Author Topic: Switches now vs Switches from 7 years ago?  (Read 10521 times)

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Re: Switches now vs Switches from 7 years ago?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 11:48:52 »
You haven't tried the camomile pecan pie orbiter click box blaster switch? It's hand lubed by monks and it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo smooth crisp and tactile... :p!?

It's nice that there are a bunch of options to, hopefully, choose a switch and other things almost tailored to your exact desires. Definitely feels like some people get caught up in trying all the new stuff rather than selecting something to type daily. I appreciate the work the enthusiasts do by wading through it all, but I'm content to stick with 'old reliable' switches (Cherry) and not worry about whatever I might be missing out on.

I am waiting for the mocha acorns... which apparently are sooo tactile you need a doctor's prescription to buy them... they are also illegal in Minnesota apparently.

I can tell the difference but I dont know that I care all that much either. My old reds are less smooth that the Keychron G pros that came in the V3 I bought but that could just be because they are lubed and my cherrys aren't.

I do agree that I dont understand the tiny keyboard thing, I need all of the keys I use I don't want to mess around with layers and hotkeys or any of that. I don't even want to program my keyboard, I just want something I can plug in and it works.

I like TLKs, but a bit smaller 75 percent I like as well anything less no, I need F keys too.

Also think the hobby, maybe away from this forum, has become more about sound, looks and maybe feel in that order. I don't get or like the whole "thocky" thing and every time I hear it now I want to kick something.

I guess we are both old men yelling at the clouds.

In fairness the 75% keyboards look like they could be a reasonable option, but for me I will probably just stick with 80% TKL moving forward.

have you tried NEW cherry switches? switches that you've typed on for 7 years will be smoother than new ones

So great... it is a problem that will solve itself? if anyone thinks reds are not smooth enough  :cool:

Honestly... sort of I have a hardly ever used Rosewill RK9000 (I got very cheap and only drag out if I occasionally find a need of a numpad.) which has much less broken in mx-reds... and it is "fine",   I personally didn't notice much difference one way or the other...    I maybe the mech keyboard equivalent of "Tone deaf"???

I also have 2x boards with mx-browns  a WASD V1 and a Archiss Quattro TKL (jis w/ trackpoint)... and I barely notice any difference in them vs the reds, especially with the little o-rings on the keycaps for damping. 

here is the Archiss ... in retrospect I should have just get the English version, The JIS layout is a bit of a pain in the butt to use..     Although not because of the tiny space bar.. as it is placed exactly when my Filco's pbt key cap is shined all to heck because it is where I always hit the space bar from.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

Ok you might just have finger nerve damage lol
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline atarione

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 12:38:15 »

Well... fine I guess I did bury the lead slightly... yes I have nerve damage in my right hand due to a injury...I supposed that could be part of it, I have full range of motion thank god, but part of my right hand is pretty "tingly" basically all the time...especially now that I have thought about it.. GREAT
 302565-0

Apparently my career as a mechanical keyboard switch testing YouTuber is pretty dead in the water..before it ever began?

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 13:26:11 »
I am waiting for the mocha acorns... which apparently are sooo tactile you need a doctor's prescription to buy them... they are also illegal in Minnesota apparently.

In fairness the 75% keyboards look like they could be a reasonable option, but for me I will probably just stick with 80% TKL moving forward.

So great... it is a problem that will solve itself? if anyone thinks reds are not smooth enough  :cool:

Honestly... sort of I have a hardly ever used Rosewill RK9000 (I got very cheap and only drag out if I occasionally find a need of a numpad.) which has much less broken in mx-reds... and it is "fine",   I personally didn't notice much difference one way or the other...    I maybe the mech keyboard equivalent of "Tone deaf"???

I also have 2x boards with mx-browns  a WASD V1 and a Archiss Quattro TKL (jis w/ trackpoint)... and I barely notice any difference in them vs the reds, especially with the little o-rings on the keycaps for damping. 

here is the Archiss ... in retrospect I should have just get the English version, The JIS layout is a bit of a pain in the butt to use..     Although not because of the tiny space bar.. as it is placed exactly when my Filco's pbt key cap is shined all to heck because it is where I always hit the space bar from.
(Attachment Link)
:eek:
I'd suggest sticking to TKL if you're fond of the bit of space between the nav cluster/arrows and enter/backspace/etc. If you don't mind them being crammed together then you might be alright with 75%. I can notice the differences in what I've used, MX blue (preferred switch) normal and lubed, MX brown, and Gateron red (optical specifically), and it's never made me want to go deep down the rabbit hole of switches. I'm far enough with multiple full size boards, splits, and keypads.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 September 2023, 13:58:22 by Prince Valiant »

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 06:54:50 »

Well... fine I guess I did bury the lead slightly... yes I have nerve damage in my right hand due to a injury...I supposed that could be part of it, I have full range of motion thank god, but part of my right hand is pretty "tingly" basically all the time...especially now that I have thought about it.. GREAT
  (Attachment Link)

Apparently my career as a mechanical keyboard switch testing YouTuber is pretty dead in the water..before it ever began?

Oops  :blank:
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline loki993

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 20:53:26 »

Nah, as long and you can provide a five minute long ASMR video of you typing to "test" them thats all you need. No one on YouTube actually talks about how switches feel anymore.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 08:44:12 »

Nah, as long and you can provide a five minute long ASMR video of you typing to "test" them thats all you need. No one on YouTube actually talks about how switches feel anymore.

True. just put them in a foam box with gmk laser and see how they sound!

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 20:38:57 »
Yes.

There's an image that shows a wizened keyboard customizer. Who is using MX Browns, just like a newbie. Since [when treated properly] the MX Browns can become very good.

So you can do fine with Gateron or Cherry if they happen to fit your needs.

But a flowchart could help.

do you have the image of the "wizened keyboard customizer" is it like one of those bell curve ones? I do want to see that.

I might actually make a quick flowchart now or something as I have the time for it.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 23:20:07 »
Show Image

Lol that's pretty good.

also that reminded me of that flowchart that I didn't finish lol

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 20 September 2023, 12:39:29 »
Also think the hobby, maybe away from this forum, has become more about sound, looks and maybe feel in that order.
That roughly describes a friend of mine. Asked all sorts of questions but in the end looks and sound were the deciding factors within the budget.

Show Image

Amusing.