Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 397650 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 18:38:35 »
I absolutely cannot recommend this enough if you can find it. I love pale ales and pilsners and never thought you could get the crispness of a pilsner to shine through the hops of an IPA but man, they got it right here. So so good, and not really hoppy at all, very clean and crisp. I think that 7.5% is a lie because it's far to drinkable. Sucks it's seasonal, gonna have to stock up  :p
41601-0

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 23:53:31 »
For all you SoCal locals, I am planning on having a small get together at a local brewery on 11/9/13.  This will serve a double purpose.  #1 is to meet and drink beer.  #2 is to celebrate Nubs getting a job!

For those that plan to attend, please let me know your choice for a brewery to meet at in the North County. 

My choice is Stone in Escondido, mainly because of the amount of space, and that they have a full restaurant so that we can get awesome food to go with our beer. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 November 2013, 00:29:56 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #352 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 00:14:46 »
I absolutely cannot recommend this enough if you can find it. I love pale ales and pilsners and never thought you could get the crispness of a pilsner to shine through the hops of an IPA but man, they got it right here. So so good, and not really hoppy at all, very clean and crisp. I think that 7.5% is a lie because it's far to drinkable. Sucks it's seasonal, gonna have to stock up  :p
(Attachment Link)

That's right up my alley, I might have to try that.

btw, If you like wheat beer, try Trout Slayer (Big Sky Brewing from Montana) next time you're at BevMo, best wheat beer I've ever tasted.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 00:20:19 »
I'll need to take a look and see what breweries are nearby Badwrench and see which ones aren't a total PITA to get to from OC.  Bootlegger's is a fun brewery in Fullerton if you want to come down south a little.

That's right up my alley, I might have to try that.

btw, If you like wheat beer, try Trout Slayer (Big Sky Brewing from Montana) next time you're at BevMo, best wheat beer I've ever tasted.

I'll have to give that a shot, but Avery White Rascal is still by far my favorite witbier I've had to date.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 18:16:12 »
I don't drink often but when I do I like leinies honeyweiss. A good friend of mine and my cousin both are huge beer snobs and know all the good beers but not me ha

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #355 on: Wed, 06 November 2013, 18:48:16 »
Picked up a $5 bottle of Pliny the Elder along with two local beers.  A Mammoth Brewing Company 2013 Owens Valley Wet Harvest Ale, a black IPA this year, and a Figueroa Brewing Company Stagecoach Stout.  There was another beer I almost picked up since it was a Russian Imperial Stout, one of my favorite styles, but I had to pass.  All that reminds me, I need to get some of my classics again, Old Rasputin, Victory Storm King, Unibroue La Fin du Monde, and Avery Maharajah. 

Offline Morwrath

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 09:22:48 »
Got 4x 0,6l beer-glasses from Nøgnø Ø last week, together with a Nøgne Ø bottleopener.
They don't mess around, the glass is so tick that I doubt I will be able to break it at all :D
Same with the bottleopener, huuuuge thing that is made out of one solid piece of steel.

Ducky Mini w/ white LEDs [Browns]

WTB SLUSHY RED CC/BROBOT!!
Got 3D and Hack Orange for trade, both MX.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 16:11:23 »
Had a sampling of various Lindeman's Framboise and Samuel Smith's at work today. Got to taste most of what was being sampled and got one of these to take home :)

Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline missalaire

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:35:35 »
Drinking some Bud Light Lime for the first time ever.

Nothing terribly exciting taste-wise, but it goes down real easy and smooth.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 19:45:13 »
the only bud light worth drinking (imo) is bud light wheat. but i think they stopped making them.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Doppelganger

• Ducky DK9008G2 Pro, PBT dye subs - Cherry Browns
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:12:22 »
Ahh, I found an amazing thread that I need to keep an eye on  :cool: Someone above posted an oatmeal stout and I enjoy a good one myself. There is a local micro brewery in Tampa Bay, FL USA that does a great oatmeal stout every now and then. I am loving living in this area, because microbreweries are popping up like weeds! Good weeds though. If anyone in this thread happens to be in Florida, make your way to Cigar City Brewing and Rapp Brewing Company. You won't be disappointed if you're into good beer.
- There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 12:49:54 »
...Cigar City Brewing...

Man, I LOVE their beer.  I wish we got it in Texas. At GABF the lines for Cigar City were the longest there, every day.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 12:51:14 »
Say hello to my little friend! :)
45461-0

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #363 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:44:59 »
My eyes doth deceive me – is there a missing decimal point, or is that beer 32% ABV!? Speaking of beer, what is that? I love the brown paper wrapping. So minimal. A nod to the olden days of buying liquor at the LCBO.

