Author Topic: Can you help me to identify a keyboard?  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Puuuszzku

Can you help me to identify a keyboard?
« on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 13:18:59 »
Hello everyone!
Today I bought this keyboard, because it looked quite interesting and was rather cheap.

I don’t have it yet, and while I’m waiting for it to ship. I was trying to find any information about it, but any search I’ve tried, returns me to the place I bought it from.

It looks rather beefy, and old.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 August 2023, 13:20:45 by Puuuszzku »

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Can you help me to identify a keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 18:56:36 »
It's a kyocera EP-9001 keyboard (I'm not sure that this is the actual name but it seems like the model number), but like a lot of vintage keyboard stuff it's very hard to find info on it. Kyocera was an eletronics company but I don't think they made computers. They apparently made laptops so maybe it was as weird add on or something, maybe it was company keyboards idk.

If you have gotten it tell me what the switches are, I don't think it will help but this is very obscure and would like to know.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 19:02:43 »
The keycaps look suspicious. Integrated LEDs and strange rectangular cutouts could point to a Fujitsu Peerless board. The ferrite core on the cable is a bit unusual, I've got one as well on my Fujitsu Peerless board (Epson). Also, kyocera are Japanese, so it might be a Fujitsu Peerless board after all. But!
It's flat. That's quite unusual for a Fujitsu Peerless board, they're usually curved. Get the model number. If it's a Fujitsu Peerless, you'll know instantly.

-huha

Looked into it a bit more and found this thread on gh from 2009.

This could be a sort of comm custom keyboard from fujistu to kyocera employees. Sadly I can't verify if the boards are the same since ebay doesn't like you to see older sales, especially one from 2009.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Fujitsu_Peerless

Still tell me the switches and see if they look like this. Also I don't know model numbers but if someone does they can confirm with you.

Offline Puuuszzku

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 19:08:41 »
It is slider over dome. Pretty awfull too.

Even after I cleaned and lubed few keys, they are literally impossible to press, unless you press them perfectly in the middle.
 Some keycaps are made out of PBT (the non yellowed ones)

I believe, that it’s binding so badly because of some deformation or plastic degradation over years, because that keyboard is pretty much unusable.

Offline Puuuszzku

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 August 2023, 19:13:13 »
Here is one random keycap with integrated slider.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 September 2023, 17:40:59 »
It is slider over dome. Pretty awfull too.

It's always interesting to see obscure keebs like these, though... Thanks for sharing it.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg