Author Topic: Topre Dome Replacements (Complete? Wasn't a GB tho.)  (Read 207182 times)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
Re: Topre Dome Replacements (Complete? Wasn't a GB tho.)
« Reply #450 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 06:35:33 »
oh here are photos that I forgot to include

Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #451 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 09:46:44 »
Are the springs just stock replacements?  They look to have a yellowish/copper tint to them?

« Reply #452 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:00:15 »
Are the springs just stock replacements?  They look to have a yellowish/copper tint to them?

My realforce 55g came with copper looking springs, my novatouch and hhkb has silver ones. I don’t really think it effects anything and they are interchangeable.  That’s mostly just a guess.

Offline drevyek

« Reply #453 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 10:24:04 »
Might just be the lighting. They could have some manner of coating, though.

Offline robbles

« Reply #454 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 11:22:20 »
Typing on an HHKB full of light domes right now. This thing is SNAPPY. I took out the hypersphere silence rings just to try out these things at peak tactility. I will probably put them back in at a later date because the snappiness does get fatiguing after a while. I left one ring on the right alt for comparison and it slightly reduces the harshness. Not sure how you heavy handed folks deal with the heavies.

The sound is also altered on the upstroke especially. The slider hits the top with much more force than before, replacing the trademark thock sound with more of a clack. This will be resolved when I put the hyperspheres back in though. Still sounds better than any Cherry board I've used. Overall these are a nice alternative to stock domes! Thanks for the pin and the smooth process Jchan!
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #455 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 13:29:22 »
Typing on an HHKB full of light domes right now. This thing is SNAPPY. I took out the hypersphere silence rings just to try out these things at peak tactility. I will probably put them back in at a later date because the snappiness does get fatiguing after a while. I left one ring on the right alt for comparison and it slightly reduces the harshness. Not sure how you heavy handed folks deal with the heavies.

The sound is also altered on the upstroke especially. The slider hits the top with much more force than before, replacing the trademark thock sound with more of a clack. This will be resolved when I put the hyperspheres back in though. Still sounds better than any Cherry board I've used. Overall these are a nice alternative to stock domes! Thanks for the pin and the smooth process Jchan!

I noticed the clack from the typing demo in this thread.  That is strange to hear out of a HHKB.  Would you say you prefer the new domes or are they just a nice alternative?

For example, I really like Gateron Greens, but there is no way I could type on them all day long.  I would consider them to be nice switches, and something I would use occasionally, but not superior to something like a Buckling Spring or Gateron Blacks.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 14:41:24 »

Yes. They are regular replacement springs. A lot of people have told me that they lost the springs.

The hhkb springs are this color as well. I believe the rf is the same, but I think the NT ones are silver?

Well, color doesn't matter too much honestly.

-

A lot of people are recommending silencing rings to make it more quiet on the up stroke. I'm wondering if there's an alternative to this and maybe if there could be something developed that could make it more quiet.

Anyways, open to suggestions!

Thanks for the reviews and feedback.

Offline robbles

« Reply #457 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 15:07:24 »

I noticed the clack from the typing demo in this thread.  That is strange to hear out of a HHKB.  Would you say you prefer the new domes or are they just a nice alternative?

For example, I really like Gateron Greens, but there is no way I could type on them all day long.  I would consider them to be nice switches, and something I would use occasionally, but not superior to something like a Buckling Spring or Gateron Blacks.

I'm gonna try the domes with no silencing rings for a couple weeks and report back, its too early to say if I prefer them over stock domes. For reference, I'm a web developer and type all day. First impressions though, they definitely make my HHKB feel fun again. I could see people who have always felt Topre was too light really enjoying these, or anyone trying to breathe some new life into an HHKB. It really is like a marriage of Topre and buckling springs.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 17:52:02 »
Well, this was fast - ordered my domes today, and they were shipped pretty much right away.
Props to jchan, can't wait for them to arrive  :thumb:

Offline tragedyfoundus

« Reply #459 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 22:31:57 »
I just installed the tester pack to see which I like the most and WOW, these are tactile as hell! It's pretty crazy. The tactile bump is very sharp, compared to the stock Topre domes which are a lot smoother. Can't decide which I like the most, 60g seems just a bit too heavy, on the other hand, the 45g feels just a bit too light. I definitely want those 55g variants you're working on. :thumb: The 60g variant is also pretty loud, even with KBD Silence-X rings installed. All in all, they're most impressive. Thanks to everyone involved!

Congrats to me on my first GeekHack post, woo. Here's to many more.  ;D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #460 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 17:49:12 »

I'm gonna try the domes with no silencing rings for a couple weeks and report back, its too early to say if I prefer them over stock domes. For reference, I'm a web developer and type all day. First impressions though, they definitely make my HHKB feel fun again. I could see people who have always felt Topre was too light really enjoying these, or anyone trying to breathe some new life into an HHKB. It really is like a marriage of Topre and buckling springs.

Yes definitely let us know later, I'm also on the fence about ordering these and I already have the hypersphere rings from before.

However I'm more of a light typist (I use 45g Topre and MX Brown regularly) so I'm also worrying about the fatiguing.  But if the hypersphere rings can fix the issue then maybe I could pull the trigger.

Please keep us updated, thank you!

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #461 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 00:23:37 »

Yes. They are regular replacement springs. A lot of people have told me that they lost the springs.

The hhkb springs are this color as well. I believe the rf is the same, but I think the NT ones are silver?

-

A lot of people are recommending silencing rings to make it more quiet on the up stroke. I'm wondering if there's an alternative to this and maybe if there could be something developed that could make it more quiet.

Taking a typical slider from what seen they have wings.. why not add a absorbing material to those wings? I would assume that increasing the surface area of the absorbing material would increase its ability to silence the impact.

Offline marre259

« Reply #462 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 11:26:41 »

-

For silencing you can do what gateron are doing with their silenced switches -- putting dampeners on the top and bottom of the legs. Although in order to not sacrifice stability you'd need to dampen the entire top part of the slider. I would assume that this would be much more difficult to manufacture than sliders and silencing rings individually.

I am in favor of built-in dampers mainly because you can dampen the switch without decreasing travel distance as you do with adding silencing rings.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 11:29:37 by marre259 »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #463 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:28:56 »
One project I think would be worthwhile is simply trying to perfect the topre-mx sliders.  The currently existing ones work, but they have issues such as wobble and inconsistency from slider to slider (also seem to be too loose for some keycaps).  It'd also be nice to see topre-mx spacebar stabilizers made since those were skipped over.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #464 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:37:19 »
One project I think would be worthwhile is simply trying to perfect the topre-mx sliders.  The currently existing ones work, but they have issues such as wobble and inconsistency from slider to slider (also seem to be too loose for some keycaps).  It'd also be nice to see topre-mx spacebar stabilizers made since those were skipped over.

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. The issues you mentioned are the exact reason why I'm still hesitant to buy the JTK/KBDfans sliders. I'm still kind of surprised that we have yet to see any real high quality samples. I wonder if they're hard to manufacture considering that the tolerances would have to be pretty much spot on in order to prevent any wobble etc. and make them on par with the stock Topre sliders.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #465 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 22:51:58 »

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. The issues you mentioned are the exact reason why I'm still hesitant to buy the JTK/KBDfans sliders. I'm still kind of surprised that we have yet to see any real high quality samples. I wonder if they're hard to manufacture considering that the tolerances would have to be pretty much spot on in order to prevent any wobble etc. and make them on par with the stock Topre sliders.

The kbdfans are made by Jtk. Just an FYI! The molding looks identical from their photos.

These are interesting ideas and I'll definitely investigate them.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #466 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 23:04:41 »
These are interesting ideas and I'll definitely investigate them.

The problem with the JTK sliders (aka kbdfans Adapter-X) is primarily that the Chinese are ignoring the tolerances of the original designs:

https://rix.li/topre-to-cherry-mx-adapter/

Note carefully that the JTK sliders have square corners on the 2u sliders, and this design shows the better and more compatible rounded corners (after what I can only assume was extensive testing). Also, this design has a nice design for spacebar stabilizers which I have not seen on the market at all.

The weird part is that the original design files are open source so it makes no sense why they would cut corners like this (or, in the case of this bad pun, "not cut corners.")

I assume also that the original design has a proper height and width tolerances to a) reduce wobble and b) ensure compatibility with GMK, SA, DSA, OEM, etc. Reports are that the novatouch sliders are too short and the JTK sliders are tall enough but are too skinny, thus more wobbly on the 1u sliders.

If you can solve that I'd pay a premium for better made sliders. JTK and Novatouch are close but no cigar.

Here's a review that explains some of the issues: https://imgur.com/a/CBmWX#RQmRf4o

I should also note that even though you can replace the sliders with JTK sliders, you still need to drill the 2u housings for compatibility with SA keysets because of the extra stems on the left and right side of the cap will slam into the housing. Novatouch got around this problem by modifying their stem housings to add holes on either side of the stem so the extra keycap stems can just poke through.

Don't get me started on spacebar compatibility issues.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 23:16:09 by amoswetherbee »

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #467 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 23:24:57 »
Another option is that you could improve the slider design by building silencing directly into the slider OR the housing rather than introducing silencing rings. Rings throw off tolerances. You could aborb more sound by having two sound deadening materials hitting each other on the thock.

The current JTK sliders are reportedly made of POM. This is the ideal material (when using plastic) due to low wear and low coefficient of friction. Not sure about sound attenuation though.

According to this thread the housings, unfortunately, are made of ABS: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26646.0

ABS is not as durable and is not as good at handling friction which is likely why the switches come lubed from the factory.

It would be nice to have replacement housings in POM as well, or go completely nuts and do replacement sliders + housings in a whole new material like metal alloy with a lower coefficient of friction and lower wear rate.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 04:55:41 by amoswetherbee »

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #468 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 00:05:01 »
Hey jchan, thanks for all the hard work on these, I've had them in my fc660c for about a week now and they're fantastic. I still can't believe how tactile they are.

That said, even the light ones are a bit on the heavy side, I hope there will be an even lighter version in the works at some point.

Offline lunr

« Reply #469 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 16:59:05 »
Just wondering if anyone not get a topre pin in their order? I didn't get one unfortunately :(

Offline robbles

« Reply #470 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:01:54 »
Ordered in the first 2 minutes. Got an FC660 pin. Gave it to my coworker because he has the real version :thumb:

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #471 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:29:37 »
Just wondering if anyone not get a topre pin in their order? I didn't get one unfortunately :(

You would've only gotten a pin if you ordered during that weekend (Friday - Sunday).

If you didn't receive one, email support@keyclack.com with your order information.

Offline lunr

« Reply #472 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:49:19 »
Well I'm in Canada so there was the whole international shipping thing. I emailed on the 11th for a quote where as the same day, the reddit post you made on r/mechmarket said all BKE orders will receive a pin. I waited till the 13th (Never got a reply back) when I received the email regarding about the USPS first class rate was added into your system which I ordered on the same day. Sooo, some what scratching my head.

Anyways not a big deal. I am hoping you will make a even more lighter version.

You would've only gotten a pin if you ordered during that weekend (Friday - Sunday).

If you didn't receive one, email support@keyclack.com with your order information.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #473 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 19:01:31 »
Well I'm in Canada so there was the whole international shipping thing. I emailed on the 11th for a quote where as the same day, the reddit post you made on r/mechmarket said all BKE orders will receive a pin. I waited till the 13th (Never got a reply back) when I received the email regarding about the USPS first class rate was added into your system which I ordered on the same day. Sooo, some what scratching my head.

We are working on a lighter version (lighter than the current Light), and a "medium" weight, in between the current Light and Heavy, so I believe we'll have a total of 4 weights available.

Super Light - Light - Medium - Heavy

--

I've already requested some samples, but I think we'll see them early 2018.

Offline lunr

« Reply #474 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 22:00:30 »
Nice!  :thumb:

We are working on a lighter version (lighter than the current Light), and a "medium" weight, in between the current Light and Heavy, so I believe we'll have a total of 4 weights available.

--

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #475 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 22:57:29 »

--

fantastic news, super stoked, thanks jchan!

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #476 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 00:38:27 »
Anyone knows why my Caps-lock LED doesn't light up anymore after a dome swap? I did cut out a corner of the Caps-lock dome for the light to shine through.
Thanks.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #477 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 21:48:18 »
Anyone knows why my Caps-lock LED doesn't light up anymore after a dome swap? I did cut out a corner of the Caps-lock dome for the light to shine through.
Thanks.

Hmmmmm I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

Did the switch itself work?  For example when you turn caps lock on does it actually type capital letters?  Also did you flip the dip switch to swap caps lock with ctrl?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #478 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 12:31:09 »

--

I am very interested in super light. Thanks for working on more options! I really love the current 'light' option but a version that's a little lighter would be very nice to have too

Offline Hyde

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 13:07:18 »

--

I am very interested in super light. Thanks for working on more options! I really love the current 'light' option but a version that's a little lighter would be very nice to have too

How heavy would you say is the current "light" version?  Since people say it's heavier than Topre 45g so realistically would you say it's closer to MX Black kind of weight?

Offline robbles

« Reply #480 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 15:08:29 »

--

How heavy would you say is the current "light" version?  Since people say it's heavier than Topre 45g so realistically would you say it's closer to MX Black kind of weight?

After typing on the light version for over a week straight now, I hopped on to a board with MX Clears to compare. The light domes make Clears feel super light in comparison. They make Clears feel near linear. Hopefully that gives ya'll some perspective. I can't even imagine what the heavy version feels like.

Offline metalliccharles

« Reply #481 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 16:50:45 »
I am also very interested in some super lights.  I first tried using the lights for alpha/num and the heavies for mods and spacebar.  I found the heavies on the mods too heavy for my weak pinkies, so I switched out everything to lights.  But I disliked the light for the spacebar, so I ended up using heavies for spacebar and esc (because I hit esc like an eject button).  I went ahead and lubed the rails while I had the board open.  I've used this configuration for over a week now and really enjoy the tactility.  I still get a little fatigue in my pinkies after awhile.  But all in all, I don't think I could ever go back to the stock domes, really awesome upgrade!  Also, love the topre deskmat! :thumb: :thumb: 

Edit: Wanted to add, I ordered a vibration absorption mat because there's a good deal of vibration created from the upstroke of the spacebar with the heavy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 December 2017, 17:13:00 by metalliccharles »

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #482 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:11:19 »
Been on all Heavy Domes for over a week now, and since it seems not many people are using them I thought I'd share my experience.

They are WAY too freaking heavy for stock keycaps so I switched back to my Hi-pro caps and while it's still on the heavy side it feels amazing.

I'm definitely a fan! The tactile feel is great - a nice solid tactile bump which goes perfectly with the Hi-pro's. They also add a little extra thock, which sounds great!

All things considered, they are amazing for typing with hi-pro's, but without them I'd be fatigued in a couple minutes. I also wouldn't recommend them for gaming ever, unless you play your game of choice by slamming the keys with your fists... If that is how you play, then these will probably work great for you!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #483 on: Thu, 07 December 2017, 21:16:58 »
Been on all Heavy Domes for over a week now, and since it seems not many people are using them I thought I'd share my experience.

Show Image

They are WAY too freaking heavy for stock keycaps so I switched back to my Hi-pro caps and while it's still on the heavy side it feels amazing.
Show Image

I'm definitely a fan! The tactile feel is great - a nice solid tactile bump which goes perfectly with the Hi-pro's. They also add a little extra thock, which sounds great!

All things considered, they are amazing for typing with hi-pro's, but without them I'd be fatigued in a couple minutes. I also wouldn't recommend them for gaming ever, unless you play your game of choice by slamming the keys with your fists... If that is how you play, then these will probably work great for you!

It looks like your spacebar is oriented the wrong way. :) but thanks for the review. Glad you enjoy them

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #484 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 14:17:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

It looks like your spacebar is oriented the wrong way. :) but thanks for the review. Glad you enjoy them
Yes, it was aligned incorrectly and ruined all of my awesome artsy pictures unfortunately. :(

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 00:26:17 »
So I've got a set of light domes on my Type Heaven and heavies on my Realforce RGB with shinethrough caps from Max Keys as well as heavies on my Plum87 with Tai Hao Miami. The Plum with Tai Hao and heavy domes is my new favorite keyboard feeling. I don't if it's something in the caps or the build of the board itself, but it feels a bit softer than the Realforce RGB. Still just as tactile, but with a certain softness I find hard to describe.

Anyway, I'm loving these heavy domes a lot. Glad I got so many of them. Thanks for your work jchan!
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #486 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 01:39:16 »
Finally got around to installing my domes (light version), ultimately decided to put them in my HHKB.  I had stopped using it a while ago in favor of my Novatouch since the domes seemed to have become mushier/less tactile than my other topre boards (I suppose from overuse? Same thing happened with my 104U at work).  But these domes have definitely restored its status as my main board, though now I'm wondering if I should try some of the heavies in it (have one in the spacebar, but can't really extrapolate that to typing on an entire board of them).

Installation was actually a bit faster than I expected, tolerances on these are good and I didn't have any issues getting them all to line up next to each other/with the alignment notches like I thought may happen.  Only thing I noticed was that a few of them had a little bit of thin excess material in one of the notches on the sides, but it'd always pull off easily.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #487 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 15:17:13 »
Finally got around to installing my domes (light version), ultimately decided to put them in my HHKB.  I had stopped using it a while ago in favor of my Novatouch since the domes seemed to have become mushier/less tactile than my other topre boards (I suppose from overuse? Same thing happened with my 104U at work).  But these domes have definitely restored its status as my main board, though now I'm wondering if I should try some of the heavies in it (have one in the spacebar, but can't really extrapolate that to typing on an entire board of them).

