Author Topic: Full-size ortholinear layout  (Read 5534 times)

Offline andred

Full-size ortholinear layout
« on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 18:09:46 »
I've been thinking about this full-size ortho layout.

256648-0

keyboard-layout-editor.com permalink

What I like about it:

• The center 10-key puts nice ergonomic distance between the left and right hands.
  • The key conservation with the number row 7/8/9 overlapping the number pad puts a smile on my face.
  • Similarly, the hyphen/underscore key and the numpad minus key are coalesced in a natural location.
  • Things are more or less where you would expect them to be if you are used to a full-size standard keyboard.

Have you tried a layout like this before? I'm eager for feedback before I commit to this project.

I'm new to orthos and custom keyboards. I think this could be built with BFO-9000, but frankly I'm not sure. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Offline kajahtaa

Re: Full-size ortholinear layout
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 20:44:06 »
Seems cool.

You should make it.... with crazy bezels

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 13:56:39 »
The layout really should be as wide as possible for the main letter keys.  All that right hand stuff would work just as well in the middle.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 15:37:23 »
This is going to depend a lot on what you want to do on the board but you asked for feedback so here's mine - it looks great but I couldn't live with ( ) - and = being in weird places while typing (- two rows up especially) and having Caps Lock on such an accessible key is just silly.  Personally my Caps is Backspace as I mainly type (stolen from Colemak), other people prefer it as Control (as on HHKB and old UNIX boards)

Also while you could build it the BFO-9000 it cuts after 9 so unless you're putting both PCBs in the same case your numberpad won't be usable with one hand as it has no enter + or - keys.  Also note that the BFO-9000 is made for all 1u caps to to get the two 2u (spacebars?) you'll need POS keycaps so you'll be limited to standard colours.

Again whether any of this matters depends entirely on what you will do so if these 'problems' aren't to you go for it :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 17:33:14 »
I'd learn how to create a keymap.c and build a levinson

https://keeb.io/collections/frontpage/products/levinson-lets-split-w-led-backlight

Offline galaxymagiccube

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 08:51:18 »
how about this ?

Offline butre

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 14:02:51 »
numpad 7/8/9 and number row 7/8/9 are different keys that send different commands to the operating system, fyi.  I would consider shifting the whole numpad down a row and putting a num lock in there somewhere, forget about saving 3 keys, you won't even remember the extra dollar worth of switches in a week

Offline galaxymagiccube

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 09:52:27 »
here we go