Author Topic: Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R  (Read 179525 times)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 01:13:19 »
Okay, after reading here I did measure the weigth again with the postal scale here in the office. The board right now got different keycaps on it, but I almost got the same results as before. So why is my Archiss heavier than ClickClack's?

Tomorrow I'll bring my Filco with me and weight that again too, that will reveal if the scale is off (I really doubt that) or if my board really is heavier for some unknown reason (I doubt that too). So......

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 09:16:11 »
Turns out I actually do have another problem with this keyboard.  I brought it in to work today, and it slides all around on my desk.  For some reason the right side works fine, but the left side (using stands) doesn't seem to grab at all and literally any amount of force moves the board.  It's a pretty annoying problem, but I figure I can just get a nice big mousepad to put under it like I have at home.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 09:32:18 »
Shelf liner does the trick for me.  With shelf liner, the question changes to "how do I move this damn thing?"

Offline aynjell

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 15:53:21 »
Any closer idea of when this will come out? Do we know if there is a mailing list to hop on to so we're notified on release day or shortly before? Also, am I right to expect an otaku version or a blank keyset available at aftermarket? I think the latter may be better so we can get flat win keys. I imagine the key sets will be harder to produce because of the led inserts, but even without the inserts, from the pictures in here I think it would acceptably notify the user of it's activation...

Either way, I can't wait to get a cherry brown tenkeyless.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...

Offline bakageta

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 16:01:09 »
Quote from: aynjell;276264
Any closer idea of when this will come out? Do we know if there is a mailing list to hop on to so we're notified on release day or shortly before? Also, am I right to expect an otaku version or a blank keyset available at aftermarket? I think the latter may be better so we can get flat win keys. I imagine the key sets will be harder to produce because of the led inserts, but even without the inserts, from the pictures in here I think it would acceptably notify the user of it's activation...

Either way, I can't wait to get a cherry brown tenkeyless.

Seems like the Ducky replacement sets would be ideal for this, the LED windows should be the same. It's pretty difficult to track down a non-printed Ducky set if you're not ordering an entire board, but finding the black on black or white on white isn't hard at all...

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 16:10:10 »
Still waiting patiently to get this keyboard. Really interested in it. :D
My life for Aiur!

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 17:41:05 »
Quote from: jdreamer;276281

I couldn't wait and ordered it from an asian website.  Really nice board, and I would advise you keep waiting instead of pulling the trigger on something else (not that I've actually tried anything else, but this thing is quite amazing).

Offline toast

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 18:03:36 »
Quote from: jdreamer;276281

Me too but I'm not good at the patient part.  Have had to restrain myself from ordering something else several times.  @.@

Offline jdreamer

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 20:01:13 »
Asian website? Link please, I may wanna order it too. :D

I'm from Aus by the way, so yea.
My life for Aiur!

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #209 on: Fri, 14 January 2011, 16:04:41 »
What a fantastic forum. In the past week or so I've gone from being someone who didn't know diddly squat about keyboards to being ready to buy a mechanical keyboard and having it down to a relatively short list of contenders.

One of the contenders would have been Filco but I obviously missed the boat there so I'm looking out for the Leopold. Does anyone know if the Leopold will be Cherry MX Brown only or will they come in variants?

The other keyboards I'm considering include the Das Keyboard, possibly a Deck keyboard, and a few other strays, but for space considerations I really wouldn't mind going for something with a little less width.

What am I currently using? An MS Natural Ergo 4000 that's got a spacebar about ready to go on me and a few other wonky issues.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #210 on: Fri, 14 January 2011, 16:20:22 »
Hi Eric, welcome to geekhack! =)

The Leopold I believe will come in different cherry flavors.
Have fun on your keyboard adventures. Don't forget tenkeyless boards
are addicting. As are mechanical keyboards in general, enjoy!

=)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline Bern

« Reply #211 on: Fri, 14 January 2011, 16:33:49 »
Quote from: Eric5676;278698
What a fantastic forum. In the past week or so I've gone from being someone who didn't know diddly squat about keyboards to being ready to buy a mechanical keyboard and having it down to a relatively short list of contenders.

I'm loving these forums as well.  It can be hard to find people who are honestly helpful sometimes.

I'm going to be building a new computer soon and part of the budget will definitely be going to a good mechanical keyboard.  Having a hard time trying to decide on the type though.  I had been looking at the Filco's before they stopped being sold and am now interested in the Leopold's.  Just need to get my hands on a set of blue and brown switches to see which I like more.

Offline Salash

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 14 January 2011, 22:45:44 »
I will wait patiently until they release an 'otaku' clone. It seems like the days are excruciatingly long.

Offline Apocrypha

« Reply #213 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 00:04:07 »
I'm contemplating this keyboard and the Razer Blackwidow. The latter I know I can get for about $85 CAD though and I'm not sure the differences are really that important to me.

Any insight on why this would be worth twice as much or so to me? (just a ballpark figure)
Core i7 920 @ 3.5GHz w/ Themalright Ultra-120 Extreme | Gigabyte EX58-DS4 | OCZ Gold 3x2GB DDR3-1666
ATI Radeon 5870 Cypress 1GB 850/1200 | Auzentech Bravura 7.1 w/ Logitech X-540 and Sennheisser PC-350
HAF 932 | Razer Blackwidow | Razer Imperator w/ SteelSeries mouse pad
Nexus One

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #214 on: Sat, 15 January 2011, 00:17:38 »
Quote from: Salash;278854
I will wait patiently until they release an 'otaku' clone. It seems like the days are excruciatingly long.

I am also patiently waiting! Even if I cannot fulfill my dream of having all blank keyboards (I want a blank white, also), I will be happy to know that I am supporting a devoted regional distributor of AWESOME.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 January 2011, 00:43:48 by digitalleftovers »
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 14:22:08 »
Quote from: NimbleRabit;276327
I couldn't wait and ordered it from an asian website.  Really nice board, and I would advise you keep waiting instead of pulling the trigger on something else (not that I've actually tried anything else, but this thing is quite amazing).

Even importing a Filco from The Keyboard Company out of the UK?  ;)

Supposedly the Filcos are going to be in stock this week. I'm not feeling terribly impatient...I'll be happy to wait for these Leopolds for a little bit if they really lose no ground to the Filcos.

And I'll probably save a bit of money to boot.

Put it another way: Any reasons I should pay the extra to import the Filco vs. waiting if I'm not dying with impatience?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2011, 14:27:07 by Eric5676 »

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #216 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 16:02:42 »
I actually took in most of this thread throughout the day.

If I read right, and I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth...The Leopolds ARE worth waiting for vs. spending the extra dough to try and import a Filco.

Do I gather that correctly or is there a lack of consensus even on that?

I think I've got it boiled down to blue cherry tenkeyless for myself although I haven't ruled out full sized completely.

I can import Filco from The Keyboard Company out of the UK and it's not going to be cheap or wait for the Leopolds.

Best to wait?

woody

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 16:28:12 »
Your choice. But the Filco is a safe route, no gambling involved.

Offline Eric5676

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 17:56:15 »
Quote from: woody;279544
Your choice. But the Filco is a safe route, no gambling involved.

Feels like a tough call either way although you're right about Filco being more established and a better known quantity.

EDIT: Probably will come down to cost and common sense. I can afford to be patient.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2011, 19:24:44 by Eric5676 »

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 22:00:09 »
Patient is a virtue.  I'm waiting to add a couple of Leopolds to my collection as well.  Hope they're worth the wait.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2011, 22:46:02 by reaper »
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 23:04:32 »
The removable USB cable alone is worth the wait.  (or, in my case, worth the extra expense of buying an Archiss now)

Offline NimbleRabit

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 06:38:45 »
Quote from: iMav;279686
The removable USB cable alone is worth the wait.  (or, in my case, worth the extra expense of buying an Archiss now)

The removable USB cable is the reason I decided to get an Archiss, and I'm extremely happy with my choice.  If you have to move your keyboard around at all that removable USB cable just makes things so much simpler.

Offline piotrek

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 09:08:34 »
Is nobody here annoyed by the cheap plastic-box sound of the Filco? ;/ For it's price it's pretty much a joke.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #223 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 10:58:14 »
Quote from: piotrek;279828
Is nobody here annoyed by the cheap plastic-box sound of the Filco? ;/ For it's price it's pretty much a joke.

I agree that the keys on Filcos suck. But when you replace them with something from cherry corp. they sound and feel much better.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 17 January 2011, 11:14:17 »
Quote from: piotrek;279828

Is "piotrek" German for "Microsoft Windows?"

Offline piotrek

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 06:15:45 »
It's not only me who thinks the Filcos sound very cheap and you pay around 150€ here for those.
Also argueing with a collector who buys basically any keyboard for any unreasonable price he gets his hands on seems out of context here : D.
You pay half the price for such a keyboard which makes it a completely different deal so the cheap sound of the Filco and the fact that they have crappy keycaps combined with a price of 150€ is a joke, period.

Offline overvu

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 11:44:47 »
I got my Archiss in today. Being my first mechanical keyboard, I find it very easy to accidentally press a button down (I got it in browns)

I also have the problem in which the left side doesn't grip my glass desk much. The right side is fine however.

Came with a sexy red escape key :)

Offline fartbutt

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:47:49 »
I apologize if this has been already answered, but will these come with blue switches as an option?

Also, can I use regular kbc keycaps on the caps lock and scroll lock keys?

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 24 January 2011, 13:54:19 »
Quote from: fartbutt;283996
I apologize if this has been already answered, but will these come with blue switches as an option?

yes they will have blue switches, also black and brown.  You can put any key on the LED kaycap spaces, but the LED will be blocked of course, unless that is what you are trying to accomplish.   :)
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline zerosxl

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 16:14:06 »
I have two questions about the build of the leopold.
1) If the keyboard is about an inch longer than the filco, are the leopold keys thicker than normal keys or are the filco keys just small?

2) Should I wait for EK to stock the leopold or should i go for the filcos from keyboardco.
Im very low on money so this is an issue as well. Keyboardco = $150 where as im hoping the leopolds on EK will be about $120

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #230 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 16:25:55 »
Quote from: fartbutt;283996

I am curious about this as well.  i recall a posting about having to mod Cherry space bars to fit the filco (please correct me if I am wrong) because of different spacing of the switches.  Anyone know if this is an issue with the leopold or archiss boards?
Keyboards:

Offline sixty

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 17:18:21 »
The Leopold/Archiss spacebar is a kind of its own. There is no other board that is compatible with them. Signature Plastics are unable to make them as well. So you will have to keep using the stock spacebar, or mod one.

Capslock and all other keys from Ducky will fit fine.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #232 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 18:59:34 »
Quote from: sixty;287946
Signature Plastics are unable to make them as well.

Unable, or just unreasonably expensive?
Keyboards:

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 31 January 2011, 22:57:41 »
Quote from: sixty;287946
The Leopold/Archiss spacebar is a kind of its own. There is no other board that is compatible with them. Signature Plastics are unable to make them as well. So you will have to keep using the stock spacebar, or mod one.

Capslock and all other keys from Ducky will fit fine.

This was exactly what i needed to know.

So i guess the leopold's are out of the question for me then. The black spacebar does not match my beige/white doubleshots :/

Anyways i grew fond of the cherry windowed keys (although i do admit it's a hassle getting the keys for them).
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline jamesonburt

I consider Archiss keyboard, originator of Filco and Leopold
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 09:26:03 »
From what I've read, the Japanese company
.   Archiss
designed the (almost identical) Leopold keyboard and (I gather)
also designed the Filco.
However, people very seldom own the originator brand keyboard
of all these keyboards,
.   Archiss
Although, this fellow bought an Archiss
.   http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=15349
and said
.   "Archiss I-T Touch AS-KB87C (aka Leopold FC200R)"
Archiss apprarently makes both English (87 key) and Japanese (91 key) models,
all tenkeyless that I've seen online,
so make sure your model number includes "87".
I've seen several Arhiss keyboards for sale, but saying
.   "used"
.   "second-hand"
so be wary!

I see model numbers from "http://rakuten.com",
which sells 30 million items from 30,000 Japanese stores,
a few carrying Archiss keyboards,
.   Archiss AS-KB87C (blues or "Click")
.   Archiss AS-KB87T (browns or "Tactile")
.   Archiss AS-KB87L (blacks or "Linear")
and the following Japanese 91 key keyboard, which you don't want,
having extra keys (including 4 not 3 on each side of spacebar
for Japanese JIP keyboard)
.   # Archiss AS-KB91T (browns)
To order an Archiss keyboard from Rakuten would cost something like
.    $95 keyboard
.    $65 shipping (if 7 pound shipping weight)
.    -------------------------------------
.    $160 Total

You can buy any of the 3 Archiss English ASCII models at
(avoid Japanese versions with "91" [keys] in model numbers)
.   http://en.item.rakuten.com/archisite/aa0297100/

In particular, you can buy the Cherry blue switch keyboards AS-KB87C at
.   http://en.item.rakuten.com/goodwill/4580106575825/

I hope to order an
.   Archiss AS-KB87C
with the Cherry blue switches,
but I haven't yet physically touched an Archiss keyboard.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 12:11:52 »
Quote from: zerosxl;287908
I have two questions about the build of the leopold.
1) If the keyboard is about an inch longer than the filco, are the leopold keys thicker than normal keys or are the filco keys just small?

