Author Topic: bigpook is a Filco mini madman!  (Read 4241 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
bigpook is a Filco mini madman!
« on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 08:06:50 »
Quote from: bigpook
Filco Tenless w/ cherry blues
Filco Tenless w/ white xm switches
Filco Tenless w/ cherry browns
HHKB Pro2
IBM Model M Mini (sweetness)
IBM Model M
Unicomp Customizer
DasIII
HHKB Lite 2 ( would sell or trade )

Just noticed bigpook's signature.  

BP, I knew you had the brown (cherry) and white (alps), but didn't realize you had purchased all three!!  (guess I need to pay better attention)

You planning on keeping all three?  Or are you simply comparing everything available and making a choice on what to keep?

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 08:29:11 »
Isn't there a version of the Tenless with black Cherries, too, though?

Filkémon - Gotta catch 'em all!

Offline iMav

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 08:38:43 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19255
Isn't there a version of the Tenless with black Cherries, too, though?

Filkémon - Gotta catch 'em all!

Good call.  I'm FAR less impressed now . . .  

;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 09:36:52 »
Quote from: iMav;19254
Just noticed bigpook's signature.  

BP, I knew you had the brown (cherry) and white (alps), but didn't realize you had purchased all three!!  (guess I need to pay better attention)

You planning on keeping all three?  Or are you simply comparing everything available and making a choice on what to keep?

I just got the one with the blue cherries. I was going back and forth on it and ended up going for it. I like all three if that is possible, each switch type has its pros and cons.  I can't tell you which one is my favorite yet , I need more time. What I really like is the form factor and the build quality. They are really nice keyboards.
I am on the blue cherry now and I like it, its lighter then the white xm but not as clicky.

If I was going to get rid of anything right now, and I don't think I will do even that, it will be the HHKB and the Model M mini. I could see myself getting rid of everything accept for the filco's.

How I have changed in the past 9 months or so : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 09:53:16 »
Quote from: bigpook;19268
I just got the one with the blue cherries. I was going back and forth on it and ended up going for it. I like all three if that is possible, each switch type has its pros and cons.  I can't tell you which one is my favorite yet , I need more time. What I really like is the form factor and the build quality. They are really nice keyboards.
I am on the blue cherry now and I like it, its lighter then the white xm but not as clicky.

I owned the brown cherry version and currently have the blue cherry one.  I also own some white alps 'boards.  I can see the appeal of all of them.  For me, I sold the brown cherry 'board and stayed with the HHKB pro as my primary keyboard.  However, this blue-cherry equipped Filco mini has replaced my HHKB Pro as my daily driver.  I've always been a big blue Cherry fan and now, finally, there is one with an acceptable layout and sans numpad!

Quote from: bigpook;19268
If I was going to get rid of anything right now, and I don't think I will do even that, it will be the HHKB and the Model M mini. I could see myself getting rid of everything accept for the filco's.

Wow!  That is saying something coming from you.  Say what you want about the availability of decent keyboards...Diatec has stepped up and given us some truly excellent options.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 10:00:12 »
No doubt. Diatec has done a great job so far in offering a wide variety of switch types. Not sure if any other company is doing this. Too bad they are not available here in the states. The cost is the only downside. But even with the added expense, I find it acceptable.
Its just nice to be able to get a decent keyboard.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 12:40:16 »
After I got my ABS, I am considering selling the rest of my collection.  The only thing is, I really enjoy my other 'boards both in use and as collector's items.  Filcos and their clones are absolutely fantastic.  I wanted another switch type, I would be all over a Filco.

Offline billm

ABS Mini?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 13:51:13 »
If only there were such a thing.
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 15:17:44 »
Wait, what's the difference between an ABS and a Filco Zero?

Offline lam47

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 15:24:54 »
That ABS M1 is a stunner! If only they could be bought in the UK.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 15:50:57 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19307
Wait, what's the difference between an ABS and a Filco Zero?

From what I understand, the Filco Zero has the clicky white (fake) Alps, and the ABS has the non-clicky, tactile black (fake) Alps.  Otherwise, they are identical (other than the logo in upper right, and if you want the tenkeyless version of the Filco).

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 16:14:31 »
OK, the AT101W has fake Alps as well?