Installation was actually a bit faster than I expected, tolerances on these are good and I didn't have any issues getting them all to line up next to each other/with the alignment notches like I thought may happen.  Only thing I noticed was that a few of them had a little bit of thin excess material in one of the notches on the sides, but it'd always pull off easily.

If you're interested in getting more domes, I'd hold off til our January stock. We have 3 new weights coming in.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #488 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 16:55:53 »
Hi All!

I have just spent the last four and a half hours streaming me installing these domes into my Novatouch! What can I say... These things are truely amazing. The tactility is doubled if not tripled compared to the originals and I have lubed the sliders! What I have always wanted! The only issue which I had was getting the springs to be seated right. I had to take the board apart a couple of times because keys werent working. However this is down to me being cack handed.

I made a short video from some clips from the build stream. It is in four parts (Stock Novatouch, Novatouch in Norbauer Case, Novatouch with BKE domes in original case and finally Novatouch in a Norbauer case with BKE Domes). I used heavy domes and they are dreamy!

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 December 2017, 16:58:44 by the pokemon kid »

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #489 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 19:15:28 »

If you're interested in getting more domes, I'd hold off til our January stock. We have 3 new weights coming in.
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier posting but what are the new weights?

Thanks!
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #490 on: Sun, 10 December 2017, 20:15:35 »

Thanks!

extra light, medium, and i don't remember what the last one is
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #491 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 10:22:48 »
So are the upcoming "extreme" weight domes the same as the current "heavy" domes? Or are they heavier?
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline child

« Reply #492 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 14:24:26 »
So I disassembled my Novatouch for the sample kit - just put a single light and heavy dome on the keys in the top right corner. Like someone already stated - they make the original domes feel linear. 55g seems to be very similar to RF87u 55g (perhaps not surprisingly), but I don't them side by side to compare. 65g seems a bit too heavy for my taste, but I really appreciate the tactility.

However, there is one thing that is puzzling me - I hear some noise at the point of releasing after bottoming out. It isn't loud, but very annoying - it does happen both with light and heavy BKEs, but not with original domes. It happens even if I release the key just about 1mm and do it very slowly. It sounds as if a spring was moving, but I paid special attention to align them properly. Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Offline DaBubbs

« Reply #493 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 21:03:51 »

Thanks!

extra light, medium, and i don't remember what the last one is
Gotcha... thanks  :thumb:

I think I will get a sample pack when the new ones come out. I absolutely love my 55g RF 87u but I am not sure 1) how I would like the extra tactility and 2) how I would like a 60g or a 65g.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
    • KeyClack
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 03:14:46 »
These are the weights:

Super Light (lighter than the current light)
Medium (in between light and heavy)
Extreme (limited, due to unknown demand, but can come back).

---

For those wondering, yes, we'll have sample packs specifically for these, and with the feedback I heard about samples, I'll also be dividing the sample packs into their individual packages as well (units of 5 still), and a bundle of the new ones for a discounted bundle price.

So now I'm wondering how heavy people want the extreme.
Currently, the heavy is rated at around 60g, and I was thinking that we should get something around 80g rating or so. But I fear keycaps will start flying off.

---

Lastly, we'll be taking out the 25 unit option, due to not much interest in it :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #495 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 03:17:54 »
i bet 65g or 70g would be popular

just due to the popularity of 78g springs for MX
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:13:31 »
Just installed mine on a Realforce 104UG high profile board. Wow, what a difference. I really like the extra tactility although it's much louder than before, and that's taking some getting used to. I think that has something to do with the top of the dome having a cutout, rather than being solid rubber.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #497 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 17:24:11 »

I am usually using either 85cN switches or 72g switches and the heavy topre domes are more fatiguing than those.

Offline salvanipour

« Reply #498 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 23:10:48 »

I am usually using either 85cN switches or 72g switches and the heavy topre domes are more fatiguing than those.

100%. I’ve typed on heavy Zealios and they’re nothing compared to these heavies. I think 60g is conservative and the force required is up there with buckling springs.

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #499 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 09:31:11 »
When will they be available for sale? I'm interested in some medium ones...