |  Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (MX "Ghetto Reds")
| IBM Model M 1391401 (BS) | Goldtouch GTC-0033 Keypad (MX Browns) |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 10:05:27 »
I enjoy these:

But not these:

I also enjoy these:

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 10:10:41 »
I just bought the cheap kensington with the scrollwheel. Liking it so far. If only it had a 'back' button...
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 13:59:50 »
I use the trackball built into my laptop, along with the one in my M5-2, the one in my Compaq MX1800, and a few others.

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline RoboKrikit

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 14:50:20 »
Quote from: iMav;265700
I enjoy these:

Show Image
Show Image

But not these:

Show Image

I felt the same way when I got the newer gray version.  Was it the ball?  It seemed a lot rougher and kinda grinded compared to the old model, for me.

I wonder if the one that just came out recently feels better.
Lovely day for a GUINNESS

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 14:54:37 »
Quote from: RoboKrikit;265814
I felt the same way when I got the newer gray version.  Was it the ball?  It seemed a lot rougher and kinda grinded compared to the old model, for me.

I wonder if the one that just came out recently feels better.

It's the buttons.  I like to right click with my ring finger.  Having a "spot" for the three fingers is what I like.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 15:15:48 »
I use the kensington slimblade. The kensington orbit is pretty good too.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Earth Worm Jim

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 15:46:57 »
Logitech marble for me.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 18:45:41 »
Yes, they take awhile. I'm using my Kesington Expert Mouse for a bit to see if I can still get used to it. Any new input device will feel strange the first few days you use it.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 December 2010, 21:49:24 »
The trick with trackballs, if this sort of thing bothers you, really is to click the button with your fingers off the ball.

One thing I really dislike about regular mice is that it's nearly impossible to actuate the switch without moving the mouse.  When trying to draw things with a mouse is a huge annoyance.  With a trackball I just remove my fingers from the ball and click the button.

Naturally it needs to be a trackball with a fairly good base, which all of today's desktop models are.  The hand-held and laptop models from years ago are not good for this.

For click-drag I never really have a problem.  I use Kensington Expert Mouse 64325 and Logitech Trackman Marble every day.  If it bothers you, the software that comes with both models have a click-drag feature that let you click-drag without holding the button down but I haven't felt the need to use it.  I use both trackballs with the operating system's built-in mouse drivers with no problems at all.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 December 2010, 21:51:42 by aegrotatio »
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:25:51 »
I know a lot of trackballs from IBM have that sort of "click-lock" feature. It's very useful for playing Solitaire when you drag cards around.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:29:57 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;266354
I know a lot of trackballs from IBM have that sort of "click-lock" feature. It's very useful for playing Solitaire when you drag cards around.

Yes, click and hold for both right and left buttons, as well as regular buttons.

This eliminates the need for playing around with software.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT