Author Topic: Wire connecting USB to board on my ducky snapped :(  (Read 1355 times)

Offline xshockz

Wire connecting USB to board on my ducky snapped :(
« on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 11:35:15 »
I was taking apart my ducky shine 3 to clean up a big spill I had yesterday and I wasn't careful enough and one of the wires snapped. Would I be able to get a new connector? Someone has to sell them right? I dont think the one piece is long enough to strip and solder. Any help would be great :)

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/IJeKb

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
Re: Wire connecting USB to board on my ducky snapped :(
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 11:46:04 »
i believe you can cut a little bit of rubber of both ends of the broken wire off, then solder them together, but i'm not very sure.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 11:54:10 »
i believe you can cut a little bit of rubber of both ends of the broken wire off, then solder them together, but i'm not very sure.

That would work, but I'd suggest sending a PM to Zeal to get his opinion.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:43:19 »
what mashby said. gah... i don't understand how you guys spill stuff on your keyboards, i never ever put drinks/liquids near electrical components

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 16:46:57 »
not even
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline keyton

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 17:35:23 »
Mmmm...beeeer

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 19:16:38 »
Still think more keyboards should use Azio/Dearmo/Aula-style switch covers to increase spill and debris resistance. Seems like it'd be a good feature to have for not much extra cost.

Actually, one of the main reasons why I don't buy more expensive keyboards is that I regard it as more or less inevitable that I will sometimes spill things into my keyboard. I live in a small apartment, so my desk is also my table...but even if it weren't, I drink coffee pretty much constantly, and am also at the computer pretty much constantly (since it's both work and recreation for me), so I would lose ~90% of both my productivity and spare time if I went away from the computer every time I had coffee. I would be a lot more open to the idea of, say, a fancy custom keyboard, if I knew that it won't die the first time I get up a) without realizing that the cord of my headphones has gotten wrapped around a full cup of coffee, and b) simultaneously, without realizing that my headphones are still on my head. This sort of thing happens a lot to me...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 19:48:13 »
With a steady enough hand, you could patch that back together.  You could also cut all wires to equal length and buy that plug and the pins you need from mouser to redo the termination completely, too. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 05:19:16 »
In the first and last photos you can see rectangular holes near the socket end (away from the wire end) of the plug.  There is a small metal thing in there that stops the metal contact from being pulled out the wire side.

You can (gently) press a small screwdriver into that hole to depress the metal thing, while gently pulling the wire end out.  The entire connector, wire remains included, should pull out.

Possibly you can find another similar plug and repeat the process to get a longer bit of wire, then solder it on, push it into the original plug, and you should be good to go.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