Topre ReɅlforce 86UB   |   Razer DeathAdder Black Edition

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #364 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:49:25 »
My eyes doth deceive me – is there a missing decimal point, or is that beer 32% ABV!? Speaking of beer, what is that? I love the brown paper wrapping. So minimal. A nod to the olden days of buying liquor at the LCBO.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:50:59 »
Your eyes do not deceive – that, my friend, is Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

Not a valid vimeo URL
It was $85 at my local liquor store.  I have a good friend (and beer geek) coming in town tonight.  We've long wanted to try it.  They also released a "Sink the Bismark", which was 40% or something crazy.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 18:51:20 »
nubbs knows what's up! :)

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #367 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:01:06 »
$65/bottle? I guess that's a bargain compared to Sam Adams Utopias, which went on sale in my city today. Sold over the phone, and gone in 2 hours. A bit of a novelty if you ask me. I decided to pass on it.

Biggest recent beer splurge: $20 for a bottle of Westvleteren XII at one of my favourite bar haunts:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/westvleteren-12-xii/4934/
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/313/1545

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:05:26 »
I have a hard time spending more than $10 a bottle for beer.  I love buying cheap bottles from local breweries and watching them improve.  Some don't, so I nix them from my try list, but I'll swing in and grab a handful of $3-5.50 22oz bottles just to give them a shot.  Sometimes you find something awesome doing that.  I just find a lot of the $15+ stuff is overrated or good, but not worth the premium when there's something almost as good for a fraction of the price.

Offline Fuzzy Dunlop

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:25:40 »
Westvleteren XII is the ClickClack of beers. Great product, but expensive due to rarity, not real cost. I've seen it at other bars for as much as $60/bottle. $20 was far enough below my pain threshold to justify, if only once. I'm not sorry I tried Westie, it really is an outstanding beer. Worth $20/bottle? Probably not.

For $8.50/bottle at the same bar, I could have had St. Bernardus Abt 12, which is brewed at a monastery 10km away from Westvleteren, using water from the same river and similar hops. I would go as far to say that the St. Bernardus would be indistinguishable from Westie in an ABX test.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 19:48:57 »
I have a hard time spending more than $10 a bottle for beer.  I love buying cheap bottles from local breweries and watching them improve.  Some don't, so I nix them from my try list, but I'll swing in and grab a handful of $3-5.50 22oz bottles just to give them a shot.  Sometimes you find something awesome doing that.  I just find a lot of the $15+ stuff is overrated or good, but not worth the premium when there's something almost as good for a fraction of the price.

Don't get me wrong, I do that too.  I have a closet full of beers I'm aging at room temp, and two full beer fridges full over other things I'm aging.  :)  Sad to say that most of it doesn't get too much better with time, but it certainly gets more interesting in many cases.

As for Westvleteren XII, I love that! A bit easier to get now days, which is nice.  The first time I had it, a friend brought me a bottle from Belgium.  It's overrated because of unrealistic expectations perhaps, but a fine beer.  Some folks I know that have been to Belgium every year or two since the early 90s claim that it's not as good as it once was.  Impossible to tell now I guess, even if you compared to cellared beer which would be totally different.

Utopias: Wow, I had a few ounces of this at GABF last month.  Crazy.  I'd certainly buy it if I could ever find it at retail prices.  Sadly it usually bought and resold for $400+.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 20:18:15 »
Utopias isn't that hard to get :p

Same with Westy, $20 a bottle is about retail. Also Fuzzy, Westy yeast is what really makes that beer shine.

Now Cantillon's Fou Foune, that I will pay wine prices for ;)

Also aggiejy, Sink the Bismark was borderline undrinkable. I managed it but a few of the guys from the bottle share just shot it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 November 2013, 20:20:31 by jwaz »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #372 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 20:56:51 »
Utopias isn't that hard to get :p

Same with Westy, $20 a bottle is about retail. Also Fuzzy, Westy yeast is what really makes that beer shine.

Come to Texas and tell me that, punk!  But no, Utopias sells so high for older aged stuff on resell.  I don't think it's very common for people to buy and flip right away.  Save a year or two and price goes up.  Plus, the containers themselves sell for a lot on ebay.  (This year they seem to have gone to a different style... doesn't look copper.)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 21:17:26 »
Got myself my favorite stein and a good local ale to wet my whistle while I kill zombies tonight.

45497-0

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #374 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 21:37:02 »
Ho ho ho

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 21:55:13 »
Ho ho ho

Show Image

I just had some of that last night.  Not bad, but the Alesmith winter ale is way better.

And I definitely recommend grabbing the Trader Joe's Seasonal Ale.  It's pretty good this year.  And where else can you get a $5 bottle of Unibroue?

Offline theMANtonio

• Go Hawks
« Reply #376 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 21:59:50 »
Grabbed a brew and watched Return of the Jedi  :thumb:

Flying Monkey from American Brewing in Edmonds, WA:
45501-045503-1

Offline Doppelganger

• Ducky DK9008G2 Pro, PBT dye subs - Cherry Browns
« Reply #377 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 13:35:24 »
...Cigar City Brewing...

Man, I LOVE their beer.  I wish we got it in Texas. At GABF the lines for Cigar City were the longest there, every day.