So if you want an ABS Tenless, you buy a Filco tenless, an AT101W, and do switch surgery. ;)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 16:23:24 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19321

So if you want an ABS Tenless, you buy a Filco tenless, an AT101W, and do switch surgery. ;)

I think wellington and I went around on that. The parts are not interchangeable. You would have to remove the entire switch in order to swap them. Which is too bad. I would have done that if I could.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 16:25:29 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;19321

No, the AT101W has real Alps.  The Filco and the ABS 'boards have fake Alps.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 16:26:57 »
Quote from: itlnstln;19291
After I got my ABS, I am considering selling the rest of my collection.  The only thing is, I really enjoy my other 'boards both in use and as collector's items.  Filcos and their clones are absolutely fantastic.  I wanted another switch type, I would be all over a Filco.

Its funny when you find the right one isn't it. All of sudden the rest of the collection loses its value. I will probably keep the model m mini though as it was such a pain in the ass to get in the first place and its a fine example of a BS keyboard, IMHO. The one I have is a beautiful specimen. I can see selling the HHKB since I could always buy another one fairly easy.
But right now I can't complain about the filco's. I know I am repeating myself but they are a very well made keyboard.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 17:50:30 »
My wife is using the das now, it would be hard to do an  honest compare as I would need to give the filco a couple of weeks and to be fair give the das the same amount of time. But I can do first impressions. I would expect the key feel to be the same though, no?
Maybe later when she is off the machine I will give it a go and post my thoughts.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 18:50:57 »
webwit
the das iii has been in heavy use by my wife and must be broken in as it feels a bit lighter on the down press then does the filco. But the filco is not even a week old yet.
Perhaps other cherry switch owners will post, it seems the blue cherries get lighter and smoother once they break in.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 January 2009, 20:32:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;19316
From what I understand, the Filco Zero has the clicky white (fake) Alps, and the ABS has the non-clicky, tactile black (fake) Alps.  Otherwise, they are identical (other than the logo in upper right, and if you want the tenkeyless version of the Filco).

I'm confused.
According to ABS M1 page, switch is supposed to be either simplified 1 or 2.  Click blade ( part No.4 ) is there. Even if the click blade does not have a projection which can be seen in regular click blade of real white alps, Northgate for example, the switch will produce clicky sound. This, Projection-less Click Leaf, is explained in paten application of ALPS, and is also confirmed by Wellington and Chloe who bent little tabs of tactile leaf. ( I once wrote in AEKII related thread that some of tactile switch may make faint click sound but I didn't explain it precisely because there is a possibility that "the mod" may be a cause of "lack of total balance of clicky sound" ).  Anyway, if switches on M1 actually have said click blade, it should make clicky sound.   If M1 is actually tactile without clicky sound, it may not have a click blade or the shape of the leaf may be different.

One thing I've been wandering about is, if there are large quantity of last production stocks of real alps blacks those used in new logo Dell AT101/102 are still available and those switches are available for new keyboard products or not...

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 February 2009, 19:13:10 »
bigpook, is that your filco mini with browns on ebay?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline bigpook

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 February 2009, 21:23:58 »
Quote from: zwmalone;20652
bigpook, is that your filco mini with browns on ebay?

Yes, I had it up a week or so ago and somebody in Korea "bought" it.
Needless to say, its back up there now.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 February 2009, 21:25:04 »
3 Filcos up on ebay right now.  I can guarantee you in a month when I acutally have money, there won't be a filco to be found :(

Offline bigpook

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 February 2009, 21:27:01 »
Quote from: zwmalone;20659
3 Filcos up on ebay right now.  I can guarantee you in a month when I acutally have money, there won't be a filco to be found :(

We'll see. I find that what is desirable and precious to me is of little or no consequence to others. : (

Offline bigpook

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 February 2009, 21:33:30 »
That guy selling the filco for 200 dollars is out of his mind.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 February 2009, 21:37:13 »
One can get that (the $200 one) for at or less than that imported couldn't they?  That's just ridiculous.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 February 2009, 04:59:39 »
Quote from: zwmalone;20665
One can get that (the $200 one) for at or less than that imported couldn't they?  That's just ridiculous.

Right. However, there may be those that do not want to deal with that. Ebay is easier and more comfortable. There is always a price for convenience.