Author Topic: Poker II Plate Question/Help  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Dakine234

• Live, Love, ALOHA
Poker II Plate Question/Help
« on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 20:06:14 »
Aloha everyone,

I know this has already probably been discussed and iʻve looked thru the threads but havent found an answer, if u have a link to a thread or anything please let me know.  Anyway, i have a stock poker II and wanted to get a plate for it.  Iʻve been looking at gons plate http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/accessaries/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html#/1_anodizing-hardgrey_dark_grey_only_black_steel_bolts since its readily available but am open to any alternatives (beast plate, etc.). 
But wanted to make sure that this will fit my poker?  And to install, it would require me to removing the keycaps and then the switches, installing the plate and reinstalling the switches and keycaps?  Also are PCB mount stabilizers an option on this plate?  Still learning about the plate and if you have an extra one laying around or a link to one that might be better than Gons please let me know!  Thank you very much
Poker II mx blues + Custom Poker X with mx clears, blues and old blacks

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
Re: Poker II Plate Question/Help
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 21:50:14 »
I am also wondering the same thing...anyone got any info on this?
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 03:12:29 »
Aloha everyone,

I know this has already probably been discussed and iʻve looked thru the threads but havent found an answer, if u have a link to a thread or anything please let me know.  Anyway, i have a stock poker II and wanted to get a plate for it.  Iʻve been looking at gons plate http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/accessaries/17-universal-frameplate-for-60.html#/1_anodizing-hardgrey_dark_grey_only_black_steel_bolts since its readily available but am open to any alternatives (beast plate, etc.). 
But wanted to make sure that this will fit my poker?  And to install, it would require me to removing the keycaps and then the switches, installing the plate and reinstalling the switches and keycaps?  Also are PCB mount stabilizers an option on this plate?  Still learning about the plate and if you have an extra one laying around or a link to one that might be better than Gons please let me know!  Thank you very much

I am also wondering the same thing...anyone got any info on this?
This will fit a poker 2 but it isnīt compatible of opening switches such as the beast plate. To install the plate you have to desolder every switch, remove them from there original plate (if there is one) and then put them in the new plate and solder it back to the pcb. And by the looks of it, it does support PCB stabilizers!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 14:13:00 »
Firstly, the Poker II has a steel plate already. Why change it? Secondly, the GON plate will fit, but REQUIRES pcb mount stabilisers, whereas the PokerII has plate mounted stabs, so you'd have to also buy some pcb stabs. To change the plate you have to remove the keycaps, unmount the board from the case, desolder all the LEDs (if your board has them) and all the switches, change the plate, resolder all the switches and the the LEDs. It's a lot of work.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 15:01:10 »
Firstly, the Poker II has a steel plate already. Why change it? Secondly, the GON plate will fit, but REQUIRES pcb mount stabilisers, whereas the PokerII has plate mounted stabs, so you'd have to also buy some pcb stabs. To change the plate you have to remove the keycaps, unmount the board from the case, desolder all the LEDs (if your board has them) and all the switches, change the plate, resolder all the switches and the the LEDs. It's a lot of work.
My thought exactly! I installed the beast plate and it took me approx 5-6 hours, but Iīm also not a master dolder guy either. Appart from the GON plate, beast plate makes a difference atleast, but Iīm not sure if I would do the same decision again!

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 15:22:50 »
mkawa has Titanium plates w/ notches up here

http://www.geekhackers.org/collections/keyboard-accessories/products/60-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

I think we still need a few more orders to cover the sheet so they can be cut. The Winkeyed option should fit Poker II if you desolder your Capslock LED. If we get super super lucky with timing, we might make it in time for the smallfry kits to be anodized and sneak in a couple 60's in that batch. Unlikely, but titanium looks cool too.

Jump on in, maybe we can reach sheet qty sooner rather than later.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 16:45:39 »
mkawa has Titanium plates w/ notches up here

http://www.geekhackers.org/collections/keyboard-accessories/products/60-keyboard-titanium-switch-plates-with-notches-for-switch-disassembly

I think we still need a few more orders to cover the sheet so they can be cut. The Winkeyed option should fit Poker II if you desolder your Capslock LED. If we get super super lucky with timing, we might make it in time for the smallfry kits to be anodized and sneak in a couple 60's in that batch. Unlikely, but titanium looks cool too.

Jump on in, maybe we can reach sheet qty sooner rather than later.
Wow that plate is so overpriced--- I remember buying my beast plate for 15$ which fits perfectly over a poker and has the same features...

Offline cjhard

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 17:39:35 »
You were able to get a titanium plate precision cut for only $15 shipped? The GB I found in a quick search from The_Beast lists it at $75.

Offline redskull

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 September 2014, 23:30:52 »
edit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 00:55:59 by redskull »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 04:09:51 »
You were able to get a titanium plate precision cut for only $15 shipped? The GB I found in a quick search from The_Beast lists it at $75.
Welp it was aftermarket price so I donīt really know. But for an example take a look at this recent gb: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51565.0 25$ + 10$ shipping

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 08:17:08 »
You guys are comparing aluminum/stainless steel versus titanium. Material and cutting prices won't be the same.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 08:27:10 »
You guys are comparing aluminum/stainless steel versus titanium. Material and cutting prices won't be the same.
Right! My bad, but I canīt really see the point of buying a 100+$ plate just cause itīs made in titanium...

Offline cjhard

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 08:47:17 »
It affects the feel of the keys in a way more noticeable than stickers, and has a very nice finish, and refracts light in a very pretty way. Also it is comparatively light weight.

My main reason is for bragging rights. I will have a keyboard with a titanium plate that has been cut with freaking laser beams. That is really cool. With as much overtime as I've been getting when the GB started, it was well worth $100 to me.