Nice! Cigar City is definitely gaining not only national but world attention. These guys are expanding too fast for their own good lol. I can't even go to the tasting room on a Friday or Saturday night anymore, without waiting 15 minutes for a beer. I have a friend that lives in Texas that loves him some CC also. He introduced me to a good brewery you guys have there, Rahr & Sons. Good stuff!
- There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Offline FRQ

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 23 November 2013, 17:48:05 »
Westvleteren XII is the ClickClack of beers. Great product, but expensive due to rarity, not real cost. I've seen it at other bars for as much as $60/bottle. $20 was far enough below my pain threshold to justify, if only once. I'm not sorry I tried Westie, it really is an outstanding beer. Worth $20/bottle? Probably not.

For $8.50/bottle at the same bar, I could have had St. Bernardus Abt 12, which is brewed at a monastery 10km away from Westvleteren, using water from the same river and similar hops. I would go as far to say that the St. Bernardus would be indistinguishable from Westie in an ABX test.

Those are some scary prices! I always knew there was quite a bit of mark up on Westvleteren abroad, but jeez. What's the going rate for WV 12 over there?

I believe last time I bought some, I paid about 80€ for 48 bottles. St. Bernardus 12 is readily available in supermarkets for about 6€/four bottles. I clearly need to start a smuggling operation.  :eek:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #379 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 12:00:31 »
Today's taste:  Samuel Adams "Tetravis".  Belgian Quad with notes of Currants, Raisins, and Clove. 

45689-0

Update:

This is quite nice.  I tend to go toward the darker and stronger beers, but this has just enough oak to make it for me.  Flavor is very soft, with an initial flavor of fruit and oak, with a nice texture that fills the mouth without being boozy or malty.  Lingering flavor is lightly spiced with a trace of the currant.  Definitely recommended  :thumb:

45716-1
Sorry for the poor focus.  I wanted to show the color without a flash and the wifey has the tripod at church. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:34:54 by Badwrench »

Offline tgujay

« Reply #380 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:07:01 »
Y'all beer snubs got some room for a cider lover?
Gotta collect them all

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #381 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 13:29:13 »

Oh course, I am an equal opportunist when it comes to alcohol.  I just enjoyed some Angry Orchard Cinnamon cider just the other day.  Reminded me of having mott's cinnamon apple sauce as a kit, but with booze!  :thumb:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 19:24:05 »
i don't know why i let jwaz convince me to drink nice beers. the next day i always have the worst hangovers. i'll stick to olympia, and he and haata can drink all the dark beers they want.
at least he doesn't mind drinking **** beer with me when we go out from time to time, and i even got him drunk enough to have a shot of fernet on friday :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 19:25:38 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tgujay

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 10:04:31 »

Oh course, I am an equal opportunist when it comes to alcohol.  I just enjoyed some Angry Orchard Cinnamon cider just the other day.  Reminded me of having mott's cinnamon apple sauce as a kit, but with booze!  :thumb:

That just so happens to be the last thing I  bought, boy were they good.
Gotta collect them all

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #384 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:45:30 »
VB mate.. Drink enough cans of this & you can.....
- Filco MJ2 104 MX Brown -

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #385 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 00:48:02 »
Build a BOAT!!! :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #386 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 04:23:01 »
Build a BOAT!!! :)

Reminds me of one of my favourite beers:

It's a microbrew made for a viking style restaurant. Mmmmm, honey beer.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 06:35:48 »
Nice.. Lots of unique brews in this thread. It's making me thirsty

Offline missalaire

« Reply #388 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 18:54:53 »

Drinking one of these right now. I haven't tried as many ciders as I have beers, but this is probably one of the better ciders I've had.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 19:31:02 »

Drinking one of these right now. I haven't tried as many ciders as I have beers, but this is probably one of the better ciders I've had.

Show Image

Hmmm where can I get that?
Gotta collect them all

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #390 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 20:10:35 »

Took this last week but I'm just now drinking the rest of the 12 pack.

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #391 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:35:35 »
Anyone tried a ****ens Cider?
My gf loves one in the morning!!!  ;)

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #392 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:37:09 »

That's one hell of a girlfriend you got there. ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #393 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 21:43:37 »

No.  Just no.

Offline n0rdlad

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 04:05:28 »
Sorry. I had to.. Cant even reference a bita Charles D1ckens Cider without being censored round
hya haha

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #395 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 17:26:17 »
Thanks for the suggestion Nubbinator.  The 2013 Trader Joe's Vintage ale is def. better than last years.  Quite smooth. 

46740-0

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:05:24 »
Still made by Unibroue, right?

I wasn't aware they had changed the recipe.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:08:20 »
Office is rocking Hopwork's seasonal Abominable on tap, think it's my new favorite winter ale

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #398 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:08:39 »

Yup.  I don't know why, but the 2012 wasn't nearly as good as this 2013. 

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 18:09:43 »

I think they do a slightly different recipe every year.  It's never tasted the same from year to year to me.