2) Should I wait for EK to stock the leopold or should i go for the filcos from keyboardco.
Im very low on money so this is an issue as well. Keyboardco = $150 where as im hoping the leopolds on EK will be about $120

To answer your questions:
1) The Leopold is only 1/8" wider and longer, so they are essentially have the same footprint. It is no where near 1" different.
The Leopold keys are a hair thicker and a hair heavier, and usually make a "slightly" deeper sound.

2) From what I know the Archiss will be cheaper in price than the equivalent Filco and has some really nice features.

It is indeed true that the Archiss spacebar is different than most others, but replacement options could be a possibility ;)

Offline sixty

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 12:16:52 »
Quote from: clickclack;296771

It is indeed true that the Archiss spacebar is different than most others, but replacement options could be a possibility ;)

...if you own a factory of gnomes.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 14:06:06 »
Quote from: sixty;296773
...if you own a factory of gnomes.

I'm having a titanium made...thanks to imsto.

Offline sixty

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 14:13:44 »
Nice! How much did it set you back? I think a Titanium one would be the ultimate spacebar for me too. It would have to fit every single board I own though! I wear out spacebars way too far :(

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 14:40:26 »

Cool one indeed.

I think I must get one too with some other Stuff in the group buy.

Offline Jonoman92

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 15:02:03 »
EK is being annoying. They can't even update their site with an arrival date? I don't understand why they wouldn't at least start taking preorders. If they have no news by March I'm definitely never buying anything from them.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 15:13:34 »
Quote from: clickclack;296771
Show Image

Does that board have a "WTF" key? The "/" next to right shift looks like it says "WTF" on it.:suspicious:
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.

Offline Wogrim

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 16:20:31 »
Quote from: Jonoman92;296854
EK is being annoying. They can't even update their site with an arrival date? I don't understand why they wouldn't at least start taking preorders. If they have no news by March I'm definitely never buying anything from them.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=15310&page=4#52

Offline Surly73

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 16:42:59 »
Ooooh.  I've never even thought about having a titanium spacebar before today.  And now I want one.

Thanks, Geekhack!

You guys should adopt a slogan similar to headfi's: "Welcome to Geekhack, sorry about your wallet"

Offline dazed

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 17:13:03 »
Haha it does.  I've been thinking about whether to get a Filco or Leopold, but I think I can hold out another couple of months (hopefully only one month) for the Leopold.  I've been lurking geekhack, and buying a Leopold from EK seems more appealing than buying a Filco from Armygroup, considering that Majestouch checks all the keyboards and the stories I've heard about people buying Filcos from overseas.  :)  Ultimate test of patience.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 17:25:30 »
Quote from: Mr. Perfect;296860
Does that board have a "WTF" key? The "/" next to right shift looks like it says "WTF" on it.:suspicious:

Haahaaa, why yes it does, I forgot I still had that on there. XD
It's a bonded WTF and / on the key. Good eye! I thought making a wtf key would be a fun question mark replacement.
The suspicious smiley was choice btw. =)

To Rip,
Wow, a skeleton with a beard, ouch!
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 February 2011, 17:28:30 by clickclack »

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 17:39:54 »
Actually, the one who needs that WTF key is your skeliton (Ripster).  He's got the F, but ran out of room for the other two!

EDIT: unless that is a "T" above the left arrow, but then my JOAK isn't as funny...
Keyboards:

Offline Jonoman92

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 11:31:12 »
Quote from: Wogrim;296887
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=15310&page=4#52

Oh thanks for linking me to that. So to wait another month or not. Just depends if I can get a reasonably price tenkeyless with browns.

Seems the only options for that is Filco and Leopold though.

Sorry for such a crabby first post lol. I'm kinda hardcore into sc/sc2. Had no clue about mechanical keyboards a few months ago,  but now I'm determined to get one... eventually.

Offline Jonoman92

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 11:32:26 »
oh and this is a direct quote from the e-mail response I got from EK after my inquiry on January 19th.

Hi Jonathan,

Leopold keyboards will be offered for sale in February (shipping in the end
of Feb.). We'll announce the preorder in our newsletter. No price has
been set yet.

Best Regards,
Brian

Not that it's all EK's fault since their supplier didn't hold up or something. Still makes me sad though.

Offline Garry

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 19 February 2011, 06:46:23 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;296923
Actually, the one who needs that WTF key is your skeliton (Ripster).  He's got the F, but ran out of room for the other two!

EDIT: unless that is a "T" above the left arrow, but then my JOAK isn't as funny...

He's missing "L" as well. Maybe he's designing some key keycaps on that computer of his.